Mothering Forum banner

Lil Update on Ds

420 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  LynnS6 
#1 ·
Long story short: We've decided to seriously look into homeschooling next year. We feel Ds is getting "boxed in" at public school and we are unable to find a private school to take him. We will hopefully be doing a combination of unschooling, projects (that stem from his interest) and classes at the various museums and such around us. I am a big fan of John Holt and Sudbury schools.

Some of our concern is he is really bright. Although his services for the autism are nothing less than awesome, his mind is not being as fully tapped as dh and I would like. He tested two years ahead at the beginning of second grade but then at the end of second grade tested barely or not even at grade level. I just about fell out of my chair when I was told that one thing he was unable to do on the later test was count money. This from a kid who collects coins. Yeah, he blew off the test. He hates anything that resembles a dog and pony show.

We also are not too keen on the homework. It is a major pia when there are other things we'd rather be doing with him in the evening.

If we are going to pull this off, I am going to have to do some research and be quick on my feet following his interest.

We're see how we are able to pull this off with both dh and I working
:

See less See more
#3 ·
good luck!

You might want to also post on the Gifted Kids board. There's a thread there for Twice Exceptional kids (gifted and special needs). There are a few books out there too on the topic that might be a good place to start.

Friends of mine ended up home schooling as well - their son has major ADHD, possible autism spectrum (some major disagreement among evaluators), SPD and is incredibly bright. When he was bored in the classroom, his behavior just tanked. And the school was so behaviorist oriented that they couldn't see that their behavior 'plan' was actually making things worse.

Now my friends are doing more 'unschooling' than a set curriculum. The changes they've seen in their son are amazing. He's gone from multiple rages a day to maybe one a month. He's excelling at learning and now thinks of himself as smart.

They have to do a lot of juggling to make this work. She works part time, and her husband doesn't work a typical schedule. Often one of them is able to be home during the day. They fill in with college-aged baby sitters when they are both at work - they often look for people who are planning on going into special ed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.