White spots on MRI? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-16-2007, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone know about these? We went to get dd's results of her MRI yesterday, and the neuro said that dd has quite a few "white spots" in the right side of her brain. I was thinking, ok like a bunch of little white pinpricks, but no - they are a bunch of huge white blobs! She has two medium/large ones right near her temporal lobe and another big one lower down...I didn't look at the rest. Dr. said they could be anything, but probably not imminently dangerous, and definitely not a tumor so we will look again in 6 months or so.

I asked if they could be causing the seizures and she said maybe - but those kind of lesions are usually in the grey matter and these are in the white matter. Everything I've looked up talks about MS - but dd is only 2, so I'm pretty sure that's not what it is. The neurologist said it could be scarring or swelling, or fluid or really just about anything, so best not to specualate.

If anyone knows anything about this I would really appreciate it. I'm kinda freaking out here - please, be blunt with me. If I'm being paranoid, tell me. If it's bad, please tell me. I got the feeling the doctor didn't want to talk about it too much so as not to freak me out.
#2 of 12 Old 08-16-2007, 03:57 PM

Hi,
I am not familiar with the white spots in the brain but I will def. ask my message board friends.
Here is a link to a site call braintalk and maybe you can ask there too.

Try not to worry too much mama.
I will be thinking of you.

Mary

http://brain.hastypastry.net/forums/...isplay.php?f=9

[FONT="Tahoma"][B]Mary:::, mommy to Devon girl: 3.30.2006 and Smile Miles 2.24.2009, a funky little monkey!
#3 of 12 Old 08-16-2007, 07:52 PM

I don't think the drs. would keep information from you--from what I've experienced with neuros, they throw out all the possibilities (terrifying or not), and then you're stuck going "WHAT? TELL ME WHAT IT REALLY IS, NOT THE %&*$*# SCARY THING IT *MIGHT* BE!!!!!"

My sons have a lot of white spots on their MRIs, and they have a condition called Tuberous Sclerosis. The "tubers" are non-cancerous areas of the brain that harden and calcify (thus the white spots), and they're what cause the seizures my boys have. TS is about 1/6,000 births, and it's a non-inherited condition most of the time. It's also a disease that is very different person to person...there are people with TS that are totally typical, and there are kids with TS like my boys--very severely affected. Most kids, from what I've read, are pretty close to "normal," but with a higher chance of learning difficulties, epilepsy, and being on the autism spectrum. A lot of it has to do with how many "spots" (and therefore disruption) are in the brain...my sons have dozens and dozens, some large and some very small (the two worst ones were removed for seizure control...one was the size of an egg, the other a little larger). Most people that have TS and are pretty typically-developing kids only have a few spots. Location also matters.

All this being said, it's just one of the reasons a child might have white spots in an MRI. Don't let yourself diagnose with Dr. Google. If you're really worried, call those doctors back and ask them to list out what the white spots might be, and whether they feel they (or you) should be finding out EXACTLY what they are, and when.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#4 of 12 Old 08-16-2007, 08:40 PM

In the white matter, yes things like MS. But anything demilenation, like mito (which has seizure component), peroxisomal disorders, and other metabolic disorders.

I agree with Elisabeth, call back.

But also, I wouldn't wait 6 months. I would insist on having it looked at sooner. Or get a second opinion.
#5 of 12 Old 08-17-2007, 01:10 AM

It's really complicated--beyond me at any rate. We've been wondering whether my son might have NF1, so I've read a bit about unidentified bright objects in certain areas of the brain being associated with that. I do think that more spots correlated (thought certainly not exactly) with more pronounced autism and mental retardation (but you know how unreliable IQ tests on autistic children can be, so I'm not sure how definite that is. I remember that other conditions often have bright spots associated with them (IOW, people with the conditions are more likely to have white spots in certain areas).

I have a white spot that is thought to be a space in my brain that means absolutely nothing.

