Talking to his self - 6 year old thing or AS thing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-09-2007, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't recall my nephews doing this (they are 9 and almost 7) and those are the only kiddos older than my son that I know so I thought I'd ask here.

My son is always talking to himself....always. He answers himself sometimes as well. Sometimes the conversation is partially in his head and partially verbal. He'll laugh at himself and just have a grand ole time. The thing is the only person he can hold a true back-and-forth conversation with is himself hehe. He also will partially have conversations with us in his head and then say the last part of the conversation or sentence and expect us to have a clue. He'll swear he said it all verbally but after the first 10-15x of this happening I realized that no I wasn't missing what he was saying, he was doing it part by thought and part by mouth.

So is this a spectrum thing (he has Asperger's), a six year old thing, or perhaps both?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 07-09-2007, 08:58 PM

My Aspie kids don't do this, and neither does my one non-Aspie kid. I do know one person who does that, and he does have Asperger's Syndrome.

He's a nice guy, doing well in college, but he's very twitchy. He's also got a lot of issues with making eye contact and has more than his fair share of difficulty making normal social contact. Still, he is very competent academically and will be able to live and work independantly, though he probably won't ever have many friends. His family adores him. He has a brother at Princeton, who worships him. His thing is movies. He knows them all, old, new every genre. Can you tell I'm a big fan of his? He used to come into the place I worked, because it was near a movie theater. I got to know him and his whole family a little. Nice people.

I don't know if that helps at all. Maybe your Doctor can tell you how common it is, or maybe you can look it up on a book somewhere.

Kiley
#3 of 11 Old 07-09-2007, 09:12 PM

I just wanted to toss out for consideration that some people are verbal processers. They think best when they can talk about stuff. Some may do it by calling up a girlfriend and talking it all through, some by talking to themselves. In and of itself I don't see it as a bad thing. What I would do is begin to raise his awareness of it when it disrupts conversations by letting him know you are confused. I would also give him a language to talk about it "I'm talking to myself right now, you can listen if you want" or whatever. Our son has expressed that he really just loves to talk to himself. He's always done it and as he got a bit older he became better and handling the social parts that go with that (such as realizing other people are listening, etc.). It is comforting and it helps him think.
#4 of 11 Old 07-09-2007, 09:15 PM

My 8 year old (definitely not Aspie -- very strong social skills) talks to himself A LOT. It's not so much a conversation as an ongoing narrative. I think he's just a superextroverted kid and has to talk to someone. He also talks to characters on TV and in video games.

The school that I teach at uses some nationally recognized standards for English/Language Arts. In PreK (the only grade whose standards I know well) there's a goal that children should talk to themselves -- they feel that talking to themselves is a natural precursor to the kind of interior monologue you want children to develop.
#5 of 11 Old 07-09-2007, 09:15 PM

My hubby does this and so does my son!:
My hubby has self dxed himself aspergers and we think possibly our son is on the low end.
#6 of 11 Old 07-09-2007, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all.

My son was in an integrated preschool as a typical role model - he ended up being dubbed the "language role model" because he has such an expansive vocabulary and he *always* talks. I like the idea of helping him become aware that he is doing it - his Kindergarten teacher had to remind him often to talk quietly or talk in his head, she was a great teacher for him. Of course at his age he's *always* right so if I say he did part of it in his head he will swear up and down that he didn't hehe.
#7 of 11 Old 07-10-2007, 12:10 PM

and sometimes my 9 1/2 yo NT dd does this (not nearly as much as my Aspie). The thing is my Aspie makes eye contact (always has) and he can hold a conversation with others (he's a little Einstein - can talk to anyone appropriately of any age) yet he talks to himself all the time too! In fact unless he's asleep he talks almost all the time. He also talks loudly. I only remind him to talk softer. When we leave the house he doesn't talk to himself nearly as much. he can be quiet at the library and whe he went with Dh and DH's friend to the Pepsi 400 he wasn't talking a mile a minute. It's a very big spectrum isn't it?

Sincerely,
Debra, homeschooling mom of 4 ages 10 1/2 (AS), 9 1/2, 7 1/2, and 4 (Apraxia, Dysarthria, HFA?)
#8 of 11 Old 07-10-2007, 01:02 PM

My dd, 7, talkes incessantly, to herself or anyone else who will listen!! She just likes to hear her voice.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#9 of 11 Old 07-10-2007, 01:37 PM

To this day I still have entire conversations in my head. I always attributed it to growing up on a farm with no actual playmates. I also think it is part and parcel with a well developed imagination.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

#10 of 11 Old 07-10-2007, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I do this, our dd does this and my nephew does this to a major extent. None of us are on the spectrum. My nephew was so "bad" that he couldn't play word games like Boggle because when he found a word, he would say it out loud (and then everyone who was playing with him wrote it down too). It drove him nuts, but he could not suppress it!

I think we forget that there are introverts/extroverts, verbal processors/non-verbal processors among people on the spectrum as well as off. The only 'spectrumy' thing is that he doesn't recognize he hasn't shared all the conversation with you.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#11 of 11 Old 07-10-2007, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

It's good to hear everyone's responses from their experiences with older kids. Ya know when my son was a newborn I really wanted a user's manual...the more he grows the more I realize that the newborn stage was oh so easy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page