Bipolar? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 08-08-2007, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anyone here has a bipolar kid? I do.
Share your stories....sometime I feel like no one else around me understand what it is like
#2 of 15 Old 08-08-2007, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My friend does. I don't see her often, unfortunately, but I know other family members of hers that give off a "her kid is a brat" vibe and I just feel so bad for her.

I have bipolar parents and MANY friends/acquaintances are bipolar. It's very hard for me to deal with as the child of bipolar parents (not medicated or in therapy until I was already moved out of their house), but I have no idea of how life is w/ a bipolar child.

When I have been around my friend & her dd, I just try to roll with whatever's going on because I know she's doing the best she can.

I have a hard time w/ ppl's responses to my ASC son, so I hate knowing that other parents get crap, too, for their kids. People who choose not to be compassionate or patient or whatever just piss me off.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#3 of 15 Old 08-08-2007, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

My mom was bipolar and dies under suspicious conditions. My grandpa was bipolar and killed himself.
We felt 5 stage of grief when my son was diagnose....I seriously felt like parental failure, but we learned to deal with it and we are actually grateful for the diagnosis because now we have treatment.
My Dh and I used to be the kind of people who swore that we would never put out kid on med and that only lazy people do it.
I never think "spooled brat or bad parents"...I ahd to suvive some very bad episodes with my kid in public
#4 of 15 Old 08-08-2007, 11:39 PM

Oh, wow. Ok. So you're no stranger to it, either. The link in my sig is about my aunt who was unmedicated bipolar. She recently killed herself. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

I agree -- at least you know NOW what you're dealing with and can get treatment for it instead of just wondering what happened, where did you go wrong, etc.

That's how we feel w/ the autism condition. I have my own il's asking why we're having ds diagnosed. Uh, so we know what we need to do to HELP him. Is that odd to you?? Do you not understand that concept? :

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#5 of 15 Old 08-09-2007, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

Yep, I had people asking me "won't he outgrow it?" etc
People alway feel possed to talk to me about red dyes....we eat everything organic and cook form scratch link 99% of the time.
It is just hard for people around us to accept genetic destiny
#6 of 15 Old 08-09-2007, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenushka View Post
Yep, I had people asking me "won't he outgrow it?" etc
People alway feel possed to talk to me about red dyes....we eat everything organic and cook form scratch link 99% of the time.
It is just hard for people around us to accept genetic destiny
Oh, the red dyes! Yeah, we've had Max on the Feingold Program (eliminates artificial crap and high salicylate foods) and it's GREAT. It's good for you to eat better! But his characteristics are still there. And no, he won't outgrow them.

#7 of 15 Old 08-09-2007, 04:17 PM

I just posted a thread yesterday asking for advice as my bi-polar nephew will be coming to live with me in two weeks. I'm not sure what to expect and would love any perspective you guys could offer.
#8 of 15 Old 08-09-2007, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Hello
1) find out what medications he is on. Make sure she send all of the meds with him and indicates when he take what
2) get a medical authorization form from her if you have to take hims for ER for anything (not nessesary nervious breakdowns, my sons never had one, but stitches etc)
3) Copy of insurance form
4) find out fromher what stresses him and what comforts him
5) Routine is really important. Wha tis his bed time/ How much computer or TV time he is allowed
6) Pick your battles. Stress can really set an episode in a bipolar child. I do not mean treat him like a china cupand expect the worse...but do not plan too many thing on one day or week. if you go to amusement park or museum one day, relax in the yard the next day
7) healthy die and enough sleep. If he take occasional sleeping aid, find out what it is and how mcuh and make sure mom sends it
8) Remember , it is child with a bipola disorder...not a bipolar child (-:
Not every misbehaviors had to to do with bipolar disorder.. a chil with bipola disroder is an individual . My son disorder pretty good control now
9) above all, have fun. My son like to be treated nomrlaly and I am sure other kids have the same desires
10) Be patient with yourself. It can be very hard to be around soemone with mood swing.
#9 of 15 Old 08-10-2007, 09:59 AM

My son has a list of diagnoses, ADHD, ODD, and Mood Disorder -Otherwise specified. They are all tapdancing around the bipolar disorder label, but since he's 6, they don't want to give it to him yet. His therapist says they are leaning toward doing that, his psychiatrist insists that he tries every darn ADHD medicine under the sun first. :

Anyhow, my advice for you (and I agree totally with what the PP said!), but some things to add:

--if he sees a therapist now, continue. My ds goest to therapy once a week and his psychiatrist once a month.
--find out what to ignore! Most of my day my ds is yelling or growling at someone for something. Like if he drops a pretzel. If you get in his face when he does something like this, it will make it all worse. I pretty much ignore all of that all day, unless someone is being harmed by it because he can't help it. (Kind of also like PICK YOUR BATTLES!)
--you must learn quickly to completely ignore the looks, comments and behavior of other parents. This is very difficult. They don't understand that when you son freeks out on the playground for something it isn't because he is behaving badly. I just totalloy tune them out. And those parents who are your friends, they won't understand at first either. Just explain nicely that this is part of the behavior, and usually the child can't help it.

Good luck!
#10 of 15 Old 08-10-2007, 03:36 PM

My stepson was diagnosed with PTSD and ADHD.
Just this year, his therapist finally diagnosed him as emotional bipolar.
I don't understand the distinction between regular and emotional bipolar.
They've said the difference is in regular it's chemically cause, in emotional, it's emotionally caused.
That doesn't really make sense to me because bipolar causes emotional reactions, so it seems odd that emotions can cause the mood swings.
Can anyone explain it better to me?

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#11 of 15 Old 08-10-2007, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

I have never heard of that distinction.....
IT might be a good idea to get a second opnion
#12 of 15 Old 08-10-2007, 10:12 PM

Well, I'm not in a position to do that.
His mother determines who he sees.
That is not in any way under my control.

But I was starting to think there was something wrong with me for not understanding the distinction.
From what his mother has translated to me as to what the therapist said:
It is a temporary, not permanent, condition with J (my stepson).
It is triggered by emotional upsets.
Remove emotional upsets (in his mom's opinion, that would be J's dad : ) and J will be a-okay.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#13 of 15 Old 08-10-2007, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm
It seems weired. Of course out emotion change depending on stress levels etc...but I ahve never heard an expression emotional bipolar.
What really distinguish person with bipolar disordere from others is that mood swing most fo the times have no connection to relaity.
someone wakes up maniac and have super high energy for no reason, wne then next day not wanting to live and depressed even thought nothing change objectively
A good idea is to keeps mood diary and see if mood change are actually connected to anything to anything or not.
Can you suggest a second opinion?
#14 of 15 Old 08-10-2007, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

#15 of 15 Old 08-10-2007, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page