Knives - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-11-2007, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I walked into our kitchen today to find ds1 with two knives in his hands. He had reached way, way back in our clean dishes sink and gotten them out. It's just pure chance that he didn't hurt himself (one knife was dull, and he was gripping the blade in his palm...the other knife he was holding by the handle).

I need some advice on knife safety. With kids that are physically typical but extremely cognitively delayed, what do you do with sharp objects? They can get at them almost anywhere. We don't have a dishwasher.

I'm still freaked out that this happened. He's never grabbed from the clean dish area before. What can I do to help make things safer? I can put them in drawers, but now I'm afraid he'll someday pull open the drawers and get into knives.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2007, 07:22 PM

Sorry, I don't know that I have good advice for that, but I just wanted to post, that must've scared you to death! My oldest was a worry for a long time, because she could climb anything, but lacked the cognitive ability to be cautious. We kept our knives up in a top cupboard for a long time. And I was always very careful not to let her see us take them down. Without a dishwasher maybe you could just always be sure to wash and then immediately dry and put away your knives?

Hope you find a solution! I know whenever I found dd doing something dangerous/scary, I'd have almost like horrible flashbacks of what COULD have happened! Good luck!!
Old 09-11-2007, 07:45 PM

Knives are my big fear - we keep all of our knives way up high in a cabinet and don't let the kids see us get them out. My oldest can climb but the knives are in a place that one wouldn't expect and he has no reason to go into those cabinets.

I'm glad that he's OK - I can't imagine how you felt when you saw that!
Old 09-11-2007, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost&foundmom View Post
We kept our knives up in a top cupboard for a long time.
There is a cabinet above the sink and I keep our knives up there. I have to remember to put away scissors immediately after I use them or else my youngest will play with them. It's frustrating for me to have to remind my older children all the time to put away their scissors (blunt yet still dangerous).

I forgot and left a disposable razor in my shower. My 4 yo shaved my bar of soap and then started shaving his penis! I almost died! Thankfully the razor was full of soap and he was unharmed. I was in the bathroom too brushing my teeth. I almost vowed to never shave again but my very hairy legs got to me after a few weeks! (I am very careful to put them in my locked drawer. I usually remember to put it away immediately but I forgot once and my son got the razor.)

Hardware stores and discount stores sell locks for cabinets. Not all are very good (some just slow them down a bit). Best wishes on finding a solution.

Sincerely,
Debra, homeschooling mom of 4 ages 10 1/2 (AS), 9 1/2, 7 1/2, and 4 (Apraxia, Dysarthria, HFA, OCD)
Old 09-11-2007, 08:28 PM

We have our kitchen locked when we're not in it. It's an older house, so it doesn't have an open house plan - DH just hung a slatted folding door and we latch it at the very top with a bolt. In the next few months we're going to have to go to a hasp and combination lock I think, since if you jiggle the door in just the right way you can sometimes get it to open.

If we didn't have an easily shut off kitchen, I'd get hasps and locks for the cabinets or drawers that had dangerous things in them, for sure.

How scary for you that must have been! I'm so glad he's okay.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:00 PM

After our dd attempted suicide (at age 8, has COBPD--is 10 now) I made a cabinet for the sharp tools and implements. It's made out of magnetic strips on a thin bamboo veneer backing and 1x2 (really more like base moulding) pieces for a frame. It's bolted through the backing to the wall (into the studs). It's got a framed bamboo veneer door with a mini-combination lock on it. I think I spent maybe $50 making two of them (bathroom and kitchen) because I wanted the pretty bamboo ( I was thinking hardness and aesthetics). It was easy enough to make and I totally suck with hand tools. A cabinet maker would be horrified at my "cabinet" but it works, so, there it is.

Aikido training has helped dd learn how to deal with knives (wooden) and so far we haven't had another situation. She can use the real ones in the kitchen with direct supervision... although I have to admit it took us a long time after the incident before we felt strong enough to do that. But I think the cabinet has been a key element in moving on.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:29 PM

I walked in to find Andrew with a knife once (by the blade, not cut because it was super dull). Hubby had left it on the counter and Andrew has a wicked reach. But in general we keep knives locked up actually--we use tot locks and no child could get that open I don't think. We've got the knives in a drawer with the lock (it requires a magnetic key--not a big deal for an adult/really isn't inconvenient) but would be very difficult for a child to open it likely even if he had somehow got the key. A bit of trouble to install but worth it for knives and meds/supplements.
I really recommend those locks. If you want to see one "in action" let me know and I'll video and email you a link. It does work well and you can't see them at all on the outside so no worries visually if that is a concern.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

User Tag List