White particles in urine - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-25-2007, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was changing dd's diaper tonight and she happened to pee while I was changing it. The urine was clear until the very end, when white stuff started coming out. I looked closer and it was lots of little tiny white particles. She had them on her bottom this morning when I changed her diaper but I thought it was just residual diaper cream or something.

We have recently started adding ALOT more fat to her diet. Could that cause it? Should I take her to the doctor? She has no fever.
#2 of 7 Old 10-25-2007, 08:25 PM

I'm not sure, but could it possibly be a UTI? My daughter had one, and her urine was whitish. The white was somehow "separate" from the yellow, but I'm not sure I would describe it as having "particles." Or could it be the wipes or washcloth are shedding?
#3 of 7 Old 10-25-2007, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

No, these were definite particles. Kind of like the stuff in a snow globe, only much smaller peices. I'm sure it wasn't fuzz from the wipes. They had a cheesy texture when I tried to wipe them away. They all smooshed together and smeared, which is what made me think the extra fat in her diet could be causing it. I have no experience with UTI's, so I will probably call the doc tomorrow.
#4 of 7 Old 10-25-2007, 11:28 PM

Sounds like a yeast infection. But it could be a UTI.

Fat is supposed to be processed in other organs, not the kidneys. If she had fat coming out in her urine, she would be in serious trouble. I'm not even sure it's possible.
#5 of 7 Old 10-26-2007, 01:57 AM

DD had white particles in the urine one time that I know of. She had peed into a children's potty and I saw stuff floating in it, freaked out, emptied the potty into a plastic container and brought it to the doc. It was tested to have a very high pH and to be ammonium phosphate crystals. The doctor said it can happen if a child is dehydrated. Her urine was retested and the crystals were gone.

I wasn't satisfied with that explanation, but after plenty of Googling most sources said that ammonium phosphate in urine was rarely anything to worry about.

Anyway, just saying this is a possibility. I'd take a sample in for testing to be sure, if you can, since it could also be a UTI.
#6 of 7 Old 10-26-2007, 06:30 PM
Banned

Most likely, its either a yeast infection or UTI. Most of the time, UTI's can cause the urine to appear cloudy with flecks of white mucus. As soon as antibiotics are started, the white mucus flecks go away.

I'd just watch for any other signs like crying during urination, frequent accidents/diaper changes, fever, overly sleepy, ect. If its a yeast infection, I'd also watch for redness and itching in the genital area (common symptoms of a yeast infection).

Jessie
(single mommy to Emma, 4 years and Angela, 2 1/2 years)
#7 of 7 Old 10-26-2007, 06:38 PM

My first thought was crystals as well. But, I'm a veterinary technician and my experience with white particles in urine is in cats so take what I say with a grain of salt. Could also be white blood cells but that would be a raging infection and I would think you would see more signs.

Martha

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page