Anesthesia for MRI??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 09-17-2006, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone here had an MRI done on their dc? My nephew is supposed to have one but instead of sedation, they use anesthesia. He will not be completely out but semi-unconscious (my sister wasn't sure of the details) and monitored by an anesthesiologist the whole time. They are looking for brain inflammation. He was recently dx'ed w/ high-functioning autism. Thanks.

Edited to add: He will be 4 in November.
#2 of 14 Old 09-17-2006, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Wish they would knock me out for my MRI's! I hate those things and the noise hurts my ears, I would think it would freak out a kid with autism. Anyway my 3 mo old had an MRI last month and was under GA, its standard precedure for anyone under 8 at the childrens hospital as they dont have the ability to stay totally still for an hour.

Seriously?
#3 of 14 Old 09-17-2006, 11:52 PM

Yep ~ lots of MRI's done here, too. My kids have always been sedated/put out, as well, since their MRI series take 2-3 hours to do and there's no way they'd lay still that long.

It's a cinch, actually. They go without eating for 6 hours prior to the procedure and without drinking for 2 hours prior. They get a tiny bit of Versed orally and then go back for the MRI. The anesthesiologist gives them a tiny bit of gas (tells the kid they are going to blow up a balloon for him) and when they're out, he puts in an IV. They have the scan, then go to recovery until they wake up fully and are back to normal. Honestly, it's never been a big deal for any of my kids, NT or Aspie or autism.

Good luck to your nephew. I hope his MRI goes well.
#4 of 14 Old 09-18-2006, 12:13 AM

My son was 3 when he had one. Was put completely under. Other than being very angry after it was all done it all turned out fine.
#5 of 14 Old 09-18-2006, 12:24 AM

OT- Kate (momto3g3b)! I was just talking about you the other day. How are you and the kiddos doing?

Back on topic... the only experience I have the my kiddo and an MRI is that the sedation didn't work. They gave him as much sedation as they could for his body size but he never actually went to sleep. So if he does end up getting the MRI he'll need to be put under general anesthesia.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#6 of 14 Old 09-18-2006, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQMama
Has anyone here had an MRI done on their dc? My nephew is supposed to have one but instead of sedation, they use anesthesia. He will not be completely out but semi-unconscious (my sister wasn't sure of the details) and monitored by an anesthesiologist the whole time. They are looking for brain inflammation. He was recently dx'ed w/ high-functioning autism. Thanks.

Edited to add: He will be 4 in November.
My daughter had anesthesia for her MRI this summer (she's 3). It's standard procedure at this hospital for children 3-8 for long MRIs as they can mentally fight off the regular sedation and tolerate the anesthesia much better.

It sounds scary I know, but it's fairly straightforward. We had the same process that momto3g3b mentioned with Versed, gas, anesthesia. She tolerated it very well. The only slight issue was that she fought off the Versed for a long time. They actually doublechecked if they had given her the right dosage because she was still so awake. It was actually a moment of levity in the whole thing.
#7 of 14 Old 09-18-2006, 11:10 PM

My daughter (4 months old at the time) in June had anesthesia with the MRI. I had to stop nursing 4 hours prior. As soon as she was out I was able to nurse and hold her. Oh she wasn't happy. Screamed her head off as she was coming out. But she was ok. Just disoriented.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#8 of 14 Old 09-19-2006, 12:16 AM

Am I the only one who's child was not sedated for an MRI? I actually told them that if they had to do general anesthesia on him he wouldn't be having it done. We were at Cook Children's and I was terribly unimpressed by everything they did that day. The Dr who reffered us said sedation, but when I got the confirmation letter they said general anesthesia. When I called they told me that the Dr (who works for them and is head of the department mind you) was wrong and it had to be general anesthesia, and that I wouldn't be allowed to go with him. I said no way no how. When we got there he had had to be up all night because we were doing a sleep deprevation EEG first. We had to wait an extra hour because they had lost the Tech : . After that we rushed over for his MRI. I told them if he fell asleep we could try it, but we wouldn't be putting him totally under. He did fall asleep, they put headphones on him playing white noise and he slept through the whole thing with me by his side. I then carried him to another room for the ABR, he never woke up. He was about 2.5 yrs at the time. Just as I had suspected the MRI never turned anything up, infact none of the testing that day told us anything except what he didn't have. I wasn't willing to risk his life over a test that I had a feeling was useless anyway. He was eventually diagnosed with PDD NOS, SPD and Speech Delay. You can have an MRI on a child without general anesthesia or sedation.
#9 of 14 Old 09-19-2006, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
You can have an MRI on a child without general anesthesia or sedation.
Not when your child is less than 4 months old. There is no way my child at that age could of gone through an MRI. Unless I was in the MRI machine holding her.

So I totally think it depends on the age of the child and the reason they are getting the MRI. Without the MRI they wouldn't of been able to make a proper diagnosis on my daughter.

So yes, if you ask me, I feel anthesia was our best solution. My daughters future depended upon it.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#10 of 14 Old 09-19-2006, 03:36 AM

My son has had quite a few MRIs, all with sedation or general anesthesia. No problems, just a little grogginess afterwards.
#11 of 14 Old 09-19-2006, 08:49 PM

Quote:
I wasn't willing to risk his life over a test that I had a feeling was useless anyway.

You can have an MRI on a child without general anesthesia or sedation.
I'm sure you can, but it's not all that easy. For you, it worked b/c they did a sleep deprivation test all night beforehand. But you know, if your child is a light sleeper, etc, then even keeping them up all night won't work for you.

My dd just had hers done last week. And while I knew the test would come back normal, I also knew I had to have this done to be certain. I could sit here all day and say "Oh, she doesn't need an MRI" convincingly, but at the end of the day, I worried that maybe we were missing something. Now I know, can strike one more thing off the medical checklist, and one more worry off my list.

My child has undiagnosed developmental delays. There is nothing obvious about her that makes you think she has this or that. Her therapists are constantly confused by her, and the neurologist can't give us a clue to what she has. For us, an MRI made sense.

This wasn't something we looked forward to. I weigh what tests my daughter has carefully. I hate having bloodwork done b/c it makes her so sad. Ironically, the MRI was less traumatic than getting blood drawn. She made friends with the medical staff, danced around in her little gown, played with the mask, waved bye bye to people going off to have minor surgery, and was just this happy little sprite making people feel better. She didn't cry at all when we handed her off to the neurologist, and when she woke up, she gave us one small pout, but then smiled and said "hi!" I'm still a little stunned at how smoothly it all went - even the staff there were commenting about how easy going she was about all this!
#12 of 14 Old 09-20-2006, 12:22 PM

nak
versed then gen anast. here too. went smoothly.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

#13 of 14 Old 09-20-2006, 12:32 PM

i am not a med taker & don't do tylenol for fevers unless it is really high and it is a choice between ER and trying some fever reducer. (not to get rid of fever, just get it to non-scary) however, i demand versed as soon as we walk into a hospital for testing and blood work. there is no reason for him to suffer that level of stress and it is not possible to do any tests unmedicated (even taking temperature) without several adults holding him down. there is very little worse than a totally terrified flaling child when all you want to do is help. the med staff also treat him much more gently because they can when he is chilled out and relaxed with meds.

when people are SO anti meds in all situations I mostly think they should be thankful that it is a viable option for them. it isn't for a lot of us here in SN.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

#14 of 14 Old 09-20-2006, 07:49 PM

My son has high functioning autism, they did an mri before he was dx'd to rule out other things. He was given half a xanax before the mri instead of sedation. Ask if they can do that instead, it worked out well for us and was a good compromise for me. I didn't want him put under.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page