Anyone have information on tongue fasciculations? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-14-2007, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Avraham Chaim's tongue is always shaking and the neurologist says it is fasciculations. I did a web search and all I can find is ALS and SMA (and only type I had fasciculations and that should have been very very obvious by now).

Avraham Chaim's tongue also doesn't stick out straight when he sticks it out, it goes to one side. He has major asymetry. He is low tone all over with high tone in his left arm and right leg. He is developmentally delayed, had repeat pneumonias before we starting tube feedings and while we were really pushing oral feedings, has trouble visually tracking, but seems congitively fine.

The talk has been metabolic disorder, he has had some funky labs, but would/could it really cause these symptoms?

Any one have any ideas? Information? The neuro is pretty tight lipped about his thoughts. He just lists symptoms.
#2 of 4 Old 03-14-2007, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
during oral-motor and speech therapy. I mentioned it to his neurologist and then we had an MRI and blood and urine tests and they came back normal. My son has apraxia and dysarthria (motor planning disorder). He can't stick out his tongue or move it to either side. It's like he has nerve damage or something? No one knows. My son is 3 years 9 mos old.

Sincerely,
Debra, homeschooling mom of 4 ages 10, 9, 7, and 45 mos
#3 of 4 Old 03-14-2007, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When I first asked I was told that it wasn't an issue, it happens to some kids after sucking. It was only when I showed the neuro that it is ALL OF the time, even sleeping, that he really took notice and told me it was call fasciculation.
#4 of 4 Old 03-14-2007, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liba, look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasciculation and think outside the box.

Does AC have a mag deficiency? build up of organophosphates? etc etc...think chemical in his body...something that could be going on. Look through his organic acids and search WITH other terms in the article above.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page