EI and feeding tube - Mothering Forums

#1 of 10 Old 10-19-2006, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I really want to try Nitara out in preschool sometime, to be around other kids who eat. We cannot afford preschool. When she turns 3 I was thinking about seeing if I can get her into an EI preschool. Do you think she would qualify based solely on her feeding tube? She also has garbled speech. Her actual language skills and motor skills and cognitive skills are on track.

What do you think? Is it worth my time to pursue it, or is EI usually based on other things besides feeding/speech issues?

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 10-19-2006, 02:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would think it is definately something that falls under the umbrella of EI. I know that speech and language delays/differences do, at least in my state.
#3 of 10 Old 10-19-2006, 08:47 AM

In our state if a child has a medical disorder ONLY they qualify under "Part C" for whatever services are appropriate. Our younger son had torticollis but no developmental delay. In his case he qualified for PT through Part C. It was no charge to us but was not carried out by the EI therapists - we were allowed to choose between two hospital therapists as far as who would serve him. As soon as he was "recovered" the therapy was discontinued. Our older son has multiple medical issues along with global delays and now autism. He qualified for all EI services and was served by the Birth to Three, or EI, team. If Nitara's were evaluated by our EI team, her speech difficulties would have to qualify her for EI services, or possibly if the reason behind her feeding tube is due to something that would qualify her for OT or ST services that would be another way for her to qualify (such as oral aversion maybe, or oral motor issues). The screening request can be initiated by parents and is free of charge, at least where we are, so you could certainly check into it. You might consider having her served at home through a Birth to Three program if possible initially, even if for only a short time, because here a child who qualifies for Birth to Three I believe automatically qualifies for the EI preschool when they turn three. Good luck!

Mamma to three boys : We love :::

#4 of 10 Old 10-19-2006, 10:33 AM

When she turns 3, she will not be eligible for Early Intervention services. Part C (EI) is only for kids birth to three. At three years old, she would have to transition to the public school system (Part B of IDEA), and their criteria for eligibility are stricter. Children in EI do not automatically qualify and must meet the eligibility standards of Part B. HOWEVER, you can and should request an evaluation for eligibility from the school if she is nearing three, because if she has measurable delays in speech or other areas she may qualify for a preschool program.
#5 of 10 Old 10-19-2006, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info! I was mistaken about terminology, I guess. She did get services for birth-3. She graduated from OT, and her feeding therapist also discharged her last year. Not because she was off the tube, but because her eating skills are up to age level. The feeding therapist's goal was to get her up to age level eating skills and get her over her fear and sensory issues around food. That has, for the most part, been achieved. She still has sensory issues but not enough to interfere with eating when she wants to eat.

She just isn't hungry and won't eat unless she's in the mood (for social reasons more than for hunger). Her speech is not *that* bad I guess, but her eval for feeding/speech showed that her pronunciation is not great. It's hard to understand her if she doesn't live with you. Her actual language use is ahead of the curve.

I guess I'll just wait until she's 3 and get an eval. It won't hurt anything to try, right? I would love to get her into preschool part time to help with the feeding issues. I have a feeling that if the speech issues are not addressed now, they will have to be when she starts K.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#6 of 10 Old 10-19-2006, 12:59 PM

You can call the school district and ask for an eval. Integrated preschool is free once they turn 3, but they can start the eval process a few months before to get an IEP in place. Jake started a week or so after he turned 3. We already had our autism dx, but still needed to have the full workup through the school. I think if he was delayed in 2 or more areas, was the criteria for the school.

I think you're in Chandler district, here's a link to their contact numbers. http://ww2.chandler.k12.az.us/contact.html

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#7 of 10 Old 10-21-2006, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

I got a big packet to fill out and gather info, records, etc. Wow! Looks like it will take a lot of effort. I read that you have to be delayed in 2 areas to qualify and really, the only signficant delay is her eating. So then I called the special ed director of the school district and told her that I don't want to waste their time or mine, and told her a little bit about Nitara. She said they did have kids like her with just the feeding issues and the tube-- they want to try to get them off the tube by K so they don't have to hire a nurse to help with feedings. It's based on priority and if they have enough room, but she said it might be worth my while to fill out the paperwork and see. I guess we will know in a couple of mos.

#8 of 10 Old 10-22-2006, 02:40 AM

It's worth it to go in for the eval, maybe they can find something else in the educational realm that you're not looking for/aware of, you know?

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#9 of 10 Old 10-22-2006, 03:44 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I guess we will go forward with it and see what happens. It would be good to get another eval on her anyway. It's been a long time since she's had an overall OT/PT eval. Thanks for the link!

#10 of 10 Old 10-31-2006, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuggly mama View Post
When she turns 3, she will not be eligible for Early Intervention services. Part C (EI) is only for kids birth to three. At three years old, she would have to transition to the public school system (Part B of IDEA), and their criteria for eligibility are stricter. Children in EI do not automatically qualify and must meet the eligibility standards of Part B. HOWEVER, you can and should request an evaluation for eligibility from the school if she is nearing three, because if she has measurable delays in speech or other areas she may qualify for a preschool program.

Exactly what I was going to say

Me : , husband ,daughter Raven : 10-28-95 :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page