New Roll-Call - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 70 Old 03-10-2003, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Now that we have our own (sub) folder, let's get re-acquianted!

I'm Khris, SAHM and homeschooler to Jack who is now 7 and has Asperger's Syndrome and possibly Bi-Polar disorder, and Lucy who is 3 with Post Trumatic Stress (medical).

Welcome one and all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 70 Old 03-10-2003, 06:06 PM

Hi! I'm Rose, Mama to 2 year old Anna Esther and 7.5 month old Thomas. Anna has a profound speech delay and some sensory issues. She is responding well to therapy and I think she will be caught up by her 3rd birthday in October. Thomas had a stroke while in utero that wasn't discovered until his second day of life. His prognosis is uncertain. Currently he is mildly developmentally delayed, with some stiffness in his muscles and tongue thrust problems. He may also have brain damage and no periphreal vision. They just don't know yet. Although he is perfect in my eyes, it hurts my heart that other people will not see him the way I do, kwim?

Looking forward to getting to know all of you!
#3 of 70 Old 03-10-2003, 06:10 PM

Hello everyone!
I am peggy, SAHM to six beautiful children.
Molly 5, has achondroplasia (dwarfism) and Timothy 22, has OCD.

I'm glad we're all here for each other!
#4 of 70 Old 03-10-2003, 06:26 PM

Hi, I am Kim mom to three children. Elizabeth is 6, Dylan is 2, and Jack is 1.
We adopted Dylan from birth and he has fetal alcohol spectrum disorder. His special needs range in that he has sensory issues, ADHD, and he has very aggressive tendencies that can turn violent. Dylan is also developmentally way above his physical age cognitively and physically which makes parenting often very difficult.

Kim
#5 of 70 Old 03-10-2003, 07:01 PM

Hi, I'm Wendy mom to 3 boys scott who's 6 and has Aspergers & ADHD. Walker, 5, Reigers syndrome and Caldwell 1 possible Reigers as well.
glad to hear from others
#6 of 70 Old 03-10-2003, 11:11 PM

I am Jerri, mom to two boys. Tanner is 11 and has Aspergers and a very wonderful, tiring two year old named Deegan. My oldest son has been homeschooled since first grade, he is now in 5th grade. Glad to meet (remeet?) everyone.

Jerri
#7 of 70 Old 03-10-2003, 11:42 PM

Posting here is a big step for me...I'm new to this.

Hi everyone, I'm Jesse! Mama to Violet and Zoe. Violet is 2.8 years and Zoe is nearly 5 weeks old.

Violet has some pretty serious speech delays and possible hearing loss--we are in the process of getting her evaluated. She has a speech eval. tomorrow and a hearing eval. later in the month.

Its a scary time for us.

Jesse
#8 of 70 Old 03-11-2003, 10:52 AM

We're right there with you Indiegirl. We just got a confirmation of what we've been wondering about for a long time. It's really kind of scary, you've got this same great kid you've always had but suddenly, it feels like somehow your responsibilities have somehow tripled. I still have lots of questions, but I'm trying to sort through things and figure out what is really going to be helpful for us. Nice to have you here.

Jerri
#9 of 70 Old 03-11-2003, 01:38 PM

Hi I am Cerridwen
My dear son #2 aka Babyzilla is age 6
PDDNOS
Expressive Receptive Language Disorder
Sensory Integration Disorder

though he is waiting for his final OT and Speech appts. the ice storm here killed them as scheduled!

My teen has ADHD and still has a touch of ODD from time to time.
Its nothing like it used to be

Like Khris we homeschool all four of our munchkins
#10 of 70 Old 03-11-2003, 04:57 PM

I'm Andrea and I have twins who just turned three who were born at 29 weeks. they have global developmental delays, and sensory integration disorder. one much much more severe. the one who is more severe has low muscle tone, proprioceptive issues, vestibular issues (the other one has vestibular issues too), self stimulates verbally (ie screaming, spitting, and making other noises that are very ummm annoying) and also needs deep pressure and briuses himself by pinching himself (gawd I hate writing all this down) he seems to feel no pain at all - he fell on the playground on sunday from the monkey bars so hard that everyone around heard the thud and he just got up and kept on playing... he also stuffs food in his mouth and will keep something behind his teeth for hours... he also has bowel problems due to the low tone and he always either has diarreah or constipation
I also have a 21 month old who was full term but is not devoloping speechwise b/c he has "innapropriate role models" :
okay that's it for now...

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

#11 of 70 Old 03-11-2003, 08:21 PM

Hello!

I am mom to 3 kids, ages 2, 4, and 7. My 7yo has Tourette's Syndrome and occasional bouts of OCD. We are homeschooling him for first grade after public schooling him for kindergarten.

