Home made weighted lap pads/vests? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-23-2007, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I am a special ed teacher and a SN mom, and I have a student with sensory issues (but did not qualify for OT/PT) that I would like to provide weighted lap pad/vest/neck roll, whatever he needs, and was wondering if any of you had made your own, and especially, what you filled it with. I was also wondering if any websites had instructions.

TIA for any info.
L.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2007, 01:42 AM

We haven't made one *yet*, but we do use two different blankets and one vest that our OT from EI gave us on loan. I found one site through the dogpile search engine: http://www.connectingfamilies.net/cf...ted%20blankets

They have an area that you can get a pattern to make a vest or blanket.

You may want to make sure you don't make it too heavy. Ours is 3lbs for our 30 lb son. Also, you'll probably want to make a cover for it, so it'll be washable in case it gets messy from sickness, etc.

Some things that people have used for the weights are popcorn kernals or beans or plastic pellets (from fabric shop) or pea gravel.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:33 AM

I really like these simple, straightforward directions - with pictures! http://velcrokids.com/?cat=4

I haven't made ours yet, but I just bought all of the stuff. We are going to use poly beads from the craft store as filler.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:49 PM

What a great site! Thanks, Mellanie
Old 10-23-2007, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lactationlady View Post
I really like these simple, straightforward directions - with pictures! http://velcrokids.com/?cat=4
I used that site for the general info to make my ds a lap blanket over the weekend. But, since I was sewing by hand, I wanted to take out some of the steps. I ended up buying a pillow case and using that. Then I just sewed the chambers in, filled it with poly beads, sewed the chambers shut then sewed the opening of the pillow case shut.

I've got the material to make a vest but, again, it'll be by hand so I'll probably get around to it next week (out of town this weekend).

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

Old 10-23-2007, 07:36 PM

The velcro kids site is mine, lol... I'll be adding directions for weighted vests as well made from any vest you have at home. If you girls have more ideas I'm looking for people to add to the site as writers/contributors. I'm not able to keep it up to date as much as I'd like.

(I hope that is ok mods, its not a business, just a info blog for craft ideas and resources)

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:01 PM

my sons OT has a weighted vest that puts the weight on his shoulder area instead of the bottom or sides.. it also looks just like a regular vest...

here is the link for the one he wears there.. he likes this better then the one with the weight on the sides.. I am trying to figure out what they use for weights as the weight is circle shaped...

http://www.otvest.com/
Old 10-23-2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephandOwen View Post
I used that site for the general info to make my ds a lap blanket over the weekend. But, since I was sewing by hand, I wanted to take out some of the steps. I ended up buying a pillow case and using that. Then I just sewed the chambers in, filled it with poly beads, sewed the chambers shut then sewed the opening of the pillow case shut.

I've got the material to make a vest but, again, it'll be by hand so I'll probably get around to it next week (out of town this weekend).
Great idea to use a pillowcase. That would be easy. You could use a print pillow case, or get a white one and decorate. Another idea would be to put print pictures of family on it!
Old 10-23-2007, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine233 View Post
The velcro kids site is mine, lol... I'll be adding directions for weighted vests as well made from any vest you have at home. If you girls have more ideas I'm looking for people to add to the site as writers/contributors. I'm not able to keep it up to date as much as I'd like.

(I hope that is ok mods, its not a business, just a info blog for craft ideas and resources)
Thanks for sharing! Great site
Old 10-25-2007, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your replies - very helpful.
L.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:23 PM

I wanted to suggest contacting your local Easter Seals foundation. They have a consortium for supplies needed for children with a variety of special needs. They might have something for you. The consortium is a no cost loaner program, consisting of donated equipment. When you're done with it, you pass it on to another needy family or return it to the program for re-circulation. We've received a large yoga ball, mat & walker from them in the past, for use in home therapy and mobilization.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:45 PM

Thank you for posting these links and the other options. I've been looking to make my DS a weighted vest and a blanket but I have very beginning sewing skills. Anything I can visualize helps so much.

User Tag List