Jobs for moms of special needs kids - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-17-2007, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have any ideas of what kinds of jobs a mom of a special needs child who can't be in group care, or really anyone else's care can get?

Something I can do at night; something that will pay reasonably well; something that isn't life-or-death urgent...

Any ideas?

My degree is in poetry/comp lit, minor in French.

I used to teach yoga, but I can't find enough work...and I can't be away from home really.

Any. ideas. at. all.?

We just got our bill for J's milk. And at this point the amount we owe is $37,000. The insurance doesn't want to pay because he doesn't have a specific diagnosis. :

Never mind that it keeps him out of the hospital...which just for a room at the ER is $2500 a day. So maybe $4000/month is too much for them to pay. :

We don't qualify for medicaid, even with a spend-down. But it's not like we're rolling in the money over here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2007, 09:02 PM

Have you tried freelance copy editing or writing? It's hard to break in and the pay isn't wonderful, but you can often work from home on your own schedule and it would fit well with your degree.

I do some work in this field and it helps, but the gigs are hard to find since there's tons of competition for every little job, especially anything that can be done from home...but when you do find one, it's pretty convenient.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

That's a good idea. I even have some college prof friends who might be interested in that....Hmmm....
Old 05-17-2007, 09:13 PM

translation work?

Or if you were interested, you could get braille transcription license and do transcribing.

Can I ask why your son wasn't able to take your milk? I don't want to be offensive I'm just nosy and curious. <sheepish look>
Old 05-17-2007, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I wonder if the WAHM forum would have any ideas for you. Every WAHM thingie I've tried hasn't worked out since I'm the one with special needs and doing anything other than caring for kids and keeping my house in order is too much for me- and some days I can't even do that.

Maybe getting a job as a professional hit-person would work, esp if the target is one of the "doctors" who've refused to help you.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
Old 05-17-2007, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

It's a long story. The short version is: I wasn't able to pump enough for him. Had I foreseen there was going to be a problem, I would have started pumping the first time he was hospitalized at 5 days old. Since I did not, I ended up with a decreased supply and neither enough time to pump nor the ability to get a let-down with the pump.

I still have milk. I still leak occasionally (he's 3). But I gave up trying with the pump and all the tubes etc sometime last year. Now he gets donor milk in a bottle.

If I could find a trusted supply of human milk other than the bank, I would do that. But he has issues with medications, including Advil, as well as some herbs. They cause him to metabolize his own muscle...we think.

Plus, he takes at times 32oz per day. So it's hard to find other moms who have the time, energy, ability to keep up with that kind of demand.

I guess that wasn't that short.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

How do you get a braille transcription license?

Ruth I can't end up in jail.

Though my dh's response was: Like The Professional?
Old 05-17-2007, 11:17 PM

Having worked for an agency for children with autism and other special needs, I know that there is a need for people willing to provide respite for children with special needs or foster them. The agency I worked for "reimbursed" foster parents $1500.00 a month for the first child and $900.00 a month for the second child (this is for fostering - I don't know the rates for respite). We had many foster parents receiving $2400.00 a month for fostering two children. We wanted at least one parent to be stay at home - thus the reimbursement rates.

If you feel you could possibly take care of another special needs child on weekends or occasionally, you might check out this option. Look for a private, for-profit agency as opposed to a non-profit or govt agency (they don't have the money to reimburse).
Old 05-18-2007, 12:44 AM

If you are willing to provide respite care as suggested by the pp, I'm sure you could keep fairly busy with that. In our state you don't have to have a foster license to do daytime care but you do have to be licensed to provide overnight respite care for foster kids. We have a respite care program through the state available to all foster parents and also to any family with a child who is adopted or is SN. Unfortunately, the suggested rate of pay is about $5/hour, which depending on the kids does not always equal the effort expended ... just depends on what you consider appropriate pay in that respect.

I do medical transcription from home. I have been very fortunate that my boss has been very understanding with my time limitations and needs of my family. (I'm considered self-employed and contract with a company that in turn contracts with local hospitals, but of course that company can choose to let me go.) I do almost all of my work at night, and am paid by the line so my pay is determined by how much work I do - my production fluctuates greatly depending on the health of my kids at the time. I was also fortunate to be able to do on-the-job training with a different company before I contracted with my current employer. I think it's more common to have to go through a two-year program at a technical school and have some sort of a degree, although I think you can also find courses online now. At any rate, it has worked out well for us and the pay is actually pretty good if I can convince my DH to take over at an early enough hour that I can get a good evening's worth of work in ... and not bring the kids to me at the first sign of a tear!

Mamma to three boys : We love :::
Old 05-18-2007, 12:48 AM

direct marketing isn't a bad way to make some extra cash. it's your own business so you call the shots. I sell Pure Romance Products and it wasn't a lot to buy in. Just a thought. I know arbonne is a good seller too.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:53 AM
Spy

I do translations. It may or may not pay well depending on where you are and what the local situation is (demand wise). I used to support my family in one country and barely earn any money in the other . But you may do other things as well, just where I am at the moment the situation is not very teleworker friendly : Oh well, at least I keep myself entertained

Oh, yeah, and I sell Avon too, but I totally suck at it :
Old 05-18-2007, 01:09 AM

You could try to apply for nanny jobs.. A lot will allow you to take your child with you.

I sell Avon and make a decent amount of money when I put the effort into it..

If you have any crafty skills you could try making things that you could sell
Old 05-18-2007, 03:47 AM

associatedcontent.com is a website that pays you to write short articles about what ever you are interented in you submit they make you an offer you can accept or refuse and resubmit. there is a thread about it in the mom's writing group forum.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:58 AM

I just wanted to second transcription or translation work for you. With your background, I think you could find something like that through a hospital to do at home or on 2nd/3rd shift.

We're in a similar situation with our children and me working - my second son is SN & I would have a hard time putting him in daycare or public school. To try and work around that, I'm going back to school to get my RN degree with hopes of working only weekend shifts. The boys are going to have to go into daycare for 2 years until I get finished with school, however...I'm trying to just think of it as 2 years is better than DS2's whole childhood in someone else's care. It's tough, mama! Hope you can find something that works for you! *sending positive vibes your way*
Old 05-18-2007, 12:19 PM

:

What about a proof reader? Another suggestion would be writing/editing newsletters. Alot of Doctors offices/business will send out monthly or quarterly newsletters to their patients/clients/employees.

Taking notes, because I need to be making extra money. No way could I work away from home right now.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

Old 05-18-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissi View Post
Have you tried freelance copy editing or writing? It's hard to break in and the pay isn't wonderful, but you can often work from home on your own schedule and it would fit well with your degree.

I do some work in this field and it helps, but the gigs are hard to find since there's tons of competition for every little job, especially anything that can be done from home...but when you do find one, it's pretty convenient.
I do this once and while when things are getting tight...but I love ruthlas suggestion better
Old 05-18-2007, 04:03 PM

I make a bit online with GPT programs, but not much- there are some on here who make $1,200/month doing it (but I've been doing it since Nov. and the most I've made in profit is $250.) better than nothing. it's pretty easy, there's a thread about it in WAHMs if you're interested.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10

User Tag List