Asperger's Syndrome and Hallucinations? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-09-2007, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yesterday I got a frantic phone call from my ex. The children were visiting him and eldest son was having strange hallucinations. He thought he could see and hear demons that were out to get him. He later told me he felt tingly when the demons were getting close. He was very upset and wanted to keep running away from the demons.

His father took him to the ER and then called me. He told me later that he calmed right down as soon as the child knew I was on the phone. I spoke to the ER physician, an internist, and told him that he has Asperger's and ADHD, and sees a pediatric psychiatrist. He agreed enthusiastically that the child should come home and see his regular Doctor for follow up instead of getting pot luck at that hospital. He told me they probably didn't even know what Asperger's is (scary thought, no?).

The child said that he was reading on the internet about demons and all different cases where demons have attacked people. I'm wanting to know how his father allowed that to happen. All three boys were familiar with the stories so this must have been a group activity. They are 10, 8 and 6. That's another issue. I suppose I'll have to send him a formal letter saying the boys are not allowed to use the internet. Blek

The Psychiatrist, says he's seen three or four similar incidents with children in the Autism Spectrum, who were either clear Asperger's cases, or close to it. So far he's been great so I trust him. He sees a lot of children in the spectrum, and said that it's very very rare, but it's something he has seen. He says it's not something he's seen a lot of literature about, but that he has seen in his practice. He says in all the cases he's seen so far the children had a few episodes, that were very odd, then it went away. He says there are a few reports of psychotic episodes linked to Wellbutrin, but they are rare and he's never seen it. He says that's an even longer shot than something to do with the Asperger's, with even less documentation.

So, has anybody seen this?

Kiley
#2 of 5 Old 07-09-2007, 09:56 PM

This article was posted a while back. You might want to read it to see if it applies and also to make sure that if things continue (I hope they don't) the wrong decisions aren't made.
http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/200...sis/index.html

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#3 of 5 Old 07-09-2007, 10:56 PM

Oh jeez! Poor kid!

I don't have anything great to say but I couldn't read and not send a . I hope you get this figured out.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#4 of 5 Old 07-10-2007, 01:49 AM

Severe anxiety can lead to hallucinations in children--my 6 yo has had visual hallucinations of a monster he saw in a dream--He said it's as if he sees part of it and not the whole thing. Auditory hallucinations are more concerning as far as being an early symptom of psychosis, but that usually begins in the teen years. Also, before worrying too much, be sure that he was really "hearing" the voices in his ears and not replaying a thought of hearing something in his head. I know I read articles about visual and tactile hallucinations in young children being linked to anxiety (sometimes the unfortunate kids were taken to the ER and put on Haldol by doc's who didn't know better). I didn't save links to the article, but try googling on terms like anxiety visual hallucinations young children. My son does have AS, too. He also hasn't had a hallucination in a long time.

If he is on meds., definitely read the article that a link was posted to. Something to look out for.

I think that another possibility can be partial seizures, but the more obvious answer here is anxiety, I believe, particularly as the hallucinations were tied to a particular event. Talking through the whole demon thing may help.

Sherri
#5 of 5 Old 07-11-2007, 02:17 AM

Ds isn't verbal enough to tell us what was happening, but I am pretty sure he started hallucinating on some allergy meds...Zyrtec I think. We had also upped his Omegas about the same time as we started the Zyrtec, and his sound sensitivity went way, way up, which may have been the problem, or just making it worse. It resolved itself when we removed the meds and vitamins.

I plan to slowly start a much lower dose of omegas and watch for reaction again.

I guess I am just saying to look into vitamins and meds that might have changed.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page