If your SN child is in public school - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-02-2007, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Would you send your special needs child to an under-preforming school? For state test scores rating a school on reading, writing and math.

My ds has learning disabilities, sensory issues, and some periods of high anxiety. He uses visual aides and has an special resource assistant that works with him at the end of every day to complete his classroom and IEP goals.

We are planning to move at the end of the summer to a rural area. The original town was VERY small but is expanding now. The schools surrounding the new build homes have only been open for 1-3 years. They have a smaller teacher student ratio. He may qualify for a private tutor because of the low test scores according to state standard requirement. My dh thinks would be a bad thing but I think he might benefit from a slower paced school and have less esteem issues if he doesnt feel like he is way behind. He is entering 2nd grade and is 7 yrs old.
#2 of 2 Old 07-02-2007, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd try to visit and talk to the staff of the new schools. I try to not pay TOO much attention to the labels, b/c lots of times, the 'highly performing' just have found ways around the system and sometimes a school can be 'underperforming' just by not having a high enough percentage take the test or have a higher percentage of kids with IEPs who are a few grade levels behind but ahve to take an on grade level test.

The labels are a good starting point for research, but I wouldn't make a decision just on that. Good luck with your decision.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page