Need PDD info - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-22-2003, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter
pie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well my boy (three and a half) is starting testing with our school district. We met yesterday with the speech pathologist and the psychologist and they were very anxious to start testing and observation.

The problem is, aside from me being very teary eyed and exhausted about it all, and trying to cope with this, is that I have no real idea what PDD is or where to learn about it. Is it in the same group as autism? I have heard PDD is not a diagnosis but an umbrella term. How can I explain it to relatives and friends? How can I explain it to my son? Should I? He might not understand but then he might.

Thanks in advance mamas.
#2 of 9 Old 04-28-2003, 12:28 AM

My son has PDD NOS
My big resource was my aunt who has taught special ed for 30 years

here are a few links

http://www.dentonautism.com/html/pddnos.html

http://members.cox.net/jaynamom/diag.html

www.cureautismnow.org

HTH
#3 of 9 Old 05-04-2003, 12:29 PM

hi! i wasn't aware your son was being tested. my best friend's daughter has pdd. how old is your son, close to joe's age i think... never mind, i see 3.5.

can i ask why he is being tested? to what degree does the pdd affect his life? does he speak at all?

i think you should explain it to your son if he seems like he wants to know what is going on. most parents prob. wouldn't even consider a 3 yo might have questions- good for you, i have always thought from your posts that you seem like a very good mama to your boy.

my friend's daughter has pdd pretty severe, she is nonverbal, but can follow instructions, she understands SO much. when she was born her parents were told to just leave her be, because she was a "vegatable" who would never think or feel. of course her parents have SHOWERED her w/love & she is now able to give & show affection.

so, my best advice is, don't listed to the drs. listen to your son & your gut. autism/pdd is so different from child to child that the drs. really don't know what to do in a lot of cases.

i forget where you live- nevada?! pm me if you want, if you have more questions. my friend would be glad to talk to you if you want to hear from a mom who has been there. her dd is almost six.

good luck to you, give your son a hug from me!

love, jenny
#4 of 9 Old 06-10-2003, 01:09 AM

PDD is broader than autism. Autism is a PDD. Its a more generic term that gets your child services, but its not very descriptive. You would be better to explain your child's situation with a list of strengths and weaknesses.
#5 of 9 Old 06-10-2003, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
otbonmom is right, PDD is one of several "autism spectrum disorders". It is the least descriptive in that it is used when the child doesn't quite fit the others (autism, asperger's, rhett's).

#6 of 9 Old 06-10-2003, 09:35 AM

Pie, I clicked on this thread because you started it. I have nothing to offer in terms of info or advice. I just wanted to wish you luck and support. I'm thinkin' of ya.

Lisa
#7 of 9 Old 06-10-2003, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
pie

wow I had no idea anyone had replied to this thread. LOL I got no email notifications until this last one. Let me read the responses, I am really grateful to you! Well it looks like Asperger's to most who have seen him.
#8 of 9 Old 06-10-2003, 11:14 AM

Hey Pie!

Where's your PM?

a

The anti-Ezzo king
#9 of 9 Old 06-10-2003, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
pie

I had it off cause someone was pestering me. I think I can turn it back on. Try in a minute.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page