Oprah - Autism topic - Sep18/07 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 79 Old 09-18-2007, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
http://www2.oprah.com/index.jhtml

Holly Robinson Peete and Jenny McCarthy discuss their sons.

Mom to a teenager and a middle schooler.

#2 of 79 Old 09-18-2007, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh, how far I've come that I'm already grumpy thinking I'm not going to like what is said. Which is unfair, b/c they deserve their own journeys, but my back goes up whenever Autism is in the media lately.

But I'll tivo it and watch it anyway. I'd hate to miss the discussion. :

#3 of 79 Old 09-18-2007, 04:54 PM

I liked their description of what autism is on the website - what did you guys think?
peace
robyn
#4 of 79 Old 09-18-2007, 05:37 PM

I'm watching it now...afraid it's your typical media spin. I won't give away anything for those of you that would like to watch it yourselves...hopefully we can all discuss it after it airs for everyone.
#5 of 79 Old 09-18-2007, 06:29 PM

"Save their sons"? From what?
#6 of 79 Old 09-18-2007, 06:32 PM

I'm watching. I agree with Jenny about the candida connection, the GFCF diet, etc. but I'm annoyed at the whole "recovery" aspect.

Nicole, mom of 3. Mitochondrial Disease.: Epilepsy
#7 of 79 Old 09-18-2007, 06:39 PM

I don't have a whole lot to say about the show, other than the fact that Jenny's discussion about being a single mom, putting her son first, and the fact that the two of them came as a package hit me hard.

I've been a single mom for four years - I have three kids, 13, 9 and 4, and my middle son has autism. One of the *biggest* reasons I put off dating was because of him - because all of my children had to be my biggest priority, but especially him, because if it isn't me making him a priority who would? And how many men go out saying "Wow, a single mom of three, one of whom has autism - now that's what I'm looking for!"

BUT - God had other plans for my life, and a few months ago I started dating an amazing man who has quickly become the love of my life. He loves me and he loves my children, and just a few nights ago we discussed my son in greater detail (he already knew his diagnosis) and it hit me like a ton of bricks that the fact that my son has autism isn't a detterent to him at all - and even if my son never leaves this house to live on his own that it will be okay and he will love and support us both forever.

Okay, I know I got wayyyyyy off topic, but it's what I'm feeling and I wanted to share it - I don't know if there are many other single mom's of special needs kids out there, but I wanted to share this side of it...
#8 of 79 Old 09-18-2007, 06:46 PM

Yeah, I actually teared-up when she talked about how babysitting can help moms. Not assuming everyone here would agree, but yowza that is a big thing in our world.
#9 of 79 Old 09-18-2007, 06:47 PM

I don't really know my celebrities, but isn't Jenny McCarthy the woman who wrote about circumcising her son and wrote this whole creepy pedophiliac-sounding passage about her son's pretty penis?

If so, it's not the least bit surprising that she would hold those views about autism.
#10 of 79 Old 09-18-2007, 07:00 PM

I refuse to watch it because I think "recovery" is a crock of bull puckey and hate the fact that the stupid media gives it any credence whatsoever.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter of "recovery" :

http://www.cammiemcgovern.com/articles_nytimes.html

But that's just MHO......me and my 10 foot pole are running for the hills from this thread now...
#11 of 79 Old 09-18-2007, 07:11 PM

I hope this doesn't come across wrong, but I don't understand her saying that he is healed when he still has "traits" of autism. Holly portrayed some of the positives which is nice to hear. It's not a death sentence and hey, maybe her son *will* be a mechanic!
#12 of 79 Old 09-18-2007, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch View Post
I refuse to watch it because I think "recovery" is a crock of bull puckey and hate the fact that the stupid media gives it any credence whatsoever.

But that's just MHO......me and my 10 foot pole are running for the hills from this thread now...
Gonna have to read that link when I have free brain space - I want to make sure I get it all in.

I'm watching the show now - it's only about 10 mins in so we haven't gotten to the "recovery" journey.
#13 of 79 Old 09-18-2007, 07:53 PM

Okay it's almost over and I'm pretty much annoyed now. Holly Robinson Peete talking negatively about parents who "leave their kids in that autistic world" instead of choosing recovery. Hmm.
#14 of 79 Old 09-18-2007, 08:16 PM

I didn't watch it. I don't like to watch negative portrayals of autism when my kids can see them too.
#15 of 79 Old 09-18-2007, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTwoAs View Post
Holly Robinson Peete talking negatively about parents who "leave their kids in that autistic world" instead of choosing recovery.
I only saw about 20 mins of it but I missed that part. I was going to say I actually thought she was okay - it must have been really hard to get the dx in 1999 when all the info about autism was SO negative. She talked about how we have to value these kids the way they are and try to figure out how they learn. And the part about telling pediatricians to not just brush off mother's concerns - the way our pediatrician repeatedly blew me off still makes me mad.
#16 of 79 Old 09-18-2007, 09:32 PM

I thought she was okay until she said "we need to change our vernacular, these kids aren't autistic they have autism" - it went down hill for me pretty quickly after that hehe.
#17 of 79 Old 09-18-2007, 09:39 PM

I never watch tv and I was so tired of all the damn commercials that I stopped watching. Yeah I don't like that is/has thing either.
#18 of 79 Old 09-18-2007, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigianna View Post
I don't really know my celebrities, but isn't Jenny McCarthy the woman who wrote about circumcising her son and wrote this whole creepy pedophiliac-sounding passage about her son's pretty penis?

