kinesio taping - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-26-2007, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone's PT or OT use Kinesio Taping with their kids who have low tone? What has been your experience? Our PT has been taping Dd's feet/ankles for a while now and one foot seems to have improved, the other not much. Today we started taping the tummy to help her strengthen those muscles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2007, 03:26 AM

I'm curious too. Lily's PT suggested taping instead of AFO's for her legs, but she hasn't done it yet.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
Old 09-26-2007, 11:46 AM

This really interests me. I think at this point, Maura's AFO's hinder her abilities a bit b/c she can't really bend her ankle. She does need the support the AFO's give, but more flexibility. I was going to look into hinged AFO's but if these could be a viable option, I'd love to try it! I mean, imagine her being able to wear any type of shoe she wanted and still have the support she needs! Maura loves shoes.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:15 PM

we taped my son's feet and ankles for low tone and also his leg. supposedly it stimulates the muscles. It did not work with us. it never stayed on properly. what worked best for him was special shoes.

but i'm sure it does work for some or else it wouldn't be used.

we stopped after 2 weeks with minimal progress in 1 foot and none in the other
Old 09-26-2007, 12:15 PM

We tried Kinesio tape with our dd years ago to help with her low trunk tone. SHe has really sensitive skin, so unfortunatley it left her looking like a crocodile! LOL!

Honestly though I didnt see it working much when it was on, either.

Proud mom of three!  Special needs teen princess wheelchair.gif , 7 year old happy girl modifiedartist.gif , and my flower toddlerhearts.gif

Old 09-26-2007, 05:33 PM

My DD was taped her first year on her belly (until her fine motor got to the point were she started a game of ripping off the tape ). I don't know how it helped with the strengthening, but i do think it helped her become aware of those muscles more when moving. She also used a theratog vest which helped in the same way.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:52 PM

Our OT tapes dd's shoulder blades (they wing way out otherwise). She has had her abs taped once but we didn't see any improvement. This week she also taped dd's right shoulder & up her neck because she hunches one shoulder and the trapezius (sp) muscle on that side is very tight. She hasn't mentioned taping feet or ankles/legs. I get the premise behind it, but I haven't seen any major improvements with dd. Part of that might just be because dd is just not motivated to move.

User Tag List