Is there a place to donate weighted blankets? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 08-16-2007, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I made a weighted blanket for my DD and see so many people looking for them but are afraid to try it because the can be pricey. Making it was easy and it feels like some small thing I can do to help other families struggling like we are. I am just afraid of this crazy litigious world we live in - that somebody will do something stupid like use one that is too heavy and smother a kid or something. Does anyone know of any organizations that would accept them as a donation? If the cost can be re-imbursed, great, that would let me make more, but I can afford to donate a few out of pocket. Any ideas who would be interested in them?

Ann
#2 of 14 Old 08-16-2007, 06:35 PM

Our Early Childhood Intervention (ECI) loves donated therapy items! Their budget is so limited that they can't buy all that they need. They also keep a room full of things to donate to local families who cannot afford them. We just donated our reflux wedge last week. It is tax deductable too.
#3 of 14 Old 08-16-2007, 08:02 PM

Darnit! I would have happily received your donation a few days ago, but I just bought one. There is a website that does a blanket exchange program, it may help with some answers...BRB...

http://members.aol.com/mtcustomblankets/GIVE.html

don't know what help that would be, but there you go.

Mama to H (6) B (3) : A (1)
#4 of 14 Old 08-16-2007, 10:40 PM
Banned

You might try and see if a local physical therapy clinic or even a special ed class wants the weighted blankets. These two places would probably be happy to receive something as a donation.

The local special ed class where I used to volunteer were really happy when someone donated a Tumble Forms Feeder Seat to their class, because it made it easier to feed some of the kids with cerebral palsy.

Jessie
(single mommy to Emma, 3 1/2 years and Angela, 2 years)
#5 of 14 Old 08-17-2007, 01:51 AM

I'd take your donation happily!! I'd even pay you!

Besides that, you could call any schools in your areas that have autism programs.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#6 of 14 Old 08-17-2007, 03:53 AM

How do you make your own...any chance you can recommend a link or pattern: I can never remember the ratio to weight. Ds needs a new one (AGAIN lol) and I would love to just start making them.
#7 of 14 Old 08-17-2007, 07:00 AM

ditto on your local Early Intervention program. That where we got the weighted blanket we have now and the one before it. They have a mother who started making them for her dd and now she makes them and dontates them to EI. They never have enough, we had to wait a long time to get the one we have now, and its only one for a baby.

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#8 of 14 Old 08-17-2007, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll ask DD's OT, but I kind of doubt they will take them. They haven't had many suggestions about where to get things like that. I'll call EI though. I have never worked w/them because I was in denial :

They are really easy to make. I'm working on writing it out and adding a few rough pictures. I didn't come up with it, I'm just using what I have learned from other mamas. I'll post a separate thread when I have it done.

Ann
#9 of 14 Old 08-18-2007, 06:57 PM

You could send one to me! I take donations!
#10 of 14 Old 08-18-2007, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strathconamama View Post
How do you make your own...any chance you can recommend a link or pattern: I can never remember the ratio to weight. Ds needs a new one (AGAIN lol) and I would love to just start making them.
Here is a great link with very easy to follow instructions : http://velcrokids.com/?p=6

I haven't made a blanket for my dd yet but I will soon.
#11 of 14 Old 08-19-2007, 04:43 PM

thanks for the link.

The blankets we got from early intervention we're done in pockets with the flat aquirium stones (you can feel them through the blanket)

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#12 of 14 Old 08-19-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy1221 View Post
You could send one to me! I take donations!
Same here!

I actually think I'll make one. Just need to go to Michael's (craft store) and pick up some beads.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#13 of 14 Old 08-20-2007, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniedb View Post
Darnit! I would have happily received your donation a few days ago, but I just bought one. There is a website that does a blanket exchange program, it may help with some answers...BRB...

http://members.aol.com/mtcustomblankets/GIVE.html

don't know what help that would be, but there you go.
I bought a weighted blanket for my dd 2 years ago from this lady. Excellent, excellent quality. She was a dream to work with. My dd is so happy with her blanket and it has helped her in so many ways.
#14 of 14 Old 10-31-2013, 03:03 PM

I would very much be interested in weighted blankets or weighted stuffed animals for elderly patients in our psych wards at the hospital
Please feel free to contact me

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page