UPDATE: Five year old with SID spits out food - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 11-30-2006, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Update: We took dd to the doctor on Sunday (her pedi was on call) just to rule out any medical issues. The doctor gave a thorough exam and found a sinus infection that may be making things worse because dd had some drainage in her throat! I had assumed it was just more issues having to do with the SID, I never thought of sinus infection, since there was no nasal drainage, fever, etc. We're still going forward with the OT. The doctor said the stomach ache was hunger. :

But here's what's cool: the doctor is just wonderful and told me there would be a placebo effect if we tell dd that she is getting better and can eat foods and all will be well. She gave my daughter a hug before leaving. My daughter said she could feel the doctor's magic through that hug and was starting to feel better. She came home and ate a big bowl of tofu salad with whole wheat pretzels and did not spit it out!!! She then ate all evening, all sorts of foods and textures.

Thank you for all of your help and support on this. I really appreciate it.

My five year old dd has been diagnosed with SID. The chewing gum for fingernails changed her manicure life, so I am hoping that you can help me with another solution.

I am posting this thread for support and information. Please do not post telling me that I should not allow my child to eat sweets or processed foods and just wait until she will eat. I have heard enough of that in real life to last me forever. My three year old will eat any food, and she eats our regular (vegetarian, mostly health food and organic) meals with no problem. This has to do with a serious eating aversion, and if you don't know anything about the condition I beg you not to tell me things like: "just let her skip a few meals, she'll eat healthy eventually." I desperately need advice and help and support.

With that out of the way, here is what we have going on. We had a full OT evaluation and she was diagnosed with SID right before school started. THe OT recommended switching schools. The out of pocket for OT, combined with the last minute fees for switching schools, was out of my league until my dh's raise went through, so I delayed starting OT. She switched schools and many of her problems with fear, etc., disappeared overnight, so I didn't follow up when the money became available last month. At that point, the food spitting out had never been seen before.

Well, suddenly, about ten days ago, she started chewing her food up into a much and then spitting it out. This started very slowly. I did not know about the first two times since dh saw it and did not tell me about it. I saw the next two times. Then several days passed without recurrences, then about eight times over Thanksgiving. Then nothing until last night. Then nothing today. I am rescheduling the OT and going to her regular GP to rule out any medical problems. I hope to get into her GP tomorrow, but their computers were down all afternoon.

At this point, she will refuse all foods but ice cream, cake, or frosting. : I have used my electric mixer almost constantly this week, fixing the foods she might eat. Many foods that she formerly loved and ate well are now no longer being consumed: no more pasta, bread, rolls, rice, pizza, etc, etc. She says she has to chew those too long and then it feels bad in her mouth and she has to spit them out. I have tried every form of smoothie I can think of. She is very sensitive to taste and she detects the things I sneak into foods. In fact, I think sneaking healthy stuff into food has been part of the reason that she has almost no foods she likes to eat anymore.

She said the only food that will work is food that is crunchy to start but quickly melts.

I also need help to figure out a way to feed my SID daughter the limited foods she will eat without causing my other daughter to become obese -- she is already chubby and this is not helping matters. As long as my younger daughter will eat vegetables, brown rice, and tofu I see no reason to expose her to cake and frosting.

Thank you for your help.
#2 of 16 Old 11-30-2006, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Aw, mama, I would NEVER tell you any of those things you said in your disclaimer, my ds's first diagnosis was a sensory based feeding disorder, and I thought I would strangle the next person who told me "he'll eat when he's hungry" or "just don't give him any other options except healthy stuff," etc. etc. : . I have been there done that and would never say that to you.

It sounds like she is really really really stressed right now, and hence her eating has gone to the pits. That's what's happened with my ds, who will be 3 in January. He WAS up to about 50% "solid" food, but now has regressed to almost 100% purees (we buy lots and lots of baby food in my house) because of several stressors that have just compounded and snowballed with the onset of the holiday season.

First, since your dd is old enough to verbalize her wishes, maybe try sitting down with her, and trying to plan out a menu for her of foods she can tolerate. Lots of cereals start out crunchy but sort of "melt," and hey, cereal ain't that bad for you, it's got vitamins and stuff in it. You could also try getting pediasure or something like that, and mixing in crushed ice in the blender, sort of making a pediasure "shake," and maybe adding finely ground flax seed in it for calories and omega 3's and fiber, if you think she won't detect it.

Are you brushing her? If you were but stopped, start again. If you've never done brushing, do you know another SN mama in your area who's familiar with it who can give you a crash course? We did brushing with my ds, but stopped. I restarted it last night because I was just desperate, things are rapidly declining in our house behavior-wise. : It seems to have actually helped.

