Has anyone tried the Son-Rise program for Autistic children? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-19-2007, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was wondering kinda a run-down on this, cost, and if you liked it or have heard anything about it. Their website is confusing to me. Thanks!
http://www.autismtreatmentcenter.org...se_program.php
#2 of 8 Old 11-19-2007, 01:24 PM

I do not know. It seems sort of odd to me.

This is from wikipedia

Quote:
Son-Rise is a home-based program for children with autism spectrum disorders other disabilities related to communication and interaction. The program emphasizes eye contact, accepting the child without judgment, and engaging the child in a noncoercive way, and it hypothesizes that treated children will decide to become non-autistic. Former advertising executive Barry Neil Kaufman and his wife Samahria Lyte Kaufman developed Son-Rise in the late 1960s and early 1970s while working with their son Raun, who was diagnosed with autism as a toddler, and who is claimed to have gone from being autistic to normal via the treatment.[1]

No independent study has tested the efficacy of the program, but a 2003 study found that involvement with the program led to more drawbacks than benefits for the involved families over time,[2] and a 2006 study found that the program is not always implemented as it is typically described in the literature, which suggests it will be difficult to evaluate its efficacy.[3]
Quote:
Critics of the Son-Rise program point to the lack of hard statistical results, and dismiss its many anecdotal (yet verifiable) stories of success. Others suggest that Raun was never truly autistic. Others state that the program is too intensive for many parents to see through to success.

Other criticisms focus on Barry Neil Kaufman, and the fact that he chose to make a profession of authoring books about his philosophy, and his founding of a non-profit institute offering classes based upon his life perspectives and experiences.

The most vehement critics state that the Kaufmans offer false hope and that the entire enterprise is simply a money-making operation. However, the recent BBC Documentary titled "I Want My Little Boy Back" showed, in detail, one family's experience with the program, with results that far exceeded the parents' hopes.

The National Autistic Society points out the high cost of the program, as well as the lack of (and resistance to) formal scientific evaluations.[6] The program is also of uncertain use with older children, and may work best with individuals who have a 'certain level of potential'.[7][8] Son-Rise is also very volunteer-intensive with high turnover, and may require parents to fill in staffing gaps.[9][6] In addition, professionals have questioned the emphasis placed on eye contact and its potential aversiveness for some children.[6]
#3 of 8 Old 11-19-2007, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! This doesn't sound good at all.
#4 of 8 Old 11-19-2007, 02:23 PM

Here's their website which might answer some of your questions.

I did Sonrise for about 2 years when I nannied for a family with an autistic child. Like any treatment, it works well for some kids but not all show a lot of progress. At the time that I was a nanny, the family was doing Sonrise full-time, all day for 7 days a week. It's a very time intensive program although you don't have to do it full-time.

Oops! I see you have the same link in your OP!

Gazing furtively at you from under my siggie!
#5 of 8 Old 11-19-2007, 04:21 PM

i do not like his views or the whole cure autims issue, but there are some good parts. i did read his books in the beginning of my autism journey. they seem to take a respectful view of the child, they follow the child's lead, and have good tips on engage positively with your child.

i think it is VERY expensive and probable the money spent could be better used elsewhere.
#6 of 8 Old 11-19-2007, 06:59 PM

I believe the basis of the intervention is respectful and honors the dignity of the child. Son-Rise would be my first choice of interventions if we ever need more support for our family.

Pat

I have a blog.
#7 of 8 Old 11-19-2007, 07:48 PM

I think Son-Rise is Floortime, plain and simple. It's about listening to the needs of the child and letting that guide both of you on a path to togetherness.
#8 of 8 Old 11-20-2007, 01:32 AM

I'd suggest reading Kaufman's books A Miracle to Believe In and Sonrise. This is not floor time. It is a very specific, respectful approach.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page