Dietary Issues - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-10-2007, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To preface this, I will be returning in 3-4 months. My son and husband are in California. Long story short, I'm in the army and on an unaccompanied assignment. The place I am at does not offer anything in terms of therapy for my son, so it was not in his best interest to come with me. Talking with my husband, he was telling me that our (autistic) son's diet is extremely limited. And he refuses to eat anything not on the, as we call it, "Bubbichka Approved List."

The List consists of : : fritos, cheetos, chocolate ice cream, soda, ground hamburger with taco seasoning, taquitos, chocolate cake, and dry cereal--right now it is frosted cheerios. There may be a few more items, but those are the main things he will reliably eat.

We want to expand his repertoire, but he is soo conservative when it comes to his food and we do not want to create struggles at mealtime. Any tips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 09-10-2007, 06:34 PM

I recommend the book "Just Take A Bite" by Lori Ernsperger. Between her book and a presentation I saw her give we've been able to expand my son's food repertoire a bit. He'll eat celery now after I let him paint with it a while back. Go figure hehe.
#3 of 3 Old 09-10-2007, 07:31 PM

Hello! My son who is also autistic had lots of feeding problems, particularly at a young age. At one point he would only eat orange food and no white etc. We found that the common thread of things he would eat were things that have strong flavor. We gradually expanded his foods by introducing one thing at a time that had a similar quality flavor-wise. For example. He loves vinegar-based things. We started (if you can believe this) giving him caviar and crackers in extremely small amounts just to see if he would eat that. And, that was only on rare occassions when we'd have a grown-up get together and happened to have caviar on hand. He also loves pickles and sourkraut. We knew we'd achieved something when he ate the kraut because it's white!

My reccomendation is to see if there's a common thread among the things he likes and expand from there until you're further and further away from the flavor-base. You might be surprised!

Good Luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page