Any Mommy's have Aspergers? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 103 Old 09-16-2007, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I scored 46... I want Brigianna to take it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 103 Old 09-16-2007, 02:44 PM

I've taken it before and last time I got 35, I looked on my blog.

Sean got a 20.
#63 of 103 Old 09-16-2007, 02:47 PM

Hi Mamas,

Wow. I was going to start a thread like this and--well, geez, I guess it was already started! My DS is in the process of getting a diagnosis, anyhow, all the obsessive reading and research got me thinking about myself and thinking, OMG, I may have a little of the autism in me. I had a horrible time as a kid--I was "painfully shy," and had few friends. I didn't really know how to make friends, I just kinda glommed onto people. I always felt different and never connected. People thought I was stuck up because I just never talked, or couldn't figure out how to converse, or sometimes said really obnoxious things. Needless to say, I am still very much the same way, but I just kinda figured that "I am just not a people person"--and have gone on with my life.

Anyhow, on my own last night I came across the quiz that you are talking about and got a 32.
#64 of 103 Old 09-16-2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Individuation View Post
I scored 46... I want Brigianna to take it.

As I was answering, ds2 came over and crawled into my lap, and I talked to him for a while, then went back to answering the questions where I thought I had left off. After I clicked through the rest of the questions, the screen still said I'd answered only 49 out of 50, so I scrolled up to find the question I'd missed--If there is an interruption, I can switch back to what I was doing very quickly. Maybe not.
#65 of 103 Old 09-16-2007, 07:07 PM

There are a lot of comments here that I can relate to. I just took an Asperger's quiz a couple days ago that someone posted here, and scored very likely Aspie. I also just took the quiz from this thread and scored 43. I have a high IQ (around 150) and was in gifted programs in school. I was the smart kid, and I was also the smallest, so I got made fun of a lot. I talked and read early. I didn't really have any friends, especially since my dad doesn't allow anyone other than family in the house so I couldn't invite them over even if I wanted to (he still won't let dh or ds in his house, I think he's afraid to). My dad's a little odd; my mom thinks he has OCD. I did have a group that I hung out with in high school that was accepting of me, probably because it was a bunch of outcast types, who were mostly in basic skills classes even though some of them were very smart, so they weren't in any of my classes. I hated lab work where I had to interact with one other person. I do better in larger groups than one-on-one because I can blend into the wallpaper with the larger group, although I still prefer to work alone. I have not been diagnosed with anything. I am a quiet rule-following kind of person, and I try hard not to draw attention to myself, so I suppose there wouldn't have been any reason to diagnose me with anything when I was younger. I have very strongly held opinions on just about everything and tend to be very judgmental of those who do things differently. I have wondered if I am just quirky, but after looking at these quizzes, dh says they fit me pretty well. I like to lurk on Mothering, but I don't have anyone to hang out with IRL (besides dh and ds). I can't figure out how to make friends, and no one has tried to make friends with me (unless I missed it!). I love email and dread phone calls. When I worked, I did everything by email and avoided the phone. It's really hard to understand anyone on the phone unless it's my mom, dad, or dh. Email also gives me plenty of time to think about what I want to say. I like to rehearse conversations in advance. I hate small talk. Wytchywoman, I also am very quiet with new people, but tend to talk too much with the few people that I am comfortable with. Dh hardly gets a chance to say anything because I always interrupt him! I also have sensory issues with clothes and movement and food. I tend to go on too long about the same topic (kind of like this post) and it bothers dh after about the tenth time he's heard it.
Ds (29 mo) is a little quirky, but no one thinks that he has Asperger's or autism (OT, ST, PT, early education lady from EI). He is very social with adults who come to play with him (he doesn't initiate), so they say he is too social for autism (they haven't seen him with other kids, although they asked about that). He does not play with other kids yet, although he is starting to pay more attention to them. I was also much more comfortable with adults than with kids my own age. He stays away from groups of kids, so playgroups don't work too well (and I don't like them anyway). He isn't interested in toys anymore, he just wants to do everyday things, like vacuum or sweep (he loves to clean!). He is a sensory seeker. He didn't eat solids until he was 2 yo. He likes to communicate, but I'm usually the only one who understands him. Anyway, I think I've gone on long enough, thanks to anyone who read all this!
#66 of 103 Old 09-16-2007, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigianna View Post

You always win.
#67 of 103 Old 09-16-2007, 10:46 PM

Quote:
You always win.
Only to impress you.

