What to expect with an infant MRI? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-17-2006, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Everyone, Our son has been diagnosed in utero with Dandy Walker malformation, a malformation of the cerebellum. He will need to have an MRI within the first few days of birth and I was just wondering what to expect? Is it just awful or not that bad? Do they have to be sedated?

thanks mamas!
~Melissa
#2 of 8 Old 12-17-2006, 07:55 PM

Congratulations on your upcoming arrival. What an exciting (and nervous)time for you. You will be a great mom to your little bundle.

As to your question:
Dd had one at 7 mos. She was put under general anesthetic for it because they have to be perfectly still. The whole process took about an hour. We could not go in with her and had to wait in the waiting room. We could go in to see her as she was waking up. She awakened scared and crying but calmed down as soon as I picked her up. This was the first of many that dd will have to have. I thought the CT scan was more difficult to watch as they didn't sedate her for either one of those.
#3 of 8 Old 12-17-2006, 08:25 PM

It can be OK, or it can not be. My son had lots of respiratory problems, and he stopped breathing d/t the sedative (yes, they have to be sedated). He was OK afterwards, it was just very scary when it happened.
#4 of 8 Old 12-17-2006, 08:32 PM

My daughter's first MRI was at a year and wasn't too bad. I don't know if with a newborn they would do plain sedation or general anesthesia. It probably depends on the policy of your particular hospital. It will probably be scarier for you than anything else. Charlotte just slowly wakes up from the sedation or anesthesia and is just sort of groggy the rest of the day. good luck.
#5 of 8 Old 12-17-2006, 08:45 PM

Dd had her first MRI at 8 weeks old. She was sedated and did fine -- not even really groggy during the rest of the day. They did allow us in the MRI room with her. For subsequent MRI's I waited in the waiting room because I found being in there too difficult for me personally.
#6 of 8 Old 12-18-2006, 12:35 AM

DD's MRI was done when she was a few hours old. She was sedated (or maybe she had anesthesia - I can't remember) but did very well. It was her easiest procedure yet! Some other MRIs and anesthesia experiences have been rougher but never anything really bad or scary.

She also has DW with dual shunted hydrocephalus.
#7 of 8 Old 12-18-2006, 09:38 PM

I do think it depends...because my son had his about two weeks after birth and he was sleepy so they did not sedate him. He fell asleep sometime during the procedure though the pictures we have he is going into it and awake. He wasn't scared. It was hard to see him go in, though, because he looked so tiny compared to the machine. It was harder on me and his daddy than him. We did have ours done in a hospital that had a pediatric machine and technicians. They allowed us to be in the room with him the entire time.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#8 of 8 Old 12-19-2006, 01:58 AM

Pediatric hospital is key IMO. Also, if you can do it without sedation or general, so much the better.

A ped anesthesiologist told me that before 6 weeks old they have the most trouble with apnea etc during and after sedation or general....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page