Calling all Deaf and signing moms... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-14-2007, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to know what a normal developing Deaf childs language should look like. My district isn't great with assesments, but that is ok because if DD tests "normal" she can no longer receive services on an IEP. So I want to know what should a 4 year old ASL user be doing with her signs? As much as I hate them I would kill for something that could tell me what is normal,(check list!!!!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2007, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

My problem is that because ASL has such drastically different features, and I am not fluent, I don't know what she should be doing. When do they start using classifiers, role shift in story telling, etc? I need the point of view of someone who has naturally acquired the language (or seen it with their own children) as apposed to being taught in a class.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:51 PM

Sorry, I don't have much experience with ASL so I don't have an answer for you but I was wondering if there was a school for the deaf (is that offensive? I don't know the proper terminology) in your area that might have someone on staff who could give you some ideas?

Martha
Old 09-14-2007, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

My DD goes to a school for the Deaf but in our area ASL isn't highly valued. They school believes that the goal should be only using English. 3/4 of the staff don't even know any ASL.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:08 AM

I'm not really sure as we are not ASL users. Try listenup at yahoo. They have a lot of ASL users over there. The only thing I "think" I remember is that they aquire words at pretty much the same rate. I don't really know if ASL development would be that far off from regular development -- after all - it is her first language. It may be different if it were her second language. That is my take on it. Have you tried AGBell? I'm sure you can find some other advocacy group in your area.

IMO - it doesn't matter WHAT a deaf child can do at any given point. A deaf child should always receive services because they will always be deaf. They will always come into new language and new concepts that will be hard for them to acquire etc. But I'm pushy like that.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:51 PM

If you can't find answers to your questions, you might try contacting a university with a Deaf Ed or SLP program and see what kind of information they can give you
Old 09-15-2007, 02:19 PM

Betcha the child development profs at Gallaudet can give you the info you need, if they are available: http://depts.gallaudet.edu/fcs/
Old 10-17-2007, 11:35 PM
Lou

hi mama!

Honestly, it is really important for the deaf child to have assessment by evaluators who are experienced in working with the deaf child, and preferably fluent in ASL. Studies show that evaluations are way more accurate with experienced evaluators. If your district can't offer that, then perhaps you could request an evaluator from your state school for the deaf. I know that some state schools have evaluators who do outreach and work with mainstream programs in the state.

I know it's really tough for someone who is not fluent in ASL to be able to tell what is developmentally on track or not, in terms of signing skills. That is when it helps to have an outside person come in who has more experience and fluency in ASL.

I'm a Deaf mama, and have two children- one Deaf and one hearing. They are both developmentally on track in language- in ASL and spoken English for my hearing child and ASL for my Deaf girl. It's really difficult to accurately evaluate a deaf child for language skills, though, due to all the conflicting factors- fluency in language models, diverging methods of teaching, the role of speech training, etc etc. My 2 1/2 yo uses classifiers.... not role shifting yet. My 5yo does. I think what you could look at is the complexity in communication, the understanding of irony and humor. You don't need an understanding of classifiers to do that, yes?

But ultimately, because your child is deaf, she should continue to receive services whether or not she tests developmentally on track.

User Tag List