My girl can HEAR! Violet's hearing update - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 08-30-2003, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone want to read about my famous girl and new Theatre Conservatory???

http://www.tribnet.com/entertainment...-3721109c.html

The article is great and in the newspaper they put her photograph--one I took! We are elated.

My girl is just blossoming. She has potty trained almost overnight. She is starting Waldorf preschool in a couple of weeks. I am not 100% sure about it, but I think its worth a go. We'll pull her if we think it isn't helping.

Her speech is skyrocketing, though the process is still very slow. She was reassessed last week but we couldn't even get a Basal on her because she wasn't cooperating. Her vocabulary has increased by about 300% at least. We are working on reciprositicy (sp?)--having her answer questions. She imitates very well and has started initiating speech but does not respond to questions with much regularity or clarity. She can identify things and point to them. She even self-cues her own speech (for example: she will put her finger under her chin to say "k" sounds--that is what her speech therapist does.)

Her speech therapist thinks she's brilliant and is so wonderful I can't even believe it. She cried when I told her Violet heard rain for the first time last week. She's on our side, kwim?

Violet is tender and sweet with Zoe. She tells her secrets (hand to hear and fake whispering sounds). She greets her every morning by saying, "Hi Zoe! Hi Baby! Hi Sister!" (ey doey, ey baby, hi disder) and "I love you, sister" (ey lub ew disder). Then she kisses her and says, "ahhh, nice!" (ahhh niiiiiiiiiieee)

In February she wasn't able to put any of her thoughts into words, so this is amazing.

She loves music. "Dancing?" she says. Her current favorite movie is "Stomp!" She hates the exhaust fan in the kitchen and won't let me listen to the radio. Like I said, she heard rain for the first time the other day. She matches pitch to fire trucks and other emergency vehicles that are a mile away. She knows there is an airplane above even if she can't see it. She hears trains and says, "TRAIN!" then we have to find it (if we can't see it).

Tantrums are still there but are getting better. I've learned what I"m doing to feed them, so I'm revamping my parenting a bit. I can't be afraid to be very direct and strict about some things. She responds now. She understands. There are some things that I just can't make important right now but it will come. She is learning so much--my little sponge. Can you imagine all that she is absorbing these days? She is making up for lost time--big time.

Oh my girl. She is amazing.

See current pics:

www.picturetrail.com/indiegirl

Love, love, love to all of you. You have been such a support and source of inspiration to me.
#32 of 37 Old 08-30-2003, 02:53 AM
Pom

YAY YAY YAY!! Even my husband is bawling...we are sooo happy for yoU!!!
#33 of 37 Old 08-30-2003, 03:02 AM

Beautiful.Truely beautiful story.
#34 of 37 Old 08-30-2003, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter

By the way, I'm auditioning for The Miracle Worker in a couple of weeks.

We'll see.
#35 of 37 Old 08-30-2003, 10:47 AM

Jesse & Violet~

I am SO utterly thrilled and I am anxiously awaiting for my newspaper to arrive this morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How COOL!!!!! BTW~I referred a mom to you yesterday whose dd might be interested in the Conservatory.

What an amazing and joyful time!

Hugs~

Lisa

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
#36 of 37 Old 08-30-2003, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Oh my dear! It was two weeks ago!

You're so great for being so excited!

Jesse
#37 of 37 Old 08-30-2003, 11:08 AM

Ahhhhhhhh i just noticed that after searching this mornings paper!

hugs-

lisa

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page