for once and for cottonpickin all - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 06-18-2003, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter
pie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are PDDs on the autism spectrum? Would that make a person with a PDD autistic? Are developmental delays PDDs? Is autism a PDD? Is Aspergers a PDD? Is it on the autism spectrum? Would a person with it be considered autistic? Every site I go to says something different and it is working my nerves.
#2 of 12 Old 06-18-2003, 09:26 AM

((((pie)))))

I'm following this with you. I know I've haven't said much to you and it's because I don't know about this end of special needs. I have heard it is mind numbing to try to pin it down. When I got into the system I quickly realized that Duncan's dx of Down's would get him right in the door whereas PDD might not.

All your reading will give you better insights to your son, even tho it makes your head spin.

What it boils down to will be your intimate knowledge of your son and getting the system to give him what he needs. You'll be grateful time and again for AP and the bond it gives you to Spanky.

El
#3 of 12 Old 06-18-2003, 06:23 PM

Well, the "Autism Spectrum" is actually misnamed. Technically, it is the spectrum of Pervasive Developmental Disorders. So, yes, PDD's are on the Autism Spectrum. No, a person with PDD is not necessarily Autistic. No, Developmental delays are not necessarily PDD's. Yes, Autism is a PDD, so is Asperger's. They are both on the "Autism Spectrum". A person with any PDD could be considered as a person with an Autism Spectrum disorder, but as Autism itself has a specific and separate disgnositc criteria only those with a diagnosis of "Autism" would be considered Autistic. I hoep that makes sense to you Pie. Alos, this is my own personal interpretation of thigns and many doctors have their own ideas about it.
#4 of 12 Old 06-18-2003, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
pie

so

when I explain that Aspergers is a form of autism I am wrong? When I look for info under autism support groups I am wrong?

Okay.

Els I really do appreciate that reply. It's hard because while Spanky IS VERY high functioning, it seems hard to get treatments for low or no cost, and it would seem it would be easier if his issues were closer to the surface? I feel like an ass even thinking that.
#5 of 12 Old 06-18-2003, 08:05 PM

Technically, Asperger's is not a "form" of Autism. But I think that description is helpful to the general public. And yes, looking under Autism for help is exactly what you should be doing.

And you know what Pie- I was just thinking the other day that with the scores that Spanky got on the testing and what you haver told me about his language skills, I'm not sure why they are even saying Asperger's rather than PDD or HFA. His language seems like it's more delayed than a typical Aspie kid. I dunno- I'm a big fan of calling it whatever gets you the help you need and not getting hung up on labels.
#6 of 12 Old 06-18-2003, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
pie

what is hfa?

His vocab is pretty good but he doesn't know what feelings are and communicates in a VERY odd manner including some jargon.

shhhhh I think the jargon is cute "AHHHHHHHH sockadockadockadockadocka."
#7 of 12 Old 06-18-2003, 09:01 PM

HFA=High Functioning Autism
sure jargoning is cute, but AS kids rather than having a general delay in language, usually use very pedantic adult sounding language as little kids. Very technical sounding. And you had mentioned that he just recently started answering questions. It just makes me think.
#8 of 12 Old 06-18-2003, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter
pie

yeah he is definitely NOT sounding like a "little professor."

That said he pretty neatly fits most of the traits for AS. Perhaps that is one of those "lining up toys" traits that isn't necessarily so? But then of course like I've told you before, I suspect the traits for AS could be applied to just about anyone.
#9 of 12 Old 06-18-2003, 10:20 PM

Language is th eopne area that separates the "AS" diagnosis from the Autism one, so the rest of the As stuff is the same as any PDD really.
#10 of 12 Old 06-19-2003, 02:56 AM

mamapie I pm'd you.

I just want to add that your comment about your ds using words in unusual ways that fascinate you really struck me as familiar.

Ds (doesn't have aspergers) started doing the most bizarre things with language when he was 3. Dh and I would just stare at him, fascinated. Ds still does it and we still stare, fascinated.

Not sure that ever ends!

Mother is the word for God on the hearts and lips of all little children--William Makepeace Thackeray
#11 of 12 Old 06-19-2003, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
pie

children's language is amazing heart!

Khris from reading Tony Atwood's book, the main thing I see is that once a young child who shows autisitic tendencies begins to speak, it is in a precise, pedantic way. Spanky does tend to do this. He is only now learning to really speak a lot. He is doing well though. Of course he is delayed still, as he was delayed when he began to speak.

So anyway it said around age five (he's four nearly) Aspergers kids show an explosion of language often leading to a new diagnosis in kids previously thought to be autistic. I really wonder if that is what I am experiencing here? Reading the book has me really fitting Spanky in to the AD profile.

Of course I may totally be missing your point. It just seems that Aspergers kids are susceptible to language delays, and according to the book, he is at the right age to begin a language explosion?

Like you said though it's just a label. And I will be studying other PDDs as I seek services for him.
#12 of 12 Old 06-20-2003, 09:47 PM

<<Of course I may totally be missing your point. It just seems that Aspergers kids are susceptible to language delays, and according to the book, he is at the right age to begin a language explosion?>>

My son did not speak more than 4 words at age 3. We went to speech therapy at first at 2.5, then really go into it at 3. When he did start speaking, it was wild! He could name every dinosaur he could get his hands on, but still wouldn't communicate with us. He was about 4 or 4.5 before we really started getting him going. And then...whew....watch out! We are still "humans" and have "nice vegetation" or "foliage" in our yard....not grass and trees. He sometimes sounds like a little alien speaking

He is very at ease with adults and will really chat them up. When he went in for his neuropsych, the dr talked to he and I for about 10 mins, and then her assistant took him for testing, while we finished the parent interview. She assured me it wasn't Asperger's right then and there. She called me 2 weeks later and told me there was reason she never said never...hehehehe......his results came up Aspergers!

I really didn't start to notice how 'odd' things were with my ds until I had ds #2, and he was reaching milestones his brother hadn't even yet, eventhough they are 3.5 yrs apart.

So, just having more language delays than is 'usual' for Asperger's I don't think necessarily rules it out. From what I understand, it is a spectrum...and every AS kid will look a little different!

We were hot on getting a dx, as we didn't need one for IEP reasons, but our insurance kind of wanted to know WHY they keep paying for services on this kid! And, then there was 'showing' my ex-dh that there really was something to all that we were up against with him, that it wasn't just him misbehaving.

But, as khrisday said....whatever label gets you the services your son needs is helpful!

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page