Sew your own weighted blanket - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-17-2007, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sure this is out there somewhere, but I couldn't find it. I posted a tutorial on how to make a weighted blanket on my LONG neglected, pathetic little blog. Pics are included. Please leave comments if you have any other ideas. Directions

Ann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2007, 03:00 PM

Thank you!!! I may actually have to do that soon.....:

Do you have pics of the blanket you made?
Old 08-17-2007, 03:04 PM

That's how I did mine!
Old 08-17-2007, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

I could take a picture, but then you would see my shame I can't sew a straight line any better than I can draw one. It is wonky and ugly, but it works and DD thinks it is beautiful I'll try to post a finished pic a little later.

Ann
Old 08-17-2007, 03:24 PM

Thx for posting mama...Im going to give it a try tonight
Old 08-17-2007, 04:29 PM

We don't need a weighted blanket, but that looks super easy to make. Cool!

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

Old 08-17-2007, 04:32 PM

What are weighted blankets used for?

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 08-17-2007, 04:36 PM

Those are good directions. It looks like we followed the same method.

I'll add two suggestions for anyone thinking of trying this out. One is when you put the beads down into the channel it helps a lot to use a measuring cup. I found I spilled a lot fewer beads that way. Two, it helps to use tight weave fabric. I found one of the best ways to get cheap yardage is to use top sheets. The last one I made I used a high thread count polished cotton sheet I got for $3 or $4 in the clearance section at Bed, Bath and Beyond. I made it three years ago and it still looks so new. TJ Maxx is another place where you can get often get top sheets for cheap.

I really encourage folks to try out a weighted blanket. It made a HUGE difference for our child.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:01 PM

Thanks for the directions...now if only I could sew (or knew where my machine was buried!)

Anyone want to recommend a place to BUY weighted blankets?? I've come across a few sights online, but not sure what I'm really looking for...

THANKS!
Old 08-17-2007, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
They give deep pressure sensory input to people who need that kind of sensory input to sleep. They are calming and soothing for lots of people who have autism or sensory integration dysfunction or other special needs that make deep pressure soothing.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch View Post
They give deep pressure sensory input to people who need that kind of sensory input to sleep. They are calming and soothing for lots of people who have autism or sensory integration dysfunction or other special needs that make deep pressure soothing.
Thank you for letting me know.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 08-17-2007, 06:04 PM

Wow. Ok, I'm doing this. Thank you!!

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

Old 08-17-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by things1n2 View Post
Thanks for the directions...now if only I could sew (or knew where my machine was buried!)

Anyone want to recommend a place to BUY weighted blankets?? I've come across a few sights online, but not sure what I'm really looking for...

THANKS!
Oh! There are some WAHMs that do it! Let me see if I can find some sites and I'll get back to you.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:15 PM

OK! I found the three WAHMs that were recommended to me.

Dreamcatcher Blankets
Salt of the Earth
Sensory Critters

HTH!
Old 08-17-2007, 07:49 PM

I finished making one for ds yesterday. He loves it! It really helped him to settle for the night. He felt the weight was "cozy" and stayed lying under it instead of wiggling and jumping to get his "excitement" out. I was surprised that he didn't seem to sleep longer though. I am making him a weighted lap blanket today. I want to make a blanket for me too. I love the feel of the weight.

ETA: apparently sand is NOT recommended due to silica dust, which when inhaled can cause serious lung issues.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
snipped
I finished making one for ds yesterday. He loves it! It really helped him to settle for the night. He felt the weight was "cozy" and stayed lying under it instead of wiggling and jumping to get his "excitement" out. I was surprised that he didn't seem to sleep longer though. I am making him a weighted lap blanket today. I want to make a blanket for me too. I love the feel of the weight.

ETA: apparently sand is NOT recommended due to silica dust, which when inhaled can cause serious lung issues.

Pat
Thanks Pat, I edited to clarify that I was not recommending the alternatives. I wouldn't want anyone to use anything unsafe thinking I was recommending it.

Ann
Old 08-17-2007, 11:30 PM

Wow, this is so helpful!
Thank you so much everyone for the directions, tips and links.
My 2 year old dd is really struggling with sleep and sensory issues right now and I was thinking of trying a weighted blanket.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:23 PM

I have been sewing for YEARS, and consider myself pretty good, but I couldn't figure out a good way to make a weighted blankie that wouldn't clump and shift.

This is a simple, brilliant idea, and I am so tickled that you posted this. It's the reason I opened an account on mothering.com.

I am laughing at myself, cuz I would have made this much more difficult. The idea of sewing the channels, then filling them and sewing them incrementally is really smart.

Thanks again!!!
Old 09-20-2008, 05:02 PM

Ds ALWAYS sleeps with his weighted blanket. It is a like a magic blanket. As soon as he is under it and stops wiggling, head on the pillow, and he'll be chatting away..... and suddenly it is silent, totally gone, asleep! We sleeps soooo much longer and more soundly with the blanket!!

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
That looks great! I was going to make one with buckwheat, like a buckwheat pillow, but I don't think you can wash that, can you? Where did you get the beads and are they washable? Ds1 has nighttime wetting, so we'd have to have something that we could throw in the wash if need be.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfTheMeadow View Post
That looks great! I was going to make one with buckwheat, like a buckwheat pillow, but I don't think you can wash that, can you? Where did you get the beads and are they washable? Ds1 has nighttime wetting, so we'd have to have something that we could throw in the wash if need be.
I have a buckwheat pillow and I wish I could wash it. I don't think I can, though.

I purchased the little plastic filler beads at Hobby Lobby, I believe. Any "Michaels" type craft store probably carries them. They are usually used for making dolls. They are washable. But, I'm not so certain about drying on hot, maybe air fluff. (I haven't washed ds's.)

The beads are the most expensive part. Like $6 per 1 lbs. And we needed 6#.

Pat

P.S. I think one of the mamas around here may make them. I don't recall for certain. Maybe check the TP.

I have a blog.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
I want to know too!
Old 09-21-2008, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyAngil View Post
I want to know too!
Sensory input to help settle the neurological system.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Sensory input to help settle the neurological system.

Pat
o so its like when I put 3 (or 6, I would put more but that is all I own) blankets on... I see. That if nifty. Would any one think it silly of me if I made a big on of these for me?
Old 09-21-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyAngil View Post
o so its like when I put 3 (or 6, I would put more but that is all I own) blankets on... I see. That if nifty. Would any one think it silly of me if I made a big on of these for me?
I love burrowing under heavy blankets too. They make them available for full sized beds. http://www.weightedblanket.net/

Pat

I have a blog.

User Tag List