Autism service dogs - found a great blog - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-31-2007, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.merrillsfund.com/

Found this blog today - a detailed story of a profoundly autistic boy and a dog named Hunter.

RedOak - Elisabeth: weren't you thinking about this? I am also very interested! Bede could do very, very well with such a canine friend...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2007, 07:38 PM

Awwww....our doggie is named Hunter, too. He stops her from going places when she is angry, like up the steps or close to her brother. He's not a SD or specially trained, although I would like to take him to some classes soon.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:58 PM

Fee, you ROCK!

You are so thoughtful to remember my post! I don't have time to read it now, but I'll come back this weekend and really check it out. THANK YOU!

Autism service dogs for everybody! :P

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
Old 08-31-2007, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

:

You're welcome
Old 09-01-2007, 07:24 PM

Sounds like a great story, and I would be interested in looking into this, though I admit that with the blog, I couldn't bear to read past where the author writes in the most recent post that Hunter is used to help keep Merrill from stimming.

I believe wholeheartedly that stimming goes away when it is no longer needed.

I'm pro-adoption reform, but not anti-adoption.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra View Post
Sounds like a great story, and I would be interested in looking into this, though I admit that with the blog, I couldn't bear to read past where the author writes in the most recent post that Hunter is used to help keep Merrill from stimming.

I believe wholeheartedly that stimming goes away when it is no longer needed.
If you do keep reading, all the dog does is touch him when he stims - in theory, to get him sensorily grounded. It gave me pause too, but it's not awful at all. More like "Hey, Merrill!"

I totally made up the word sensorily, but, you know what I mean.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:16 PM

I think Dom would love a service dog and could benefit from it and I started looking in to it, but I just can't leave the house for a week to get familiar with the dog before bringing it home. I can't seem to figure out how we'd make that work. Especially with all of the places being pretty far from home as well. Maybe in a couple years...
Old 09-01-2007, 09:55 PM

We considered a service dog. Then we found ourselves family to a service cat. That's what we call her anyway. She keeps Kearnan calm and loves him totally unconditionally. WE have no idea to this day where she came from, she just appeared at our doorstep. As soon as she met Kearnan she put her paws on his chest and gave him a kitty kiss and they have been best friends ever since. She's always there when he needs to be calmed, she just appears. Totally not what I think of when I think of cats.

We just got a young american bulldog that I am thinking would be nice to have trained as a service dog though. Kearnan can't take his cat out of the house with him, and defiantely not into stores and stuff. If our dog were certified he could go places and help me. Though honestly in the past year Kearnan has gotten so much better. I really have a harder time handling his NT baby brother than him these days. Do they train service dogs for difficult toddlers?

ETA: does anyone know where you might go to look into training for a dog you already have?

User Tag List