If so, it's not the least bit surprising that she would hold those views about autism.
Youa re right about this one, she is the one that made that comment.
I honestly didn't bother watching. I didn't like the other show Oprah did on autism either and I have enough to PO'd and frustrated enough in my life without people telling me I ought to turn myself and my son inside out the hard way so he won't have autism anymore. Not my cup of tea.

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :
#19 of 79 Old 09-18-2007, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Okay it's almost over and I'm pretty much annoyed now. Holly Robinson Peete talking negatively about parents who "leave their kids in that autistic world" instead of choosing recovery. Hmm.
Ugh, she probably doesn't even realize the offensiveness of assuming not only that being non-autistic is better than being autistic, but that autistics live in a separate "world." : Autistics are her neighbors, her family members, people on the bus... we're not living in some compound somewhere.

Quote:
I thought she was okay until she said "we need to change our vernacular, these kids aren't autistic they have autism" - it went down hill for me pretty quickly after that hehe.
I don't mind people who prefer the phrasing "have autism" over "is autistic," but for goodness' sakes, don't tell me and other autistics that we are being offensive for preferring the word "autistic" to apply to ourselves. I don't mean to offend any of the lovely parents of autistics here, but it annoys me to no end that so many parents of autistics act as though they own autism :
#20 of 79 Old 09-18-2007, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigianna View Post
Ugh, she probably doesn't even realize the offensiveness of assuming not only that being non-autistic is better than being autistic, but that autistics live in a separate "world." : Autistics are her neighbors, her family members, people on the bus... we're not living in some compound somewhere.

I don't mind people who prefer the phrasing "have autism" over "is autistic," but for goodness' sakes, don't tell me and other autistics that we are being offensive for preferring the word "autistic" to apply to ourselves. I don't mean to offend any of the lovely parents of autistics here, but it annoys me to no end that so many parents of autistics act as though they own autism :
Very well said!
#21 of 79 Old 09-19-2007, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch View Post

Move on over, I want to sit with you.
#22 of 79 Old 09-19-2007, 02:06 AM

The fist time in MONTHS that I sat down to watch some tv and it was Oprah. I made a totaly of 5 minutes:

Finch, Ive passed that link on to other mamas countless times since you posted it last.
#23 of 79 Old 09-19-2007, 02:41 AM

there's a thread about it on the vax board.
I had to comment because my boy is intact and had the mmr spread out and is still on the spectrum I've sure I'm a UAV but it totally bugs me.
#24 of 79 Old 09-19-2007, 02:54 AM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
Quote:
i really did here that the other way! i heard jenny say my son has autism and that she does not like the hear people say your son is autistic...

Off Topic QUESTION??? what do you think about the Vax being a link? is MMR shot really labeled as the autism shot?

i really want to know...

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#25 of 79 Old 09-19-2007, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebug View Post
i really did here that the other way! i heard jenny say my son has autism and that she does not like the hear people say your son is autistic...

Off Topic QUESTION??? what do you think about the Vax being a link? is MMR shot really labeled as the autism shot?

i really want to know...
Most autistics think not. Most experts agree.

http://www.neurodiversity.com/main.html excellent source for all things autism.

http://www.neurodiversity.com/autism...ntroversy.html--their take on the vax controversy.
#26 of 79 Old 09-19-2007, 03:12 AM

I just get so tired of how the vaccine issue is discussed on all these shows!!!!!!!!!!! It is always presented as a thimerosol issue. Anyone who has done any research realizes that the vaccine connection is so much more complicated than that. Even the statement on Oprah's show today from the CDC mentioned thimerosol specifically 3 times in 2 paragraphs. Since thimerosol has been removed from vaccines for a few years now, except the flu shot, I don't know why that aspect of vaccines is still so focused on. There are new cases daily of autism, so obviously it isn't just a thimerosol issue. Drives me crazy!:
#27 of 79 Old 09-19-2007, 03:27 AM

I'm still just trying to come to terms with my DS's autism. He's not formally dx but I just know.

He didn't have all the sudden 'traits' after getting vax'd. His first MMR was spread out and he missed out on mumps because no one in our area had it! The truth is that he has always been the way he is. There was no magic bullet. He was never normal and all the sudden he wasn't.

I don't want to belittle the vax theory. I think that there are kids that are predisposed to having autism and the vaxs' trigger it. I just think people should look beyond it.

Jenny McCarthy is awesome. More power to her and all those kiddos out there with GFCF issues. The more info the better. We are seeing that we just have CF issues. Will this cure DS? Nope but as a mom you have to do as much as you can. That's the moral of the story. Find what works and go for it.
#28 of 79 Old 09-19-2007, 04:14 AM

I have a lot of mixed emotions about this. Tons of things bothered me by it, some was good. Even some of us that don't need to "cure" our kiddos still would like to help them if we can. So although the whole recovery thing drove me nuts, I do think it is great that they talked about gfcf. I mean, even some of us on this board that don't think our kids need to be "saved", still do this diet for our kids because they feel better on it. I just figured most people knew about gfcf but when I read some of the messages on Oprah's website, I saw that many didn't know and this is the first time they heard of it. So that was one part I think was good.
#29 of 79 Old 09-19-2007, 04:26 AM

Celiac disease is not autism. There are autistics who have celiac disease; there are autistics who don't have celiac disease; there are non-autistics who have celiac disease; there are non-autistics who don't have celiac disease.

I think it's great that these moms are helping their kids recover from celiac disease. However, they are not "recovering" their kids from autism.
#30 of 79 Old 09-19-2007, 09:42 AM

I saw a bit of the other Oprah and Autism Speaks show and well I'm reminded why these shows are useless and no good information comes from them and why my MIL can understand my non-verbal son's speech perfectly because of something she saw on Oprah!

Wheew!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page