Ultrasound showed a white spot on the brain.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 11-29-2006, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
....and the perinatologist with ten years of experiance has no idea what it is! I now have to have a fetal MRI. Anyone ever heard of this or have any idea what could cause it? Her best guess is that the white spot is blood from an ischemic event (the brain bleed). My only other guess would be a tumor/cyst. I don't really like the sound of either option.

I cant find anything online doing a search for this, I have found "white spot on heart during ultrasound" but thats it.

Im trying not to freak out until we know what we are dealing with, but just wondering if anyone here has any ideas at all?

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness
#2 of 22 Old 11-29-2006, 01:59 AM

What did it say a white spot on the heart meant?
#3 of 22 Old 11-29-2006, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter

white spot on the heart was from calcium deposits, I looked up calcium deposit in brain, but it said this only sometimes occurs after a brain bleed and not until months or years after the fact, so Im guessing thats not it.

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness
#4 of 22 Old 11-29-2006, 04:34 PM

I hope that you get an answer soon and I wish you the best!

In love with Dh since 1998. We created Ds (7.1.03), Dd (10.16.06) and Dd (3.16.09).
#5 of 22 Old 11-29-2006, 04:51 PM

oh I don't know what it could be. when do you go for the MRI? please keep us posted and perhaps you should get a 2nd or 3rd opinion....
#6 of 22 Old 11-29-2006, 05:31 PM

I don't know if this is the same thing, but a friend's baby had some spots on his brain that turned out to be harmless cysts. They went away on their own. I hope it's something as simple as that.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#7 of 22 Old 11-29-2006, 05:47 PM

Something very similar happened to me when I was pregnant with my son two years ago. There was a white spot in one of the ventricles of his brain that my OB said could be a benign Choroid tumor (not sure that's the exact name, it's been a while) or it could just be a blip on the ultrasound. Because everything else looked fine he suggested we wait a couple of months and have another ultrasound done then. Needless to say I was very worried but when we had the next ultrasound done it wasn't there and my son was/is fine.

I'm not sure if this helps except to say that I know how worried you are because I've been there. Did your doctor suggest that it could be an artifact on the ultrasound?

#8 of 22 Old 11-29-2006, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Oh thank you for the responses! I am hoping it turns out to be nothing. My doctor did not suggest it could be just a machine blip, but several people IRL have. My hope is that the MRI finds nothing! It could be anything...or nothing. Almost makes me wish I hadn't done the u/s!

They havent called me yet, so I will call them tommorow, Im an anxious to get this set up!

#9 of 22 Old 11-30-2006, 03:10 AM

From googling a little bit, it looks to me like it could be anything from nothing to something progressive and fatal. I personally would lean toward a blip on the u/s and would ask a lot of questions about the MRI in utero...risk/benefit analysis, how likely they will actually be able to give you a dx ahead of time, etc.

I really hope it's nothing. How horribly stressful.
#10 of 22 Old 11-30-2006, 11:14 AM

I had a "spot on the brain" finding at 24 wks with this baby (officially an "intracranial echogenic band of unknown significance"). But it was a dark spot, rather than a white spot. No one knew what it was. I chose to refuse the level 2 ultrasound and wait. We repeated the ultrasound at 33 wks (a very LONG 7 weeks later), and it was gone. It was just a blip on the screen--an artifact.

We also had an echogenic cardiac focus (white spot on the heart), and that was gone as well. I was expecting that to resolve--but I didn't know what to expect with the cranial finding, since no one knew what it was.

I, too, would ask lots of questions about the MRI. And I might consider waiting and repeating the ultrasound. Big hugs--the stress is terrible! But I did find I was able to center myself over the weeks of waiting, and I was better prepared for the followup test. In my case, there seemed to be no reason to rush to confirmation, since there would be no in utero treatments for any of the possible problems.
#11 of 22 Old 11-30-2006, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Well, the only reason I had the u/s is in case it was something that could be addressed in utero. Im not going to terminate no matter what, so it doesnt really matter when we find out, except for my peace of mind. and if it is something, we will deal with that, I would just like to know WHAT. But I xposted this topic in health adn healing and got the same sort of respones as far as people who have had this happen and it turned out to be nothing so I am a lot more reassured now!

Something happened before my u/s and I cant help thinking it was a sign. Just as the doc came in, a nurse stopped her and said she had a vistior from out of state, so she excused herself and was gone about ten min. When she came back, she was crying. She apologized and I said it was ok and asked what was wrong. She said the person who had just stopped by was a former patient, she had done the u/s on her now nine year old dd. On u/s the brain was hanging out of the back of the skull and the mother was advised that there was no way the baby could survive and she should terminate. The mom refused. The staff all thought she was nuts, but they provided prenatal care and the baby lived. At birth they had to remove part of the brain to sew up the back of the skull and the parents were told the baby would be a vegtable and still the staff thought they were nuts to have this child.

The family now lives out of state but stops by every couple of years to say hi and bring by thier perfectly normal nine year old dd. And the doctor said "that child was a sign to me, that I dont know anything".

By the time she told me the story I was crying. If that child has no lingering problems from having part of her brain removed, Im thinking I can handle an unidentified spot! I love stories like that! Doctors do NOT know everything and it is a wise one that can admit it!

#12 of 22 Old 11-30-2006, 02:18 PM

(((HUGS))) I can't imagine what you are going through right now. I will be thinking of you and your baby through this.