I'm not sure the questionnaire is all that meaningful; some of the statements' relationship to ASC or lack thereof seems dubious, but I won't dispute being 96% autistic, give or take a few traits...
#68 of 103 Old 09-16-2007, 10:57 PM

43 for me. Seems a bit high, but that could well relate to my next question...

Anyone else found that their "symptoms"/quirks are magnified while pregnant? I am soooooo much less social right now. Just can't deal with it. And I'm having major sensory issues with the baby kicking strongly. At times it drives me absolutely nuts!!! I know generally one wants to feel the baby moving a lot so you know they're ok, but oh man. For whatever reason, this kiddo quiets down when dh is close to me, so I find myself going to stand next to him to make her quit doing backflips, or whatever she's doing in there because I just can't take it any more! It's really really uncomfortable!
#69 of 103 Old 09-17-2007, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myjulybabes View Post
Anyone else found that their "symptoms"/quirks are magnified while pregnant?
Oooooh yeah. Bigtime. I was just saying this to Sean today. Happens every time.
#70 of 103 Old 09-17-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myjulybabes View Post
43 for me. Seems a bit high, but that could well relate to my next question...

Anyone else found that their "symptoms"/quirks are magnified while pregnant? I am soooooo much less social right now. Just can't deal with it. And I'm having major sensory issues with the baby kicking strongly. At times it drives me absolutely nuts!!! I know generally one wants to feel the baby moving a lot so you know they're ok, but oh man. For whatever reason, this kiddo quiets down when dh is close to me, so I find myself going to stand next to him to make her quit doing backflips, or whatever she's doing in there because I just can't take it any more! It's really really uncomfortable!
I posted about this when I was pregnant--I was climbing the walls with sensory issues. It's part of why we decided this is our last baby : .
#71 of 103 Old 09-18-2007, 10:28 AM
Fay

38. DH also scored 38.

When I was younger, my score would have been much higher; I've become more social since DS1 was dx'ed with autism. How's that for irony?

"Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?" - Andy Warhol
#72 of 103 Old 09-22-2007, 07:31 PM

Just a bump
#73 of 103 Old 09-22-2007, 08:45 PM

I scored a 42 on that test, but I tried to be conservative and clicked on the slightly in a lot of places I probably should have clicked definitely.

When I was a kid, I was very talkative with my family, but I was often unable to talk at school. I never raised my hand, so I never really had to talk. If teachers asked me something, it was usually yes or no and I could nod my head. I remember feeling like I wanted to say something and I could feel it building up and I thought I would just blurt it all out, or explode, but it never happened. I was just silent. When you say you were unable to talk sometimes, Individuation, is that how you felt?

I was never diagnosed with anything other than being "gifted" but I knew everybody thought I was really weird. I also overheard one of my 5th grade teachers telling another teacher she would have thought I was retarded if she hadn't been told I was in the gifted program and got straight A's on my tests. That was great for my self-esteem.
#74 of 103 Old 09-22-2007, 10:37 PM

I took the test and scored 44. Interesting, thanks for posting it.
#75 of 103 Old 09-29-2007, 02:53 AM

M
#76 of 103 Old 09-30-2007, 01:30 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I haven't read all of the responses either (maybe half) but I'm also someone with anxiety about new social situations that flips into hypersocial. I do find it hard to make friends IRL (and was always better with men than women). Now I find myself finding it hard to sustain relationships. I do make for some awkward pauses in a group setting. It's embarrassing.

