I'm in love with IKEA for sensory 'furniture' - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-18-2007, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dd and took a trip to IKEA yesterday (they recently opened up one in town and I have a nostalgic love affair with the place because dh and I lived in Sweden for a year).

I realized looking through the kids section that they have an amazing collection of stuff that could be used to set up a sensory room. Including:

Rope ladders
Swings
Spinning chairs
Swinging chairs (they have another kind in the store too that's cloth and a bit more enclosed)

All of this is suitable for indoor or outdoor use. Anyway, just thought I'd post so that others who are looking for reasonably priced stuff might be able to use them. If finances allow, I'm going to set up some of these (namely swinging chair and the spinning chair, and maybe the rope ladder) in our 'playroom' this winter. It'll be good for both kids -- ds has diagnosed SPD, and dd doesn't, but is a bit of a sensory seeker.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2007, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We plan on turning our dining room into a gross motor area, and Ikea will be the main source. They really do have great stuff!
Old 09-18-2007, 03:14 PM

I want all of those!!

How does one connect them to the ceiling so the ceiling doesn't come down?? Bolt into a joist, enough? The site I read said to have a bolt through the joist with a nut on the other side. This sounded nearly impossible. But, the "weakest link" is the force limit; and I imagine that ds will add a lot of force by jumping on any swinging apparatus. Any btdt systems/suggestions? Photos?

Thanks, Pat

I have a blog.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
I want all of those!!

How does one connect them to the ceiling so the ceiling doesn't come down?? Bolt into a joist, enough? The site I read said to have a bolt through the joist with a nut on the other side. This sounded nearly impossible. But, the "weakest link" is the force limit; and I imagine that ds will add a lot of force by jumping on any swinging apparatus. Any btdt systems/suggestions? Photos?

Thanks, Pat
I would like to know this too....we have a mexican baby hammock that my DD LOVES and we had it attached to a beam with just a screw-in bike hook - but she managed to pull it out and got whacked on the head with the hook. So any suggestions about how to anchor this stuff?
peace,
robyn
Old 09-18-2007, 03:33 PM

Look at this one. http://www.hammocks.com/hammock-chai...mmockchair.cfm

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
I want all of those!!

Thanks, Pat
They sell these to go with the swings.

I want some of that stuff. The one chair, that closes up like an egg, is sadly almost too small for my girls. I really wanted that one!
Old 09-18-2007, 03:41 PM

We have a different hanging chair, I'm not sure if they sell it anymore. It fits one child, and it's all fabric. You sit inside it on a cushion, and you're enclosed on three sides by the fabric, and it swings around suspended from the ceiling. My kids ADORE it.

To attach it, you need to anchor it into a ceiling beam (the long big pieces of wood that run inside your ceiling from end to end of rooms). You can often find them with a stud sensor. We used very large bolts with eye hooks at the ends. Ikea also has anchors you can buy, but those should also be put into a beam.

Just FYI, I've found that the website for Ikea is a pain in the butt to navigate and order from. It's often a lot easier to go to a store or buy pieces on ebay. There really ARE a ton of great sensory toys, though--check some of these out.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
Old 09-18-2007, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peekyboo View Post
They sell these to go with the swings.
Ahhh...that makes me feel safer! Thanks. I like the "multi-bolted-in" theory of stability.

Thanks. The ebay one looks great too!

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
They still sell the fabric one in the store, but not in the catalog. That's the one that I want to buy, because the 'enclosed' aspect is better for our ds' sensory needs (he relies overly on his vision to compensate for his vestibular issues).

I agree that the store is much easier to deal with. I overheard a sales associate say that only about 1/3 of the stuff they have is in the catalog. And none of this stuff can be ordered online. But buying it in house requires a nearby Ikea. And the patience to navigate the store!

OK, I need to get some dishes done. I will quit playing on the internet!

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
Old 09-18-2007, 04:27 PM

You know, I didn't find navigating the store all that hard. What made my blow my top was 1) the lack of customer service and 2) the fact that you can't take the shopping carts outside into the parking lot. There I was, two kids and HUGE shopping cart full of bulky objects in tow, and I had to find a way to get everything out to my car sans shopping cart.

:

After that craziness, I got home and found out the swing I bought (which again, I adore and is worth all the work) was missing a vital element. The inflatable cushion. Which is required. Even though it says that NOWHERE on the swing package that you need to buy something else. Even though the distracted customer service guy said nothing about it.

