Pros and cons of a weighted vest - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-12-2007, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wanted to see if anyone has any input on the advantages and disadvantages of a weighted vest. Our current OT is recommending it for our ds although I have other OT's that don't see a need for him to use one. I have not come across a situation where I feel like he would benefit from it but I wonder if I am missing something.
Thanks!
#2 of 5 Old 10-12-2007, 07:22 PM
Ok

Ds wears one at school sometimes, and will go and get his weighted blanket and get under it at home.

The weighted vest/blanket is more of a calm-down thing. Almost as if his body is too out-there-out-of-control for him and it helps him shut down to a more reasonable level of sensory input.
#3 of 5 Old 10-13-2007, 10:57 AM

My DS has used a weighted vest with his OT. It's something I've been debating whether or not to use at home or school at all.

On the plus side, it gives him about 20 minutes or so where he can sit (relatively) still and focus on a task. But beyond 20-30 minutes, his body gets used to the weight and he doesn't notice it anymore and he starts getting squirmy, fidgety, clumsy again. And as soon as the vest come off, he does have a harder time with his focus and spatial awareness.

At this point, I don't think it would be helpful at school because the negatives (especially the backsliding afterwards) would outweigh the benefit. At home, right now I am able to provide him enough other accommodations and tools that it isn't necessary. If it got to the point where he needed it I would probably put one together but for right now, I don't see a clearcut *need* for it.
#4 of 5 Old 10-14-2007, 04:25 PM

I have used deep pressure vest with an autistic child and it seems to have a calming effect, especially right before bedtime.
#5 of 5 Old 10-14-2007, 06:12 PM

Andrew does well with weight (we've done vests, lap blankets, and things that sit in his lap to help with concentration). Like a pp said, for concentration it has to be used judiciously. Calming input I would think maybe you would use it more. We don't have anything at home but all his OT's have used them successfully. I keep meaning to make him a lap snake. I wish I could afford something purchased.
As far as Jordan I kind of think it probably most helps kids with proprioceptive/body in space issues. Andrew actually seeks out that pressure input by getting in tight spaces and seeking out squeezes and tackling people. Perhaps other kids benefit too of course. But I can certainly see the benefit with a proprioceptive seeker.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page