Reading Out of Sync Child and Crying!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-02-2007, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have suspected my son has some form of SPD for a several months. I just started reading The Out of Sync Child and I'm only on page 30 and crying! I am not necessarily sad for him, just crying with the realization that the last five years have been crazy for a reason.

I am so overwhelmed with emotion right now. I know it's not the end of the world to have SPD, and I look forward to the part of the book that helps us manage it. I am so sad for all the years wasted going around in circles, never understanding why the same behaviors just keep happening.

I also can't help but think about two things that I believe have played a part in this: the extremely polluted environment where we lived when I was pregnant and until he was 2 and that he was fully vaccinated until he was 18 months old. I know that these two things may or may not have caused it, but if the tendency was there than they certainly did not help the situation.

Thanks for listening to a mama taking her first steps into the world of SPD.
#2 of 12 Old 03-02-2007, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When that first "aha" moment comes and you realize you're not crazy, lots of us mamas here have cried tears of relief. TOOSC is a great start. Have you found a support group? I know of a great one on Yahoo.
#3 of 12 Old 03-02-2007, 07:49 PM
Banned

It is sad to go without knowing. I think most went through that period of time of not understanding what was going on. Now that you do know, I hope you'll be surprised at how much progress he can make. You sound like a great mom who tried other things and fwiw, I think our children give us credit for trying and loving them as we work to figure it all out

and

to the board!
#4 of 12 Old 03-02-2007, 08:07 PM

yeah, it's not the end of the world at all- now you know and you can understand him better and your help will be more effective! My 4yo has had obviosus SPD problems from birht, was diagnosed about 18 months, but trst me, that is the easiest, least-scary thing we deal with these days. No big deal, you can handle it!

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY
#5 of 12 Old 03-02-2007, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Finch, I would love it if you could PM me a link to a support group. I have no idea where to go from here. Thankfully I have another 270 pages of this book to read and you all here on MDC. My emotions are all over the place today, so thanks so much for the hugs!
#6 of 12 Old 03-02-2007, 09:11 PM

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SID-DSI_AllAboutKids/

Here ya go! The moderator is named Michelle, she's a doll. Very supportive and knowledgeable group. They taught me so much!!
#7 of 12 Old 03-02-2007, 09:16 PM

Just wanted to post a for you.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#8 of 12 Old 03-03-2007, 01:04 AM

hey, I'm on SID-DSI_AllAboutKids too! have been for a couple years, but I never have time to read, much less post!

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY
#9 of 12 Old 03-03-2007, 09:18 AM

s

Kelly, :Mama to Kevin, 10/1/05 & Seth, 7/7/06. ::
#10 of 12 Old 03-04-2007, 05:24 AM

Hi,

I normally just lurk on this board, but I just wanted to let you know that our ds was diagnosed with SPD at age 5, and has been in OT for about 10 months. He was/is hypersensitive. The changes have been pretty astonishing. He went from not being able to taking off socks to wearning sandals last summer, his fine motor skills are almost average now, and he's getting much better vestibular control. When we started OT, he would not, under any circumstances, let his head go below his shoulders. He was extremely physically cautious and could barely ride a trike (at age 5!). And now, he's doing somersaults. From the back of the couch (as you can see if you click on the video).

So, this is very treatable.

And don't be so hard on yourself about the enivronment stuff. I can see SPD running through dh's family and my family. Dh has it to some degree (I've got some auditory issues), my brother has it, dh's aunt has it to a MAJOR degree (and she's in her late 60s in the days before vaxes).... there's a large, large inherited component here.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#11 of 12 Old 03-04-2007, 10:07 AM

i am also reading that book and so much of it is my son. it is amazing the way the book describes it . i also have started looking through the out of sync child has fun. i have tried some of the ideas in the book and i have found that some things i did i actually see results from.
#12 of 12 Old 03-04-2007, 10:08 AM

Im on the SPD list too. We didnt know our DD had SPD till she was 6, and that book was a real eye opener for us.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page