Mothering Forum banner

Weighted vests/neck wraps/blankets?

713 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  MindfulBirth 
#1 ·
Just wondering what has your experience been with these? DS is definitely a sensory seeker...loves to head butt, crash into things, jump, shove, etc., and I was wondering if one of these was worth getting or making (I found instructions for a weighted blanket here). Do these really seem to help with issues like he has? I was wondering if something like this for him to wear would help him satisfy his stimulation needs at school too (at school he wanders, climbs things, knocks down other kids' blocks, shoves, crashes)? What do you all think?

#2 ·
We LOVE our weighted blankets for DS! He's a seeker as well, and likes to crash around and bounce off the sides of his crib and the blanket does seem to help him stay calm and settled. We also do the brushing protocol and regular visits to the chiro seem to help A LOT with the proprioceptive feedback as well.

I have never tried a vest or even seen on irl, but its something I look at in the catalogues all the time. My Ds HATES, and I do mean hate going into any where that even slightly resembles a doctors office and tends to get anxious and disorganized. I usually land up holding him in my lap, resting my hands on his shoulders the whole time. I think it would be easier on him with a vest on so I could distract him with some toys.

Hopefully someone else will chime in here.

#3 ·
One of my good friends uses a vest for her son who is sensory seeking. He had great success with it. I will ask her for more information (she just had major back surgery or I would ask her to post herself). She purchased one online but I think she felt one could be made at home for less $$.

My DS is more sensory defensive so we haven't personally used a vest.

#4 ·
a good way to be able to test it out, is find an old sheet or blanket or something, and sew a weighted blanket using rice. I made one using ten lbs of rice (a little overkill on a small blanket for a one year old. lol). I just quickly sewed pockets down the longest seam, put a cup of rice in each, sewed up that row, then put a cup of rice in each, sewed up the row, etc... that way you could at least test it and see if it works before you invest a lot of money into one.

#9 ·
Hiya,

There was a thread a while back about this sort of thing, and I mentioned that my son often wears a weighted vest at preschool. It is just a little fishing vest with lots of pockets with some sort of weights (beans? rice?) inside.You may want to look for some sort of little vest to alter with weights to work for you.

BTW, he often asks for the vest at school and his teacher says that it helps him focus.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.