My father's family is simply overrun with spectrum disorders. Everyone thought they were highly intelligent, eccentric, some of them incredibly narcissistic... but when my son underwent evaluations with a developmental neuro at 15 months--he DUG into my father's family and all of a sudden, it all made sense.

I spoke at 9 months and read fluently by 2yo. Now, with a son in the spectrum and watching his memorization of things--I had to work hard to teach him phonetic reading vs. sight reading (not that I feel sight reading is bad, but for us it was an opportunity to force him to think--which he never did). Now I'm wondering if I actually read at 2yo, or was memorizing sight words. After grilling my mom a bit about it, she and I are both wondering.

I also find that if you can finally drive me to the point of cutting you out of my life, I rarely look back. Doesn't matter who you are. I'll rarely shed a tear over it. People think this is weird. And I'm loving the internet, too. I definitely feel more connected and social here.

Hmmmm... curiouser and curiouser. My score was 32. But then, maybe some of those things I felt about myself were completely inaccurate... kwim? Weird.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#77 of 103 Old 09-30-2007, 02:30 AM

I also took the other one and scored 157 out of 200. "You are very likely an Aspie."

Interesting.

I read a link somewhere about women being misdiagnosed with personality disorders instead of Aspergers.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#78 of 103 Old 10-01-2007, 06:19 AM

I also spoke at 9 months and read at 3. It may have been earlier than that, but nobody knew until my Montessori teacher decided to 'teach me to read' and I read the whole book to her.

I got a 15 on this quiz, which seems about right. I really don't identify with any of the Asperger's signs that I read or hear. However, I did take it for my partner who I strongly suspect of AS (there is no way in the world that he would ever take it on his own). I know, of course, that this is a very inaccurate way to get a score on any quiz

Nonetheless, 'he' got 44 on this one, and 184 out of 200 on the one here: http://www.rdos.net/eng/Aspie-quiz.php

Which seems about right to me. He has major sensory issues-thinks he smells things because he expects to, has said that he hears voices but I don't know exactly what he means by that- I asked if he meant inner dialogue but he said no, voices. He also thinks things are super loud when they are not, or thinks he is playing movies at a normal to quiet volume when they are absolutely deafening. He can bash his face into the side of his tow truck and not feel pain, but if I accidentally brush a fingernail against his skin and don't even leave a red mark or any dry skin, he says it is extremely painful. If the front door slams, he thinks it bounces his 6'5", 175 lb frame off of his bed even though I have proven that this is not possible.

He has trouble with eye contact but covers that up well. He fidgets and fiddles with things. If he even picks the camera up, we are in for at least an hour of being positioned for pics, during which he becomes increasingly frustrated, it seems like he is upset that we are not inanimate creatures that can be positioned to his liking (we try).

He wants to play games with us, board games and such, but is incapable of actually playing them without exploding and accusing everyone of cheating, etc.

He does not understand what seem to me to be normal boundaries and social expectations.

He also has extreme anger and impulse-control issues but I think that is a separate issue.

Does any of this sound about right?
#79 of 103 Old 10-10-2007, 02:02 AM

Wow . . . I really think this may be the answer to a lot of what's wrong with me, a lot of my social phobia and etc . . .

I got a 38 out of 50 on the first quiz, and on the second I got:

Your Aspie score: 138 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 74 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

babyf.gif

#80 of 103 Old 10-10-2007, 02:20 AM

While we're taking quizzes, I'm curious how the other ASC people score on the quiz in this thread...
#81 of 103 Old 10-10-2007, 02:52 AM

Sure. I got 105, and my strong suit was "emotional management." I'm not at all sure what that means.
#82 of 103 Old 10-10-2007, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature View Post

I read a link somewhere about women being misdiagnosed with personality disorders instead of Aspergers.
I've been reading a bit through this thread, and this statement really caught my eye! I have been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder, Anxiety Disorder, and depression. My 4 yo has her IEP this week, and we think she is aspie. In post 78, the one after the above quoted, there was a link to a quiz, so I went ahead and took it, this is what it said;
Your Aspie score: 109 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 112 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