The very first thing our OT ever taught us to help ds get through meals (he's a major sensory avoider, very defensive) was to do joint compressions and bounce him on a giant yoga ball before sitting down to eat. It was like a miracle, the child who would screech his guts out just being sat down in his high chair was suddenly able to tolerate it.

That's all I can think of for now, HTH. Hang in there.
#3 of 16 Old 11-30-2006, 08:49 PM

I agree with the PP. My oldest has mild sensory issues and his biggest hurdle has been eating otherwise you wouldn't know that he had anything going on, Dd1 on the other hand is on the limited diet of raw veggies, very little meat and as of this week ceareal and crackers are the closest I can get her to eating bread. Before that the only bread she would eat was sourdough.

If your Dd can tell you what she likes maybe you can get some sample size things and see if she will critiqu them for you so that you know exactly what she needs in a food right now.

I wish I could offer you more advice. Right now I'm having a simular struggle witth Dd1 as her williness to eat food is becoming more and more restricted. About a year a go she would eat anything you put in front of her and with our trying to cut artifical crud out of her diet to see if that will help with her behavior problems she's restricting herself more it seems.

(((hugs)))
#4 of 16 Old 11-30-2006, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Brushing? I never even heard of it. Please tell me what it is.
#5 of 16 Old 11-30-2006, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Also, I just want to express my heartfelt gratitude that the posters above did not make fun of me or act sanctimonious. Thank you.
#6 of 16 Old 11-30-2006, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inezyv View Post
Brushing? I never even heard of it. Please tell me what it is.
In the most concise, simplest terms, it is using a surgical hand scrub brush to stroke the limbs, back, and extremities of your child to help them feel organized and centered.

This link will give a more in depth explanation:

http://www.pbbkids.com/the_wilbarger...g_protocol.htm

When you start OT, your therapist will probably talk to you about it right away, and if s/he doesn't, ask about it. The formal name is the Wilbarger protocol. It really helps lots of kids, it really helped mine, and the good thing is that you can do it for a while, then stop, but restart if you feel it is necessary (like me).

ETA: this is supposed to be a good book with good suggestions:
Just Take A Bite
#7 of 16 Old 11-30-2006, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch View Post
You could also try getting pediasure or something like that, and mixing in crushed ice in the blender, sort of making a pediasure "shake," and maybe adding finely ground flax seed in it for calories and omega 3's and fiber, if you think she won't detect it.
Along these same lines - frozen yogurt might work, too.

We also get Calbee Snap pea Crisps at Trader Joe's (baked snap peas) that are kind of the same idea of a potato chip, but much better for you.

Good luck -- food issues are really hard to deal with!

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

#8 of 16 Old 11-30-2006, 11:01 PM
Fay

Brushing is a sensory integration technique described here.

There could be a couple of things going on w/your DD. If she is craving sugary things, she may have yeast overgrowth in her digestive tract. Probiotics (yogurt, kefir, or probiotic culture tablets/powders) can help with that and reduce some of the sensory issues. When my DS was hypersensitive to everything, we started giving him a very low dose of a magnesium supplement, and his sensory issues were greatly reduced.

If food is feeling bad in her throat, then there's probably a muscle tone issue in her shoulders and neck that will be helped by OT. Ask the OT what exercises she needs to do at home to improve muscle tone. I recommend the book "The Out-of-Sync child Has Fun" by Carol Kranowitx for exercises you can do at home to improve all kinds of sensory issues.

My DS used to have trouble swallowing certain textures, so DH and I tested all foods on ourselves first for texture. Cheerios (the real thing, not the store brands) are crunchy and dissolve quickly on the tongue. Unsweetened applesauce in very small bites also dissolves quickly -- it's not crunchy, but at least it's not a starch. You've probably already tried these, though.

I have to admit, I was one of those kids who always complained about texture, and some foods actually hurt my mouth and throat. So I think you must be one heck of a compassionate mom to go so far to find foods that your DD can tolerate.

I hope I didn't come across as sanctimonious...when I read your post, I could feel your DD's discomfort with the food and wanted to respond.

"Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?" - Andy Warhol
#9 of 16 Old 12-01-2006, 12:12 AM

[QUOTE=Fay;6661127]Brushing is a sensory integration technique described here.

