Did anyone else go through a "grieving" period when your child was diagnosed?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-17-2003, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering if I am really crazy!!! My DD is now 6 1/2 and is doing well, but when she was diagnosed at 17 months, I had set in my mind that we will do whatever we needed to to make things okay. After that we tried to go home and be "normal" but I was a total mess.

It now seems like such a blur, but I really was short tempered and nasty to people. All I could think about what was and wasn't going to happen in my DD's life and how my DD was going to be so different.

I think I have finally gotten to a place where I can come to terms with it all, but occasionally I have "self pity times" that I get really down about it all. Not just for myself, but how much my DD is different and how much she has to overcome to just do regular things. It just really breaks my heart. But I do look at her and realize that her disease has really made her who she is and I am so proud that she is such a great kid. She is very respectful and caring and finds such joy in the little things.

Well, I guess this has turned into a vent for me. I am new here and have just been lurking lately, so I hope I haven't scared anyone away. I do know I have issues.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Melinda
#2 of 4 Old 07-17-2003, 12:25 PM

{{{Melinda}}},
All of us went through a grieving process. (at least everyone I have ever encountered with a special needs child). It's normal and natural- you have lost the "perfect" child that you expected. Grief does come and go, I think most of us experience some of those down times. Some people benefit from some counseling, but I don't think you have "issues" just because you have these periods.
#3 of 4 Old 07-20-2003, 01:01 AM

I'm glad you've found a place here where you feel comfortable venting. I can't imagine how it must feel to have your child diagnosed with a disease or special needs condition, but I am quite certain that grieving is very much a normal reaction. By the way, what was your DD diagnosed with?

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#4 of 4 Old 07-22-2003, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply's. I actually do think my DH and I handle our DD's special needs fairly well, but of course we have our moments. I think the other day when I wrote the orignal post was one of them. It just sometimes get overwhelming and exhausting.

By the way my DD was diagnosed with Glycogen Storage Disease which she had at birth but wasn't diagnosed until 17 months old.

Thanks again - This seems like a great place for advice and to vent.

Melinda

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page