Neurofeedback for ADHD? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-26-2007, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am new to all of this, and I would be so grateful for some information and advice!
DS was recently determined to be gifted, highly so in some areas. We thought that explained a lot, but problems in Kindergarten continue. He is 6. Now he has been determined to have an underfunctioning vestibular system, some auditory issues, near clinically problematic anxiety, and ADHD. The psychologist we are working with now has suggested neurofeedback for the ADHD. She thinks the anxiety can be treated with some play therapy and behavioral counseling. He is already attending OT 2x a week for the SI, and we are considering starting Theraputic Listening at home as well.
Maybe I'm just overwhelmed in general at the multiple issues, but can't you take on too much for one child? I mean, if we have him undergo all of these treatments over the summer, won't he end up feeling like a science project, or a problem? He is starting to compare himself to his classmates already, even though all we ever do is celebrate his creativity and talents.
I didn't find any posts specific to neurofeedback and ADHD, and I'm wondering what you mama's think of it.
Thanks in advance!
#2 of 7 Old 04-27-2007, 12:52 PM

Okay -- this does not answer your question, but I wanted to throw something out for you to consider.

In most literature I've read, ADHD is considered to be a last case diagnosis; everything else should be ruled out first. Since anxiety can portray behaviors like ADHD, it seems to me like anxiety should be worked on before the ADHD. Also, sensory issues like the vestibular ones you are describing can make the world seem a little scary and cause anxiety. Auditory issues can also bring on anxiety. So, if it were me (and I know you didn't ask ), I'd start with the sensory issues first and see what that does for the anxiety and ADHD behaviors.

I'm sure your dr. has a reason for suggesting the neurofeed back first, but I guess I'd have to wonder why he wouldn't be going the route that I suggested. Then again, I'm not an expert, but I do have a child that very well could be labeled ADHD because of sensory and anxiety issues.

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

#3 of 7 Old 04-27-2007, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

LauraLoo,
That actually does help, and it's what I've been leaning toward. He's only been seeing the OT for about 3 weeks for the vestibular stuff, and I think between that and some counseling for anxiety, plus maturing over the summer, we will see how things go. The psychologist is very supportive of the SI work. I think because one of her colleagues does neurofeedback she is probably quick to refer to her. I agree that the various other issues could combine to create symptoms that resemble ADHD.
Thanks for your thoughts!
#4 of 7 Old 04-27-2007, 03:31 PM

I'm glad that I helped If you have the time, there are a few books you might find helpful. In no particular order:

"The Mislabeled Child: How Understanding Your Child's Unique Learning Style Can Open the Door to Success"
http://www.amazon.com/Mislabeled-Chi...7697852&sr=8-1
*Make sure to read the customer reviews on this one - I think you'll find them interesting.

"Misdiagnosis And Dual Diagnoses Of Gifted Children And Adults: ADHD, Bipolar, OCD, Asperger's, Depression, And Other Disorders"
http://www.amazon.com/Misdiagnosis-D...7698112&sr=1-1

"The Out-of-Sync Child: Recognizing and Coping with Sensory Processing Disorder, Revised Edition"
http://www.amazon.com/Out-Sync-Child...7698371&sr=1-1

Also, since your ds has been identified as gifted, has the school made any accomodations for this?

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

#5 of 7 Old 04-27-2007, 04:22 PM

I'll add a couple of things since we have a 5 year old with ADHD -- he was diagnosed at 3 due to a STRONG family history of the disorder. Often giftedness and ADHD go hand in hand -- though not always. Additionally, anxiety is also often comorbid with ADHD. My mother (who is ADD) benefitted from neurofeedback, but I believe the ideal age is around 10 to start -- I do not know that for sure.

We treat our son w/ a variety of both diet mods and supplements (Omega fatty acids are natural mood stabilizers and help w/ anxiety) as well as Magnesium and some amino acids. There's a ton you can do w/o medication if you are interested PM me.
#6 of 7 Old 04-27-2007, 10:25 PM

I can only give the experience of one of my students. I work at a school for bright students with language based learning disabilities. Many also have ADHD. I had one student who did neurofeedback as a 5th grader and by 6th grade he was taking no medication and showed no signs of ADHD. At least none that I could see in the classroom and we have small classes (both physical space and students per teacher) so it is not like I would miss it. I thought it was pretty amazing.

Let them sleep in the middle, Let them be little
#7 of 7 Old 04-28-2007, 04:13 AM
Spy

Neurofeedback is awesome for ADHD, provided the problem is concentration and not something else mistakenly labelled of course. And you don't have to do it necessarily all at the same time. You can do your listening thing (which could, if done correctly, help with vestibular issues as well) and see where you are. If the concentration problem persists, consider NF.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page