I never thought of these things for myself. So, I know this isn't a diagnosis, but do you think that is why i have possibly had so many difficulties wth the millions of meds i have taken and not had good outcomes? Because that wasn't really what the problem was? Just a thought. Great thread

LeeAnn )O( Earth mama treehugger.gif and mother to DD Leela (9), DSD Ari (9), DD Zen (7), DS Gabrael Riot (4!)
Self preservation is a full time occupation! namaste.gif

#83 of 103 Old 10-12-2007, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthMommy80 View Post
I never thought of these things for myself. So, I know this isn't a diagnosis, but do you think that is why i have possibly had so many difficulties wth the millions of meds i have taken and not had good outcomes? Because that wasn't really what the problem was? Just a thought. Great thread
I think it makes a lot of sense. Meds did zero for me too (and I have been med free for 10+ yrs).

The psychs never knew what was going on with me. Two suggested (but did not officially diagnose, as far as I know) schizophrenia. A few suggested depression. I was on SSRIs and antipsychotics for a while, a few times with horrible side effects. I'm surprised I was never diagnosed borderline. I am semi-mute around people so maybe that is why. I think I seemed way too quiet and serious to be borderline.
#84 of 103 Old 10-12-2007, 02:26 AM

Well on the aspie test I got:
aspie score: 159 out of 200
NT: 50 out of 200
I am very likely an aspie.

I thought this test was pretty interesting. I had no idea that a lot of these things are considered aspie traits or behaviors but I definitely saw a lot of myself in this one.

On the emotional IQ I got:110 but that doesn't really give me any good info other than that I can read faces which I already knew.:

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :
#85 of 103 Old 10-12-2007, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Sure. I got 105, and my strong suit was "emotional management." I'm not at all sure what that means.
I scored a 117 and my strong area was perception.
#86 of 103 Old 10-14-2007, 03:11 AM

117, perception.

babyf.gif

#87 of 103 Old 10-14-2007, 04:01 PM

I can't follow the link to that other thread, can someone copy and paste the link into this thread? TIA!

Here are my results to the aspie quiz:
Your Aspie score: 153 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 46 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie.

On the AQ test I scored a 44, it's the second or third time I've done it but I don't remember my other scores or if they were the same.
#88 of 103 Old 10-17-2007, 09:55 PM

:

LeeAnn )O( Earth mama treehugger.gif and mother to DD Leela (9), DSD Ari (9), DD Zen (7), DS Gabrael Riot (4!)
Self preservation is a full time occupation! namaste.gif

#89 of 103 Old 10-18-2007, 01:19 PM

My diagnosis was alway Depression + high IQ as a kid/teen. Some of the other quizzes are blocked at work, but I could get to the aspie one.

Your Aspie score: 179 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 32 of 200

There were so many things on it I had never heard/associated before...
Do High heat and humidity bother me?
We just spent all our money moving cross the country to get out of a high heat/humidity area.
Do you eat the same food and wear the same clothes every day?
*guilty*

I know this is going to sound very... aspergers of me to scrutinize the test, but I don't particularly feel like the test was very complete I feel like my score was artificially inflated by coincidence. ok I will stop talking now.
#90 of 103 Old 10-18-2007, 05:46 PM
Banned

that's interesting about women being diagnosed with personality disorders rather than aspergers. my dx has changed about a billion times. bipolar (though i insisted i nver actuially became manic after a certain time) different personality disorders etc. every doc has a different opinion. typical psych tests don't seem to work well with me. i produce very strange rawshach (ARGH. SPELLING) results and perform strangely on IQ tests.

i scoared a 34 on the first quiz and on the second i got: Your Aspie score: 150 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 81 of 200

I seriously think my DH has high funtioning autism. this was mentioned by one of our friends who is a researcher but not a clinician.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page