Wearing baby w/ medical equipment? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-22-2006, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD #4 is 6 wks old & had a g-button placed about a month ago. She is on oxygen, an apnea montor & a feeding pump. She cries constantly unless she is being held, so I spend a tremendous amount of time holding her and her equipment. Has anyone actually worn a baby who has either a fairly new g-button or has a medical device that has tubes/wires/cords? How did you manage? I would ask one of her doctors, but they are way too mainstream to understand why I would want to carry her all the time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2006, 11:18 PM

I have and it can be done but you gotta get creative and also sometimes request special equipment. Is baby continously fed? If so, you may be able to request a smaller, portable unit. USAMMA is the person to ask about this. Regarding O2, at home, we got an oxygen concentrator and connected two 25 ft cords. That allowed me to move nearly freely throughout the house without having as much equipment issues. You can also ask for the small oxygen tanks and strap it to your back and connect the cannula directly to the tank. The apnea monitor wouldn't really be necessary unless baby needs to be on ALL the time. We found that when we were with ds, he didn't need it as we were always alert.

HTH
Old 08-23-2006, 02:30 AM

Hi! My dd has a gbutton too, and she spent a lot of her time (well, still does sometimes) on continous feeds. If you need a smaller feeding pump try the Zevex Enteralite or Zevex Infinity. They are so tiny and can be operated in any position, even worn on the backs of crawling and newly walking toddlers!

Before Nitara got her awesome Zevex pump I used to wear her in a backpack or a front back and would hang the shoulder strap of the pump on me somewhere. I saw pics of a little boy on another board who is on oxygen and his dad hung the tank off the frame of the backpack somehow. Or you could just drag the IV pole or oxygen cart around with you. I did that a lot too, when I was still figuring things out.

The button should heal pretty quckly as far as it being sesitive to the touch. It should only take about 2-4 weeks. It won't fully heal for months but in a short time it should be possible for your baby to be worn close to you. For a refluxer, the front back (Snugli type) or a backpack is best. A sling is okay once a baby can sit up on the hip, otherwise it made Nitara's reflux really bad.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Old 08-24-2006, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

We've got the Infinity pump, the tiny oxygen tank & a fairly portable apnea monitor - I just haven't figured out how to juggle it & get the baby in the sling without hurting her. If the g-button site is still draining is it ok to put her in a sling or should I wait? She has very poor muscle control (virtually no ontrol over neck muscles) so I'm not sure when we will be able to try the upright carriers, even those that are for newborns require a little more control than she has right now.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:58 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I don't know about the equipment angle, but I just remember that my daughter's surgeon and her pediatric GI recommended against using slings for a while after the surgery because it would scrunch up her tummy. (she had intestinal surgery)

I would definitely wait on the sling. I found that an Ergo carrier worked when she was older. Both of my daughters had GERD and did much better upright than in slings.

Good luck, I hope it goes well.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:18 PM

Oooh you have the Infinity! I'm a little bit jealous! We have the Enteralite. Okay so did you get the super mini backpack with that pump? If you don't have it, ask the rep for one and they should give you one even if HH says no.

If her tummy is still oozing that's okay. In fact that's usually a good sign that it's healing well. Don't be scared about the ooze, and don't cover her stoma with gauze because it will cause granulation tissue to grow faster. Open air is best. The ooze should get better in a month or two at the most. Probably sooner.

Okay so assuming she doesn't have good trunk support but she had okay head support, you can probably use an Ergo or a Baby Trekker. The Trekker is really great and has more body support for bigger kids and can be worn front or back, facing in our facing out. It's very comfy, too. I currently have the Ergo which is great, but it doesn't have as much support for older kids.

So put her in a front carrier facing you. Sling the oxygen over one shoulder (it has a bag of some sort, right?) and then sling the infinity pump over the other shoulder. That super mini bag is so tiny you can probably even attach it to the front carrier in front of her somehow. You can also stuff it into a fanny pack if that would be easier, and wear it around your waist loosly. I used to do that with Nitara's old pump that came with a fanny pack.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Old 08-25-2006, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Where else but MDC could you find amazing advice like Darshani's about how to wear your baby while toting her medical equipment?

I'm just so impressed with MDC. I'm impressed with Cynthia for having the wisdom to make Darshani a mod, too.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:23 AM

I have a now 3yo and I wore her in a Snuggli starting from birth. She had/has no head control or trunk control and it worked out just fine if I strapped her tight leaning onto my chest. She also cried nonstop unless I held her, so I know all about that! The sling did not work at all for her. I did this days after she got her Gbutton with no problems.

As for the medical equipment, I usually wore the feeding pump backpack myself (we have the Enteralite). Now she has a TPN pump (IV pump) and sometimes also the Enteralite too. Usually I wear the TPN pump and bag on my back, and if she has the feeding pump hook that onto the TPN bag or even onto a belt loop (she has the SuperMini Backpack). It definitely can be done...it may just take a bit of experimentation to get your specific equipment hooked on.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:03 AM

We are constantly bringing every carrier we have to use in the hospital when hooked up to various aparati (is that the word?)....

When our babe had a stoma put in, his belly was very tender, but he still liked being held close in a sling or eventually in a mei tai. I think the mei tai is a little easier because you can put the straps through this that and the other while you are holding the equipment already.

mv
Old 08-29-2006, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

I've got the super mini backpack. Our HH company had never ordered from Zevex before & they couldn't believe how light & how tiny the pump & backpack are!

Glad to hear that the drainage is a good thing. I was starting to wonder. Now if we can just get rid of the granulation tissue

Guess I'll have to check out the Ergo & Trekker this afternoon.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter

Checked out the Ergo. Would a Babyhawk XT work?
Old 08-30-2006, 03:48 AM

You could always try it and sell it on the trading post if it didn't.

User Tag List