I'm glad this forum is here. I do not post often, but I am a big reader. Just wanted to let everyone know I'm here, and I'll try to be better about posting. I'm on the quiet side in real life, too !
#12 of 70 Old 03-11-2003, 08:24 PM

nice to meet, or remeet, all of you!

i have often posted here about my best friend's daughter, hannah. she was dx in 2001 with pdd. i have known her since her birth & she is closer to me than if she were my niece.

i am so excited because i have just been hired as hannah's in home mental health aide. 20-30 hrs. per week i will be in her home, helping her, playing with her, just loving her. she is amazing. i am planning to just follow her around & do whatever she does, all day long. i sat with her, on her dining room table one day, & stacked plastic cups w/ her over & over again. i kept thinking, why am i having SO much fun?! but i was!

a friend has a child w/ down's syndrome, she was w/a group of her friends who were all discussing their children. one of them all of a sudden looked at her & said, oh, we are SO sorry. she was like, sorry for what? they were apologizing for talking about their "normal" kids in front of her. she is so awesome, she said, don't apologize to me, i feel sorry for YOU! not one of them has a relationship w/ her kids like she has w/ hers.

i tried & tried the other day to MAKE myself feel sorry for hannah, & i truly could not think of one reason. she is amazing.

peace & love to you all in your journeys. i am so glad this forum is here!

love, jenny
#13 of 70 Old 03-13-2003, 01:57 AM

Hi, I am Katie with a nearly 8 month old DS who has Hirschsprung's Disease. He has a colostomy now. We haven't scheduled his pull-though just yet, but it will be done in April, May or June.

Glad there's a board here for me.
#14 of 70 Old 03-13-2003, 10:12 AM

Just wanted to say WELCOME!! to everyone!!
#15 of 70 Old 03-13-2003, 10:45 AM

I am step mommy to a kiddo who has been diagnosed as PDD (non specific).
I also have an extensive background in working with and advocating for Individuals with special needs. I managed a group home for some time and then worked as a technician and evaluator in an Assistive Technology Center. We worked with people of all ages and disabilities and did assessments, evaluations, implementation and training for the local school systems.
glad to "meet" everyone!
andrea
#16 of 70 Old 03-13-2003, 10:50 AM

I'm Laura SAHM to Samantha age 5. We are currently testing for ADHD,OCD,TS,and Aspergers. Abigail is her little sister who will be 3 in April.
DH has MS.
So we keep pretty busy around here
#17 of 70 Old 03-13-2003, 11:04 AM

hi there!i have a soon to be 13 yr old ds called ali.he ws delivered by a former o.b. who delivered him 6 wks early because i was crying too much.he had trouble at birth.all his life he's had problems and was given several diagnoses.he's usuall considered learning disabled.he's my heart!
#18 of 70 Old 03-13-2003, 02:59 PM

Hi! I have a dd, Sara, with ADD and severe dyslexia! So far, the ds's seem ok(but its hard to tell when their two!)

Deb
#19 of 70 Old 03-18-2003, 10:54 AM
Banned

Hi. I'm Shannon, mom to 3 boys and a baby on the way. My twins were born at 29 weeks due to TTTS and the donor twin, Emmet has a heart defect. He also has PDD, FTT, asthma, right-sided weakness, speech problems, and SID. Gus has PDD, and I'm in the process of getting him tested for SID. My 2 year old is perfectly normal 'cept he lives here! LOL! The baby I'm carrying has me worried, as I lost a tremendous amount of blood at 11 weeks. Time will tell.....
#20 of 70 Old 03-18-2003, 05:51 PM

hey there,

my daughter is almost fourteen months old and she has down syndrome (as you may have noticed from my little replied shout out to all the ds mamas )

i'm glad to meet you and hope that we become a support to one another.

~ star baby
#21 of 70 Old 03-23-2003, 01:41 AM

Hi everyone.

My name is Ellen and I have 3 children. 8yo dd, 5yo ds, and a 4yo ds with down syndrome. His name is Duncan. We all call him "pie guy".

El
#22 of 70 Old 03-28-2003, 06:06 AM

I'm Kelly. Homeschooling Mom to Elizabeth (almost 12), Jonathan (8 - Autistic), Matthew (3), and Kathryn (14 months)
#23 of 70 Old 04-04-2003, 03:25 PM

new to all of this... I'm Anna, SAHM to Aleksander, born with a WIDE complete unilateral cleft lip & palate. He's 7 mo and has had two reconstructive surgeries on his lip & soft & hard palate and is scheduled for a third in May. I tried joining a cleft discussion group online, but never got any response, so I'm here.

He's done pretty well, but had breathing issues at his first stay in the hospital (was way too doped up on coedine, so second time around we made the nurses be careful about the doseage) and then didn't eat for five days after his second surgery and got dehydrated, so he had to have an IV (the original one from surgery he kicked out of his leg) put in his head. He couldn't breastfeed at birth (couldn't form suction), so I've been pumping for 7 1/2 months, feeding him with a special cleft nurser. He's been a tough scar-former so the surgeon thinks he needs more lip revisions.

