Introduction and some questions. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-09-2003, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello everyone. This is my first post on this forum. I'm lisa, the mother to a very special and loved 18 month old ds.

Dh and I have been concerned about his verbal skills. He will be 18 months old in 2 days and only has two words. He says 'boom' spontaneously and appropriately and he says 'na-na' (for banana) spontaneously 75% of the time. I can get him to repeat 'da-da', 'ma-ma', and 'ba-ba', but that is the extent of his language. He has lots of vowel sounds that he makes throughout the day--'ooh, aah, eee' and others. He just doesn't have many consanent sounds.

We've had lots of people tell us that their kids didn't utter a word until age two or something, and while that may be true, something just isn't right with ds's verbal skills.

Other than verbal stuff, he seems right on track. I have a peds nursing book with the Denver II evaluation tool in it and ds is age appropriate for his gross and fine motor skills and social skills. Many of the things in those he is 3-6 months ahead. He is such a happy kid and oh so smart. If he could say everything he knew (colors, body parts, numbers) it would be astonishing. On one hand, dh and I are comforted by the fact that he seems so darned smart otherwise, but are also confounded by the fact that someone who seems so smart cannot verbalize.

We've been reading and doing searches on the net about speech delays and are worried that ds may have apraxia. We're just so sad. It's so hard when you love your child more than anything and to think of them having to struggle is just heartbreaking. Every day I pray that this is the day he'll start talking.

He has a speech eval and hearing test on Monday (7/14). Can someone tell me what to expect at these? And if anyone here has some stories of their kid with apraxia, I'd love to hear them.

lisa

~lisa~mama to 3 boys (1/02, 5/04, 12/06)
#2 of 9 Old 07-10-2003, 12:58 AM

Hi Lisa,

My ds was diagnosed with apraxia at 21 mos, although I knew that was the case long before. He really said very little prior to 27 months, but then once he got started, he can't seem to stop. His apraxia at 4.5 years is mostly resolved, although when stressed (eg. he's hurt, or frustrated, or embarrassed, or dealing with a new and trying situation) his language center still shuts down . It happens less and less though, and when not stressed, the words just pour out. His vocabulary is quite advanced, as is length of utterance, so really, he's come a long way--he now functions much higher than his age range. The three years of speech therapy have been so worth it for Elliott. If your little one is as precocious as he is in other areas, no doubt he is frustrated by his inability to communicate effectively, so EI is an excellent starting point. There's also a great book that I highly recommend (I used it quite a bit as an EI provider) it's Hanen's "It Takes Two to Talk." It provides some excellent information, and great reinforcement--you might want to check it out.
Good Luck!

paige
#3 of 9 Old 07-10-2003, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much, Paige, your words mean more than you could know

lisa

ps, I'm glad your ds is doing so well! How encouraging!

#4 of 9 Old 07-15-2003, 01:20 AM

Hi Lisa,

Just wondering how the evaluation was today. I hope things went well and that your little guy enjoyed the experience.

paige
#5 of 9 Old 07-15-2003, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, paige, for thinking of us.

The evals went well.

The hearing test was normal, as I knew it would be.

The speech eval couldn't have went better. Ds was so cute and 'showed off' all he knows. He interacted well with the therapist and she got to hear nearly all the sounds and words he can make.

She assured us that he probably did not have apraxia as we had feared. She said that he is far too verbal for that. : Anyway, she said that based on this one evaluation, she would classify him as having a phonological disorder and she ordered weekly speech therapy. She said his receptive language was at the level of a 24 month old, but his expressive language was at a 12-14 month level. She was really nice, got down on the floor with us and ds seemed comfortable with her.

I am 97% convinced she is right about the apraxia. I keep telling myself that she knows what she's talking about. Actually, she heard him make to consanent sounds 'h' and 'p' that I wasn't recognizing, so I guess she knows her stuff.

I'm glad he's under her care, because now she will be monitoring his progress and if he doesn't start responding to her therapy or on his own, then she can re-eval him.

I was so relieved at what she had to say that I started crying right there.

Thanks again for asking!

lisa

#6 of 9 Old 07-16-2003, 12:23 AM

lisa, hi, i am glad your ds's evaluation went well. i was thinking i bet he doesn't have apraxia. he sounds about where my nephew was @ that age. my son & my sister's other boy both talked early so when harrison was about a year & a half we started worrying. he said BIRD @ about a year & then nothing, until he was over 2.5. he will be 3 in oct. & he is talking A LOT. he says me do it instead of i'll do it, which the older two never did, but he is talking so well. he went to thr dr. the other day for some big bug bites & when i asked him what the dr. did to him he said, he felt me better! very cute.

he is VERY active & very physically coordinated, he loves to put puzzles together. i think his body was so busy learning these skills it had to put talking on the back burner.

keep updating on your son's progress!

love, jenny
#7 of 9 Old 07-16-2003, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Hey joesmom! Thank you for thinking of us. We live in WV too, but right on the Ohio border. We're like 5 minutes away from Marietta. Small world.

I will definately keep everyone updated on ds. He has first official session on Monday!

lisa

#8 of 9 Old 07-16-2003, 11:16 PM

Lisa!!!!
I'm so glad the eval went well. I'm not surprised at your tears--what excellent news! Sounds like your tot just needs some speech time with someone who isn't quite as invested. That was definitely the case with Elliott. I think he knew how desperately I wanted him to communicate, and it just made it that much more challenging (for us both!). Not that you're pressuring your guy, but you know, he knows what your waiting for.

Anyway, let us know how therapy goes--I bet you both enjoy it.

paige
#9 of 9 Old 07-17-2003, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, paige! You have been so sweet.

I will definately let you know how it goes!

lisa

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page