Here's a link to something likely to be only marginally helpful http://www.medhelp.org/perl6/neuro/archive/16741.html but it does raise the possibility that white spots are sometimes and artifact of the MRI process (they are basically areas of increased signal density).

I don't know what to suggest but I wish I did.

Sherri
#6 of 12 Old 08-17-2007, 04:25 PM
Banned

This is a very long shot, and I don't believe it's what's wrong with your child, but I'm putting it out there for anybody who may be reading this.

Lyme Disease can cause white spots on an MRI. Not in all cases of course. It can also cause behavioral changes, memory loss, learning disabilities and mood swings.
#7 of 12 Old 08-17-2007, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

That is interesting. We don't have Lyme disease in Hawai'i, but it's definitely something to be aware of.

So we followed up with the pediatrician this morning. She doesn't seem too concerned about the white spots either. She said best to just wait and see if they change over time? I'm not really sure what to do. She does fairly ok, even though she has them - meaning her seizures, cognition and speech are pretty good - almost age level - when she's on meds. All her bloodwork has come back fine.

Scary, scary stuff though. There is nothing worse than hearing your child has basically, permanent brain damage.
#8 of 12 Old 08-17-2007, 06:45 PM

This is nothing against your docs 3_opihi. In fact, it seems common among peds. But I *really* don't get this "wait and see attitude."

#9 of 12 Old 08-17-2007, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

I know - I love my doctors actually, which is a rare thing. But this makes me so nervous.

One thing - the neurologist told me she had the best radiographer in the state look it over as well as the epileptologist and they both agreed to wait and see if there were any changes. If they do change, then that is serious. If they don't, I don't know what they will do, but the pediatrician said right now, she seems to be ok even though she has them, so it seems ok to just watch and wait. Obviously, if her symptoms suddenly get much worse or she takes a downward turn, they will rescan immediately.

It sucks because I just want to know WHAT they are and WHY she has them. But I don't suppose that would change much in terms of treatment *right now* except for satiate my need for information.
#10 of 12 Old 08-17-2007, 06:52 PM

I guess my issue is that if they are something like demylination, it needs to be addressed as quickly as possible. I *may* be comfortable waiting a couple of months, but a lot can change for a little one in 6 months.

And really, it's not even about you, it's all over the place. "We'll wait and see...." Honestly, if I hear that again from one of my childrens' doctors, I might puke on their shoes.
#11 of 12 Old 08-17-2007, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

For sure. It's so disheartening. Six months ago our pediatrician (our old ped) didn't even believe dd has having seizures. If it wasn't for me pushing and basically acting like a crazy lady that she would be getting treatment. And I just look back at all that lost time and cringe, internally. I don't want to make that mistake again. And that's not the way it should be - parent's shouldn't *have* to be put in the position to fight for their children's medical care. It's just wrong. Wrong and sad. I wish doctors would be more proactive in general.
#12 of 12 Old 08-17-2007, 09:44 PM

Aloha Wahine! (sorry I had to throw that out there -- I'm missing the islands big time these days)-

Anyway, it is good that the docs don't seem to be too worried. In conversations I've had with neurologists before it sounds like sometimes there are indeed just 'white spots' that don't mean anything, but on the other hand I agree that it would be really hard to wait 6 months. Even though you like your docs, would it be possible to see a different neurologist for a second opinion before that? Maybe then you would feel a little reassured at least. The 'wait and see' approach really sucks, I have to say. The last time docs told us to wait and see it turned out that we were so glad we didn't. We chose to go ahead with surgery (yes, brain surgery on a 9.5 month old) and then found out that it was something worse than what they 'thought' that was in DS's brain according to the MRI. Not to say in anyway, that you are looking at surgery, but I just agree that the wait and see approach is not always right. I'd DEFINITELY try to get a second or third opinion.

Amazing Mama Birth Services
CD(DONA) and Birthing From Within Mentor and Birth Doula

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page