Hopefully it's an artifact of the US and will not even show up on the next one. But I wanted to add, especially in light of the story in your last post, that children's brains are so incredibly plastic. Even if it the spot turns out to be an ischemic event, the brain will compensate. Either way, I'm sure your baby will be completely healthy, normal and beautiful!
#13 of 22 Old 11-30-2006, 02:18 PM

Angela, I saw your thread and couldnt read and run.

I will be thinking of you, and I hope everythings fine.

Lisa
#14 of 22 Old 11-30-2006, 04:30 PM

I hope it is nothing.

My DD has a serious brain malformation and hydrocephalus, both diagnosed prenatally. It was terrifying. She had 4 surgeries in 2 years and has spent her whole life in therapies of different kinds. It has added stress to our lives but watching her grow and develop has added even greater joy.

She just turned 4 and is such a sweet, funny, smart, spunky and beautiful girl. I wouldn't trade her for anything in the world. Here are a few recent pictures:

http://gallery.purdyscene.com/main.php?g2_itemId=2787

http://gallery.purdyscene.com/main.php?g2_itemId=2791

These were the bad times:

http://www.purdyscene.com/images/hal...hes_102002.jpg

http://www.purdyscene.com/images/hal...ey4_102002.jpg

http://gallery.purdyscene.com/main.php?g2_itemId=237

There is hope that all is well and I'm sending my best wishes that that will be the case.
#15 of 22 Old 11-30-2006, 04:35 PM

children are truly amazing in how they heal and deal with the world. as a mom that was born with a birth defect and having a son that has the same one, i know that things happen because they happen. this might be a blessing for you. you just never know.
#16 of 22 Old 11-30-2006, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglyn View Post
and if it is something, we will deal with that, I would just like to know WHAT.
I understand. Now after my second son I will have an ultrasound prenatally to be sure I know if there is anything I need to take care of at birth. I want to encourage you though to really question and get good answers about the fetal MRI. Even with this test, you might not know what it is. So examine the risks v. the benefit.

As unpleasant as it sounds, an MRI on an infant is a possibility. I think having an ultrasound in another couple of weeks, even 10 weeks, and doing hypnosis and meditation while you are waiting...unless they can tell you something you can DO to help the baby while pregnant.

As someone mentioned, strokes can be no big deal. Babies brains will grow around them so they can't be seen in the brain even when the effects are seen in their bodies. MRI can only detect so much.

It is believed that my son had a series of microscopic strokes...but too small for MRI to detect...even though he has many class signs of a stroke.

Quote:
The family now lives out of state but stops by every couple of years to say hi and bring by their perfectly normal nine year old dd. And the doctor said "that child was a sign to me, that I don't know anything".
This story is soooo beautiful. And it's a reminder to you that doctors can't always come up with a diagnosis. Especially prenatally. But even postnatally as well.
#17 of 22 Old 12-02-2006, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mamatohaleybug: Thanks for sharing your story and those pictures! I actually work for an Early Childhood Intervention program so I do know how often kids overcome what the doctors say they can't!

mamaverdi: I am looking into it. So far, everything Ive found claims it's safe in the second and third trimesters. An MRI on an infant requires sedation so I think I'd rather do it now, if it needs to be done at all.

Thanks everyone for the replies and support! My appointment is on dec. 7th.

#18 of 22 Old 12-02-2006, 04:17 PM

I'll be keeping you in my thoughts, and watching for an update. Hoping for the best results!
#19 of 22 Old 12-02-2006, 08:03 PM

if that story wasn't a good sign I don't know what is!! I have no faith in u/s- I had seven w/ dd and they never noticed her complete and total cleft palate. she didn't even HAVE one. so I don't know why I bothered- they seem to find things that turn out to be nothing, or miss things that turn out to be something, much more than they find and diagnose anything correctly.

I hope it turns out to be nothing.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#20 of 22 Old 12-02-2006, 08:08 PM

Best wishes!

In love with Dh since 1998. We created Ds (7.1.03), Dd (10.16.06) and Dd (3.16.09).
#21 of 22 Old 12-03-2006, 01:04 AM

Quote:
mamaverdi: I am looking into it. So far, everything Ive found claims it's safe in the second and third trimesters. An MRI on an infant requires sedation so I think I'd rather do it now, if it needs to be done at all.
My biggest concern would be not how safe it is (MRI is rather harmless AFAIK), but HOW EFFECTIVE it is.

I understand how you feel about sedation. AND most MRIs do last quite a while, so most require sedation for newborns and babies and small children.

But as long as I had done the expanded newborn screen, I would feel comfortable sedating my infant or child in the right setting: a dedicated Children's Hospital.
#22 of 22 Old 12-03-2006, 01:12 AM

I wanted to add that just because you have one now, doesn't mean you won't need one on the baby later.

Looking at the person him/herself is MUCH different than any prenatal testing.

Your OB's story, and bri's, and mine are all evidence that prenatal testing doesn't necessarily diagnose anything.

Actually, I will maintain that it rarely gives you a prognosis, and only occasionally gives you a diagnosis....far less common that you get a dx than that you have a mistake of the diagnostician or diagnostic equipment.

Even if you DON'T see anything, you may STILL need to see someone after the baby is born.

You know, I might call a good pediatric neurologist and speak to them about it...what the plan would be for after the baby is born given this ultrasound? And given whether or not they see something or not on the fetal MRI? What is the rate of detection failure on the fetal MRI?

Women I know with urinary tract diagnoses talk to pediatric urologists about what they think about the u/s.

In fact, even if you decide to have the fetal MRI, I would have a pediatric neurologist look at the films with you in the room...as a consult.

Don't even get me started about how many different opinions neurologists have....each from the other...

and

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page