Airport Security and Braces - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-07-2007, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Dad died October 27th and we had to travel to St. Louis for his funeral. We ran into problems with Security and Gabrielle setting off the alarm because of her KAFO brace.

Is there anyway to avoid this like getting some sort of waiver card to show TSA? It was ridiculus. In the SLC airport she set it off and I walked thru behind her. They said catch her (she is 21 months old) and go into this little glass room. Then this other TSA Agent came in and says "Since you touched her I haved to pat down both of you." I said thats silly. Its her brace that set it off. I said can't I just take it off and send it thru x-ray and have us walk thru again? She says "Oh it comes off?" WTF?! Do you think she has a bionic leg and its bolted and and screwed in? I was livid, so I took off the brace and ran it thru x-ray and it was fine.

Well coming back from the funeral at Lambert Field same thing. This time I just let them pat down both of us.

We are going back for Thanksgiving and I would really like to avoid it. I can take the brace off but its a pain in the butt! Not to mention they don't give you much room to get your shoes back on, collect your stuff (laptop, stroller, camera stuff, coats, diaper bag). Not to mention taking care of two kids. Hubby is getting the bags to together too, but it still takes time.

Suggestions?

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#2 of 9 Old 11-07-2007, 12:36 PM

Every airline has a concierge service for people with disabilities. I would call the airlines and ask to speak to someone who helps people with disabilities.
#3 of 9 Old 11-07-2007, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

I am not sure if the airlines can help with security. Thats our only problem. Her shoes are really hard to put on, especially the left one because it has to go over the brace and is tight. Her right foot has an insert in the shoe, but she tends to make her foot limp. Which makes it hard to get into the shoe.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#4 of 9 Old 11-07-2007, 01:53 PM

From what I have been told, they can but you have to contact them and ask them.

It also helps to have a letter from your doctor explaining what they are and that they are medically necessary.
#5 of 9 Old 11-07-2007, 01:56 PM

I do not understand that why after seeing her braces they did not let her walk thru. My right arm has a metal plate in it .I set off the alarm in the US embassy in Russia. They saw my scare and let me go.
Susan
#6 of 9 Old 11-07-2007, 02:15 PM

My underwire in my bra set off the security gate. And even though that's what they said it was, I still had to be pat down by two women (at least they had a private room option.)

Meanwhile, my husband with two backpacks full of electronics breezed right through. :
#7 of 9 Old 02-13-2008, 07:09 PM

We recently flew to CA to visit my grandparents. I wear a brace on my right leg that is attached to my shoe and goes up allmost to my hip. Here in Atlanta they made me step to the side and used the wand thing to scan my leg, it took 2 minutes at most. One the way back in LA they made me go to a room and take off my brace and shoes, they took them away and left me sitting there for at least 15 minutes. I called my husband on the cell phone, he was waiting at the security place with our children 1 and 3, and our bags, I was worried they would never come back. Good thing we were plenty early so no real problem eccept I was a little scared. Dana
#8 of 9 Old 02-13-2008, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

So far SLC is the only place that really hassled us. The TSA agent was a UA violation and just scoweld at us.

#9 of 9 Old 02-13-2008, 11:33 PM

Get a letter from her physician stating what it's for and what it is made out of. When we traveled with dd, we had letters for LOTS of things, including why we carried syringes on board, why we had meds that said "not FDA approved", what her feeding pump was and why she has rods/screws in her neck. We also called ahead to the airline to let them know that we were traveling with a child who has disabilities and medical needs. They were very helpful.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page