He might be done with all his surgeries when he's in his early 20s. He's got lip revision at 3 yo, bone graft & lip revision at 8, braces maybe at 8, rhinoplasties (nose jobs) that won't start til 16, and then I think he'll get a tooth implant at 20-something for the section of gum he's missing. He'll also probably need agressive speech therapy. He's a great baby though, loves his mommy and rides in the sling.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#24 of 70 Old 04-13-2003, 01:23 AM

My 3 year old dd has a profound phonological disorder, mild gross motor delays, sensory issues and some autism spectrum behaviors. She's also got the best sense of humor that I've ever seen on a kid in my life.

My 5 year old has also always had sensory issues, but I think we didn't notice them for a long time because she was cognitively and physically advanced for her age. She seems to be mastering a lot of her issues with age and attention, which is great.

We homeschool, and for our family, this is the best situation for the girls continued growth and development.

I'm looking forward to spying on the collective wisdom of all of the mamas here, and hopefully adding a bit of my own
#25 of 70 Old 04-14-2003, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi I guess I belong here to. Madeline is 6 1/2 and has SID (thanks to he stay in the NICU where she didn't bel;ong in the first place). Lilyka is 3 and starting to imitate her sister : and Ava is 4 months.:binky and innocently unaware of the complete chaos around her.

Sandra

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#26 of 70 Old 06-22-2003, 07:08 AM

Hi, I am Rachel and my six month old son Samuel has Down Syndrome. He is our first baby.

I previously spent time on the TTC boards and then the Pregnancy boards here, but since Sam was born in December haven't logged in more than a couple of times. I felt like my issues were too different, I guess (plus, who has time when they are caring for an infant?). What I'm trying to say is I was very happy to find this forum tonight.

I just realized the other day that for the first time since Sam was born, I am 100%, completely, totally okay with the fact that he has Down's, and wouldn't change a hair on his beautiful head. It's not that I've been upset for six months, but there has been a tiny part of me that at times has felt sad, cheated, envious, or overwhelmed, despite my intense love for my wonderful boy.

Today I am really at peace. Wishing the same for all of you,

Rachel

p.s. to Anna - pumping for 7 1/2 months!!!!! I am so in awe of you! I only made it for 11 weeks before the pain and exhaustion got too much for me (I had poor flow because of having had breast reduction surgery). Now I get donated milk from the Milk Bank. Aleksander is so lucky to have you as his mama!
#27 of 70 Old 06-22-2003, 12:00 PM

Welcome, Rachel. I wish you and Samuel all the best.

An update on Aleksander (if it's okay to post this here) - He's now 10 months old & just had his 3rd surgery Tuesday the 10th of June (almost 2 weeks ago). This surgery went great and he was home the next day! He's been a bit grumpier than usual, but he's stopped waking up in the middle of the night for his Tylenol dose and is back to his usual destructive behavior (even at this moment, there are cheerios all over the office floor).

I'm also still pumping, though at the moment I'm taking fenugreek trying to get my supply up because he keeps eating me out of house & home!

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#28 of 70 Old 06-29-2003, 05:00 AM

Im Nikki. Mother to David who is 5 & has a rare Genetic disorder.. Peroxisomal Disorder..
he is severaly disabled.. has very low muscle tone.. blind. hearing impaired, g-tube fed, tracheotomy.. you name it

heres his site & has a link to his story.. its lonnnnnnnnnng though.. so if you got a few hours..lol
http://www.angelfire.com/hi3/davidsweb/Page1.html
#29 of 70 Old 07-10-2003, 10:44 AM

Hi! I posted on the other roll call before seeing this one so I will cross post my reply!

By the way Anna that's wonderful you are pumping. I only made it 6 months. My daughter couldn't nurse either do to her heart condition that went undiagnosed til almost 4 months. At first she was being classified as failure to thrive.

Have you ever seen the yahoo group pumpmoms? They have LOTS of great ideas on increasing milk supply.

I'm Leah and I have a 9 month old named Salem with heart problems. Her biggest issue is hypertropic cardiomyopathy where basically the heart muscle just works too hard and thus thickens. She is on a beta blocker and we do routine echos and ekgs to make sure it's still working. She also has pulmonary stenosis, a mytral valve leak and a VSD. The pulmonary stenosis may cause a need for surgery later.

http://www.besthearthealth.com/heart...cardiomyopathy

Because of her heart problems and a couple of physical markers she is being screened by a geneticist for Noonan's Syndrome. The geneticist saw her at 6 months and said she had a couple of markers but not a lot and we go back to be re-evaluted at 1 year. Unfortunately they don't have the genes isolated that causes Noonans so it's a purely clinical diagnosis.

http://noonansyndrome.org/home.html
#30 of 70 Old 07-22-2003, 11:45 PM

just posted this on the other roll call
ds is 2y.o. dx shortly after birth with renal insufficiency secondary to posterior urthral valves. progressed to end stage renal dieses at 10 months(started dialysis).failed transplant at 24 months(my kidney)and is scheduled for transplant # 2(from a way more than generous friend) on 8/7!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page