Grrrr. A 2 am purchase on Ebay later, the cushion was on its way. That's one of the reasons I say ebay is easier....no store to navigate, easy instructions, and the mark up is pretty low.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:58 PM

Wow. Wow. Wow.
I never knew. I really want some of this stuff if I can scrape up some money.
Question--if you installed say the rope ladder could you take it down when it wasn't in use--unhook it easily?

Another question--about stores--do you have to go to a really big city to find a good selection or would any IKEA store be ok?

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Old 09-19-2007, 12:18 AM

We take our stuff down from the ceiling all the time. Some of the pieces are made to be detached from the anchoring hooks easily, some aren't. Either way, you can buy hardware (simple, simple stuff like hooks and chain joints that unscrew) at any hardware store that makes these things easy to take down.

I think most IKEA stores are the same, but I'm really not sure. And again--ebay is an option.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:29 AM

we have the ikore (?) haning chair, it's cloth and more inclosed than the one you show, and the seat is a big air bubble. fabulously calming sensory thing, plus it's a bit of work to get situated in because of the paritally inflated air base. he tired it firts at an OT office.

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY
Old 09-19-2007, 02:56 AM

If you get the Ekorre bolt spacing to work for multiple accessories then you can take them up and down. If it's not so easy, adding heavy duty carabiners to the bolts would mean you can just open and close them each time--that's how DS's previous OT's room was set up for swings, anyway.

I'd love to get my act together with all this before winter. btw, you should call the IKEA you are going to to make sure the stuff is in stock before you go. At ours, the Ekorre ladders are in for a month, out for three, etc. Other products are the same.

I also hope I can still get an air element for my swing, Red Oak Mama.

Oh, the one thing that stressed me out about the bolt is that they don't include the hardware to attach them to the ceiling or say what you need to attach them to--they basically pass the buck and say "consult the store you buy the bolts or screws from about what you'll need to be safe". So I still haven't hung the damn thing, but I'm not so great at that kind of thing!

Sherri
Old 09-19-2007, 03:00 AM

Oooh lovin' all the links. Ds has been a mean lean sensory seeking machine since the weather turned and Ive bee racking my brain for ideas for inside
Old 09-19-2007, 11:33 AM

Thanks for the AWESOME links! I have a basement room that we are turning into a playroom/sensory gym and these things would be PERFECT for my sensory seeker!

I miss IKEA since we moved from Seattle. Guess I'll be scouring eBay or making a road trip.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOakMomma View Post
You know, I didn't find navigating the store all that hard. What made my blow my top was 1) the lack of customer service and 2) the fact that you can't take the shopping carts outside into the parking lot. There I was, two kids and HUGE shopping cart full of bulky objects in tow, and I had to find a way to get everything out to my car sans shopping cart.

:

After that craziness, I got home and found out the swing I bought (which again, I adore and is worth all the work) was missing a vital element. The inflatable cushion. Which is required. Even though it says that NOWHERE on the swing package that you need to buy something else. Even though the distracted customer service guy said nothing about it.

Grrrr. A 2 am purchase on Ebay later, the cushion was on its way. That's one of the reasons I say ebay is easier....no store to navigate, easy instructions, and the mark up is pretty low.
Wow! Here they let you take the cart out of the store. How odd.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:33 PM

http://bp2.blogger.com/_obEUhJK4EWI/...0/100_7897.jpg
this is our ekkore/ikore/whatever hanging chair. If it weren't so close up, you'd see the whole thing looks like a teardrop, and is mostly enclosed.

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY
Old 09-19-2007, 04:26 PM

We've got the ikore swing. It was a pita to install, but Dakota loves it SO much.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
Old 09-19-2007, 04:56 PM

I wish we had an Ikea, lol. I want DH to turn the extra room in our basement into a sensory room, or split it up so at least part is... I need to show him those links!

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:31 PM

I have found someone who will install an indoor swing for us!! (so the ceiling will stay up. ) And located the swivel anchor. Actually, the local "Archadeck" (outdoor play equipment) is going to install it for us. Yeah!

Now I need some suggestions on what type of swing to select. I found this one on-line. But, it looks kinda large.
http://www.hammocks.com/hammock-chai...mmockchair.cfm

Any one have any experience/suggestions?

Thanks, Pat

I have a blog.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:19 PM

DH wanted me to thank all of you personally for being responsible for draining his wallet this Christmas
Old 10-06-2007, 08:50 PM

Hey, Lynn, we're in the same city as you, and I too have spent too much time at the new IKEA, although I hate it. Love the stuff, hate the store - hate the endless maze, the lack of customer service, hate the carts, which seem to have been designed by someone who didn't get that there should be something that will make the wheels point forward most of the time, hate the whole thing. But, yes, those swings! Love those swings! We too will be buying them when we finish our basement and make our playroom. Our OT has two swings and a chair from IKEA actually.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:32 PM

*rant about IKEA and their kid area*

When DD turns 3, I am SOL when it comes to their child care. In our area (Atlanta), they do not allow non potty trained children there....no exceptions. So of course my daughter misses out. I tried calling the manager and explaining our situation with NO luck at all.

