Developmental delay question? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-20-2003, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted this question over in Life with a Toddler but realize I might get more experienced input here in Special Needs. What do you think of this situation:

Are there developmental problems here?
I have an 11 month old dd and don't know much about the toddler stage (yet). I have met a gal with another baby thru our local library baby group. She cares for her child and babysits a 2 yo as well.

My question is about the 2 yo. He is a sweet boy and plays independently and smiles alot. He does not talk. She has finally gotten him to say "yeah" but that is it. Apparently he doesn't like to be touched that much and doesn't like loud noises. I asked if he had ear infections as a baby and she said yes, she thought so. I wondered if there might be a hearing issue and she thinks he hears just fine.

His mother is in the army and has been sent away. He lives with his aunt and is watched during the day by this gal. I think his mother has been away since Jan.

I know normal is such a wide range with babies and I do not know what developmental milestones a child this age should have reached. Do you think this child needs to be evaluated? Do you think he has some developmental delays?

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#2 of 4 Old 05-23-2003, 02:22 AM

Gosh, I don't really know. But I have two suggestions: look up a book about toddlers if you have one handy (does Sears go into developmental stages for 2 yo? I haven't read past a year yet, lol), or ask your doctor/ped about it.

I feel so sorry for the little guy being without his mama!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#3 of 4 Old 05-25-2003, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Piglet, thanks for the reply. I ran into a gal in the coffee shop who I wish I had thought about sooner. She does in home early intervention with children. She was JUST the gal I needed to see. She said by 2 a child should put together two word sentences. On his lack of speech alone, he qualifies for services. These are done thru the state and at no charge to the parent/guardian. She said it sounds like he has some sensory integration issues as well and that is if VERY important to address them sooner than later. What she said happens frequently with a child with sensory issues is that they don't like to be held so the caregiver backs away and does not hold them....and it does just the opposite of helping the child. She said getting these kids help before 3 is very important. (From a bureaucratic stand point, they need to get in before 3. After 3 they have to have a proven 25% deficite in an area before they qualify for services. She advised asap!) She said when these kids don't get help before starting school, they are often everwhelmed by the lights and noises and chaos of a classroom and it is hard to get them up to speed. EARLY help is best. We talked about how it can be hard to acknowledge that your child needs help. It's hard when parents have trouble seeing the need for help and deny that their kid needs it. The way I see it, we all excel somewhere and we all lag behind somewhere too. I don't like to call a kid with a "delay" handicapped one bit! They just need a different path to learn. I hope I can get the info to them and they will take advantage of it and work with him. He is such a friendly cute little boy!

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#4 of 4 Old 05-26-2003, 04:00 AM

I'm glad you ran into that woman! I sure hope you can help the parents, and that they won't get defensive or take it the wrong way!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page