Any other SID parents out there with probable ADHD kids? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-05-2007, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have SID. I am affected negatively by all kinds of things (especially eating sounds of any kind, but there are lots of other stimuli that send me over the edge, like light touching, soft noises, tags, certain foods, smells, whistling, etc). I've learned to cope with most of them, but often, when I'm really tired or already stressed out, the stimuli get past my coping ability and I'll get all hostile, defensive and fight-or-flight.

I also have a 4 year old, who is most likely ADD or ADHD with food dye/HCFS sensitivities - on his good days, he runs nonstop and makes noises/does things that set me off and won't listen to requests to stop or be distracted from his noisemaking until I'm on the verge of losing it. On his bad days he won't listen at all and adds screaming to the constant movement and noisemaking.

It's so bad some days that I just want to go in a closet and hide, and I can't. Sometimes it makes me nonverbal and I just sit and let him whirl around me. I know it's not so bad for others because I've seen him act that way around others without them reacting the way I do. It's just a bad combination of his issues and mine.

I also have a 16 month old who is easy to be around. Except that he's been nocturnal for six months, with brief breaks to a schedule like the rest of the family. So I haven't gotten much sleep between the two of them.

I really dont' knwo what to do beyond what I'm already trying - trying to keep the younger one to a schedule more like the older one, and trying to keep a better rein on my own reactions.

Maura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 11-05-2007, 09:57 AM
Banned

that's us. my oldest is almost 4 and my youngest is almost 2 mos. i thought i was the only one! off to school now but i'll post later. i think being in school is key for me. he goes to daycare and enjoys himself. he likes the place and i schedule a couple breaks in classes. i think it's important that i'm happy to see him when we're together and to do that i need help caring for him. it hasn't hurt our bond. actuiially it's made it better.

NAK
#3 of 9 Old 11-05-2007, 10:26 PM

Question for you. Are you and/or your kids doing any kind of therapy for the SID? Your son's screaming - and running around for that matter - could be more from SID than ADD.
#4 of 9 Old 11-05-2007, 10:42 PM

Just FYI - should have said in my last post - I have some sensory issues and raised two kids with sensory issues, both with ADD. Yeah, there were many years during which I was on the edge a lot! I often thought that a sensory deprivation tank would be a great thing to have!
#5 of 9 Old 11-05-2007, 11:11 PM

I have autism and NVLD and fibromyalgia and fibromyalgia-based cognitive issues and anxiety and dysthemia and loads of sensory issues and presentation similar to ADD. I have a son with a speech delay that the ST believes may be related to a hyperactivity condition. Also an undiagnosed Asperger autistic daughter and a neurotypical but very spirited son. And a baby. And a husband. Fun fun fun at our house, all day long!

Playdates are my friend. Having other kids play with my kids removes some of the pressure on me to be Batman or the turtle or the bad guy or whatever it is someone needs to "be" that day.
#6 of 9 Old 11-05-2007, 11:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I have what I believe is SID, but I have not been diagnosed. I just thought I was weird for a long time, but apparently my weirdness is not in the "normal" range. My ds also has many of my own problems, and some worse. He would be labeled ADHD if he was in public school, but thankfully I homeschool, so it's easier for me to understand where he's coming from.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#7 of 9 Old 11-06-2007, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Maybe we should post a thread in find your tribe...

The suggestion of therapy is a good one, but I just haven't had time to seek it for myself (I get better with excercise, but I have no time for exercise anymore). DS1 is still judged too young for diagnosis - the people who have evaluated him have only considered ADD or ADHD as possible diagnoses, and have only suggested medicating for those when he's "old enough". I don't want to medicate him, especially if it's for something he doesn't actually have. Argh. it's the main reason he's not in preschool this year.

Though I definitely suspect that his acting out might be sensory related, nobody has wanted to listen to me about it, since he was judged too socail to be asperger's spectrum and they would not consider SID outside that. :

We're in a different place now, so I may be able to get a better evaluation for him. And maybe one for me...

Maura
#8 of 9 Old 11-06-2007, 12:48 AM

SID here. Noise is my biggest trigger. Unfortunately my dd has what I believe to be SID as well. And she's loud. When too much noise is coming in, I can't think, I get agitated and teary and its so hard for me to focus. I end up blinking a lot, and closing my eyes trying to will concentration and control my breathing.

I also can't stand tight clothing, especially on my wrists or ankles. Can't wear hats or gloves. And I still don't enjoy taking a shower. Still torture to me. I have to force myself to get in there at least twice a week.

I LOVE backrubs! But I can't stand to be tickled, or to be touched when I didn't ask for it.. even by my husband.

Yes, we're all a bit quirky. (I also have BPD, anxiety and panic disorder with agoraphobia, PTSD, Bipolar 2, hypothyroidism, asthma and fibromyalgia. My dh has Bipolar and ADD.)

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#9 of 9 Old 11-06-2007, 10:13 AM

I have sensory issues but have never been officially diagnosed. My son has PDD-NOS, SID, and probable ADHD/ADD. The pediatrician says it's ADHD but I'll be getting a full re eval by a neuro psych soon.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page