I have a love/hate relationship with that store. Part of me loves it. Part of me hates it.

Oh and then there is the fact that our Ikea was built on a toxic dump that was supposedly clean. But I do not trust that either and do not really want to chance brining the kiddos there.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:40 PM

We did it! We installed a sling swing in ds's bedroom/playroom. I was concerned about how to attach the swivel to the ceiliing, and the manager at the Archadeck company offered to install the swivel bracket when I purchased it! So, he came out today and the sling swing is in FULL SWING!! Ds LOVES it!! About his first words were "I want to sleep in here".

This is a link which shows the one we made. And the fabric was only $2 per yard. http://www.adaptivechild.com/index.a...ROD&ProdID=550

Yippee!!

We literally just tied the fabric on the carabiners and attached them to the swivel! It was so easy!

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:53 PM

I want to make a "Body Sox" next with the same material. http://www.lisabarrettmann.com/Body_Sox.html

They are about $80 each online. but only about 3 yards of material.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:07 PM

The link to the swing you immitated looks incredible, and I know my son would love it. I want to make one yesterday , but I'll settle for making one in the next week or so.

Can you show us photographs of how you sewed/tied the material, and into what kind of hardware (carabiners, swivel) you used? I know it's a hassle to take photos and attach them, but I would so appreciate it! If photos aren't possible, can you describe it all in greater detail?

Thank you!

Old 10-25-2007, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOakMomma View Post
The link to the swing you immitated looks incredible, and I know my son would love it. I want to make one yesterday , but I'll settle for making one in the next week or so.

Can you show us photographs of how you sewed/tied the material, and into what kind of hardware (carabiners, swivel) you used? I know it's a hassle to take photos and attach them, but I would so appreciate it! If photos aren't possible, can you describe it all in greater detail?

Thank you!
I am technology challenged. Everyone keeps telling me it is easy to copy and display photos. But, alas, I can't do it...yet.

Hmmm... I got 8 yards of fabric which is "stretchy in two directions". It said "knit" as the type of material. I purchased it from Walmart, from their remnant table, $2/yard. Apparently, it may also be called "interlocking" fabric.

We purchased a BIG outdoor swivel anchor from the playground store. It has two large bolts which go through the base into the center of the ceiling joist. (the bolts are about as large as my pinky finger) It has the swivel integrated into it. I checked at HomeDepot and they had one with only a "90# weight limit". I know with enough force, ds would pull much harder. So, the backyard playset store had a heavy duty kind. It was $25 for the anchor. A different backyard store said he could order it for about $45. It is the anchor they use for a tire swing.

We only used about 6 yards of the fabric. I wish I had about 9 yards so that I could double it.

So, I tied one end of the fabric in a large knot so that the carabiner is inside the knot, not pulling against the knot. (I need photos!!). Kinda like a tie is tied, rather than a square knot.

And then I determined the fabric length, so that ds could get into it independently.

Then I tied a knot in the other end of the fabric around the other carabiner. And we just hook the carabiners to the swivel.

Does that make it clearer or muddier???

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:44 AM

Ok, this sling swing is the MOST fun thing in our house!! Everyone needs one!! My friend took photos and uploaded them to Flickr. http://www.flickr.com/photos/62261090@N00/

You can see the bolt, the knot, and the "vine". I left the excess fabric hanging and we made it an additional swinging apparatus (the "vine"). Also, we placed a pillow inside in order to make it easier for ds to climb into it independently.

He has spent *hours* every day in it, since we hung it on Thursday. It is EASY!!

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:02 PM

Pat, THANK YOU! That is the coolest thing!

One question...the knots at the top of the swing...I can see the knot in the pictures, but I'm not quite understanding the way it's tied (I'm not the best three-dimensional thinker ). Is there an end sticking out of the knot? I see the carabiner at the top, then a loop of fabric right above the knot, and below the knot the swing material hangs down....but below the knot, is there also the end of the fabric sticking out?

Hope that's not too unclear. Let me know if I need to get my math husband in here to check it out...he'd probably have a better way of seeing it, or asking questions if needed.

Thanks, and thanks a million for the work of having photos put online!

User Tag List