, we started giving him a very low dose of a magnesium supplement, and his sensory issues were greatly reduced.

oh what a great idea! i take magnesium calcium supplement for my own sensory issues, don't know why i havent though of giving it to my ds. i use www.ewater.com as a colloidal supplement (it tastes like water) and is supposed to be the best way to absorb it.

with the brushing technique, i though you were talking about a brushing technique in the mouth, like with a toothbrush for example, i though i read on another post about it??

we do jumping on a trampoline, like pp mentioned the joint compression and vestibular sensations really help.

also i remember someone posting about reducing some things that may be bombarding her around dinner time like noise, too bright lights, all the smells, etc.

my son goes through phases though, so we don't always know what, if any, triggers it.
#10 of 16 Old 12-01-2006, 12:29 AM
crl

Just a quick thought, will she drink stuff? What about vegetable broth? And what about veggie booty? It seems crunchy then melts in your mouth to me. . . and it's actually somewhat good in terms of vitamins, etc.

Catherine
#11 of 16 Old 12-01-2006, 02:25 AM

Just another quick thought -- I have found that if I give the kids a bath before dinner, my ds (who has sensory issues - especially to foods and textures) eats a much better meal. Baths are soothing, so this might work for you, too.

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

#12 of 16 Old 12-01-2006, 11:27 PM
Fay

Ooooh, yeah, and how about a bath w/epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) before dinner? That could really reduce sensitivity.

"Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?" - Andy Warhol
#13 of 16 Old 12-02-2006, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all the great suggestions. I could only afford one book, so I put the Out of Sync have fun in my cart to save for later and bought the one about Just Take One Bite. I had no idea entire books were written about this. I got the referral to the OT (the old one had expired) but the pedi was booked until Monday -- but she's on call on Sunday, so if things deteriorate I can take my daughter in to see her on Sunday.

I will definitely be heading out to WF tomorrow to see about buying the supplements, though I am not optimistic about getting her to take any. So far, she is accepting Gummi Bears! That makes no sense at all. I went to the grocery store and tried to buy foods she had eaten in the past with enthusiasm that I don't usually buy because they are not healthy. I also bought Pediasure, which is better than nothing. I bought one package of each flavor, so maybe she will drink one of them.

I'm thinking about presentation, too.

I will pick up some Epsom salts tomorrow.

Please keep the ideas coming. All of you have been so kind and helpful, you have no idea what that means to me. I am now feeding her in a separate room so that my three year old is not eating frosting or ice cream at every meal. But that seems like a bad plan, too. This whole thing is making me crazy. Did I mention that this is dh's busy season so there is no other adult to distract and help her in a low key way. But I can't have my other daughter eating heaping bowls of homemade chocolate frosting, kwim?

I will keep updating as I try things.

Now I am off to search for surgical brushes online -- I'm hoping this is something the OT will provide, though.

Thank you again.
#14 of 16 Old 12-02-2006, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crl View Post
Just a quick thought, will she drink stuff? What about vegetable broth? And what about veggie booty? It seems crunchy then melts in your mouth to me. . . and it's actually somewhat good in terms of vitamins, etc.

Catherine
I know, Veggie Booty seemed like a great bet. But she started refusing that over a year ago. She will eat Tings sometimes, so I'm glad you reminded me. Tings, the "healthy cheeto."
#15 of 16 Old 12-02-2006, 12:51 AM

My two other nonSID kids will literally eat everything under the sun...my middle child oh lord have mercy... I presented foods the same breastfed the same amount of time (2 years) this kid had all of his teeth by a year just about....and always a horrid eater. I put him in daycare and had to put him on formula at 2 1/2 as he would not eat there or the days he'd eat it would be 'just bread' or 'just cucumbers'....

Quote:
At this point, she will refuse all foods but ice cream, cake, or frosting.
lol we went through the icecream phase as well, I bought an icecream maker and snuck things into it nuts, skim milk powder, nut butters, nut milk, yogurt, liquid vitamins, eggs, juiced carrots and other fruits/veggies that hide easily. (peppermint extract hides many tastes...)
In a pinch I'd use things like ensure whole liquid supplement type things in the icecream maker...

cake will she eat bananna bread, carrot cake, zucchini loaf? Oh I hear you also on making the otherone heavier or unteaching their good habits, I have fed this SID kid McDonalds way too often as when he would not eat for days.

good luck SID kids are committed to their current adversions... then one day presto they move on... okay for me it took like 30 years to eat raw apples but I do now

8 might be enough
#16 of 16 Old 12-02-2006, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

ICE CREAM MAKER!!!! Ensure ice cream!

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant!

I did look in the frozen foods for an ice cream version of Pediasure today but did not find one. But with your idea, we could have Pediasure ice cream all the time! But she barely ate her vanilla Haagendaaz tonight. (or however you spell it)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page