Maclaren Stroller - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-16-2006, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello!

My best friend has a 6 yr old daughter with CP. She cannot walk and has frequent seizures and muscle spasms which makes her quite difficult to carry. We just went out and got her a sling after she tried mine and loved it (we should have thought about that 6 yrs ago!) anywhoo, she was mentionning that her DD is growing out of conventional strollers, her toes are hanging over the end and dragging. She is in the middle of getting a wheelcchair and walker for her, but would like to have something a little more compact for everyday use. What she wants is a Maclaren stoller (I don't know if there are different kinds, but the ones she described was long enough for a 6yr old and folded in half like an umbrella stroller)

She said they cost about $800 and are made only in the UK so there would be shipping on top of that. Any subsidy she's eligable for will be exhausted with the wheelchair and walker for school.

Does anyone have one of these or know where to find them for a little less $$ ??

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#2 of 11 Old 05-16-2006, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've seen quite a few on ebay.

Search for maclaren major turned up these 3
#3 of 11 Old 05-16-2006, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, she said she had checked ebay with no luck, maybe they go quick!?
I've left her a message with that link, hopefully it can help.

thanks again!

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#4 of 11 Old 05-16-2006, 10:15 AM

They sell those at Baby Style stores. I think I have seen them at Babies R Us too.
They may have them at the Right Start.
#5 of 11 Old 05-16-2006, 01:01 PM

Can she sit up with help? I wonder if a wagon might be an option. I hope she gets the chair soon. That's crazy that she still doesn't have one at her age. Is insurance being stingy?

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#6 of 11 Old 05-16-2006, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

She can sit up, but it's the muscle spasms and seizures that are an issue there. She doesn't always have control over them. And a wagon's kinda bulky/awkward to get around with.

She's had a 'loaner' wheelchair for the past year or so while they wait on getting her her own. But that pretty much stays at daycare/school because of its bulk I assume??

I've found a few sites that sell it for a 'reasonable' price ($450ish) so that's better than the $800....maybe she was just looking in the wrong places??

As for Right Start and babies R Us, they appear to carry Maclaren strollers, but not the 'major'/special needs one she is looking for.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions mamas, I hope she can get herself one soon. This woman deals with a lot in her life and anything that can make it easier is well deserved!

#7 of 11 Old 05-17-2006, 02:31 AM

i would have her check on ebay.co.uk
then maybe a seller would ship to her in the usa. it would be a lot cheaper

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

#8 of 11 Old 05-18-2006, 09:58 PM

I noticed that you are in Guelph - if your friend is close to Toronto, there is a store in Toronto that sells Maclaren strollers. I bought mine there. I don't know if they have the model she wants - but she could always phone and check. The store is called Maclems and it's located on Dundas St. at Bloor St in the Westend.
#9 of 11 Old 05-19-2006, 01:08 AM

I know sometimes different organizations like here the united cerebal palsy foundation, have lending libraries where families can borrow strollers or chairs for as long as needed?

I suggest stalking ebay, its not everyday you find a stroller/wheelchair but when you do they are usually at pretty substantial savings. Another kind of chair she can look into is a convaid. They have several different models based on the needs of the child and can be very light and fold like an umbrella. They also come if fun colors! I know all it because we are on our second for my dd who is almost 7. It was truly a lifesaver~!
Good luck

Proud mom of three!  Special needs teen princess wheelchair.gif , 7 year old happy girl modifiedartist.gif , and my flower toddlerhearts.gif

#10 of 11 Old 05-22-2006, 01:03 AM

I think the store in kitchener nursery rhymes? sells them so they can special order if you need it.

I like kiddies world in miss. or you could call around to the consignment stores once upon a child (I believe they are connected with the computer systems) but call the company directly they will tell you who they distribute to, tell them the story and who knows they might donate one brand new if you call on your friends behalf and write a few letters.

8 might be enough
#11 of 11 Old 05-24-2006, 12:06 AM

You might also try the Yahoo Special Equipment Exchange Group. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SpecialChildExchange/ Just post a message saying what you need and see if somebody has one.

In my experience, it is very hard to get a second chair and get anybody to pay for it. Nobody really cares about convenience. Which is why I lug my dd's 90 pound chair up and down the steps each day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page