If one more person says "oh I'm so sorry" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-14-2006, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why do people think they have to apologize for my son being autistic?????

I have this happen all the time. here is how a conversation went at the hospital today while DS had his blood drawn and she was on the thrid needle stick and not only did DS not flinch or cry he did not respond correctly to her question.

it went like this..

her: how old are you?
Me: oh he is 4.5
her: wow he sure is a brave boy!
Me: yea he is a brave boy.
her: is he deaf?
me: no he hears fine he has autism
her: Oh honey i am SOOOO SORRY!
me: why would you be sorry????? he is a fantastic little boy who is very happy and loving and each day is another learning experince for the both of us. please dont feel sorry for me because I have an autistic child. Be sorry for the people who have no idea what it is and apologize.
Be sorry that our world is over medicating, over vaxing, and poluting the world so badly that 1 in every 166 child are diagnosed with autism.
I would never say I am sorry because your child has brown hair insead of blonde so dont say you are sorry for something you didnt do.

I did this in the lab at the hospital which is connected to the VAX clinic and by the time I was done every one was listening...

I also let her know that instead of being sorry be informed!!!!

ok off of my
#2 of 9 Old 11-14-2006, 10:46 PM
Banned

Ahem to all that!
#3 of 9 Old 11-14-2006, 10:51 PM

Good for you.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#4 of 9 Old 11-14-2006, 11:16 PM

good for you for having the courage to say all that. I just say Eli is shy rather than explain why he won't take a chip from someone or talk to most folks.
#5 of 9 Old 11-15-2006, 01:32 AM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Another thing she should have been sorry for is saying such a rude, insulting thing in front of your child!

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#6 of 9 Old 11-15-2006, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

I agree with that mamarhu....
#7 of 9 Old 11-15-2006, 10:48 AM

Good, maybe you inspired a mom to go do a little more research before sticking their kids!:

I have never said sorry to any parent, but I have sympathized with them when they explain how hard and frustrating things can get. I get more frustrated with the system, all the experts, who can't give me any definate answers, but of course they are paid well to be expert and not knowing.

Wonder what she was sorry for? perhaps she was sorry she didn't know what to say. i'm sure she will think twice after that tongue lashing.
#8 of 9 Old 11-15-2006, 01:19 PM

Nice job Mama! sup

I get sorry all the time.. I know they are just trying to be nice (I hope) but it irks me too.

The one that irks me more is:
"I would have never known she had Autism if you didn't tell me."
Ugh!
#9 of 9 Old 11-15-2006, 02:37 PM

Even as someone who has no experience with autism or any kind of special needs, I can see how frustrating that must be for you.

But would you mind giving me a heads up about what would be an appropriate response when someone tells you their child has autism? Is it best to simply say, "Oh" or is there some ideal thing that you wish everyone would say? Would you rather the person not make any comment at all?

Sorry if this is a really dumb question, but I can tell you're really annoyed by what happened, and I while I would never (I hope!!) tell any parent I was "sorry" about their kid's condition, I'd also be a little unsure of how exactly to respond.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page