Can food allergies cause seizures? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-17-2007, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Or seizure like activity?

Someone mentioned to me today hearing of a boy who was having seizure like activity but EEG's all came back normal and they later determined he had a gluten allergy. Anyone heard of this? Sounds interesting...

Nicole, mom of 3. Mitochondrial Disease.: Epilepsy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2007, 01:14 AM

Yes. Another mom on MDC has a son who had seizures due to gluten allergy.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:38 PM

Yes!!!!!!!!!

That happened to my son. We got rid of his allergies with NAET and since then he's been completely seizure free.

Our doctor basically told me I was stupid for thinking it could be allergies, but thankfully I never listened to him and we got to the root of the problem and hooray, he's been seizure free now for 6 years!
Old 06-18-2007, 03:08 AM

I dunno....I suppose it could happen. My oldest son has terrible allergies and has some weird stuff happen to him. and my 4yo goes borderline psychotic after ingesting red dye #40. My guess is that diet does affect this stuff more than we know - but I think allergies is probably a rare scenario.

You can still have epilepsy and have a normal EEG. It's only going to be abnormal in the more severe cases and/or if you are having (or just had a seizure).

I hope they find out what is going on soon.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:21 PM

Allergies probably are a rare scenario, yet some information quotes that 75% of childhood non-epileptic seizures can be reduced or gone with dietary changes. That figure led me to believe that there may be more to food, diet and digestion to some childhood seizures than many may believe.

It is definitely something I would check into if you think there may be a connection, especially if the seizures seem to be sporadic.

I only had to track my son's seizures for a few weeks to find out that food was the only common element. Within 12 hours of eating specific foods, he would start having seizure activity.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:33 AM

Celiacs can have seizure activity in relation to gluten. Celiac is more than an allergy to gluten though.

If foods trigger seizure activity, the food and the child should be looked at more closely to determine if it's an "allergy" or something like celiac or like a metabolic disease.

Unfortunately for one of my sons, because we assumed it was an allergic reaction to a medicine, a food, et al, his diagnosis and treatment have been delayed.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:57 AM

I also think that the 75 % number is referring to the ketogenic diet, not to a food allergy type cause.

Personally, I hypothesize that all sorts of bodily strains could increase seizures in a person prone to them, and removal of allergens could move a person from having noticeable seizures to no longer having noticeable seizures. I know the same thing can happen with tics--that they will often get worse with allergies in people who have them. Lots of things are worse when one has allergies, I think, even if there's not the cause/effect relationship there is with eczema, hives, or asthma.

Sherri
Old 06-19-2007, 12:16 PM

one of my twins has seizures 7.5 m/o i am on a strict diet no gluten, dairy, soy, nuts... we ended up putting her on keppra (anti-convulsant) recently due to another bad seizure. she has been free of them for over 6 weeks now, longest we've gone, but don't know why exactly since we doubled up on the "therapies".
i do believe my diet has helped with her rash as well as her severe sleep deprivation.

User Tag List