Yet one more cause for Autism! - Mothering Forums
1 2  3  ... Last
Special Needs Parenting > Yet one more cause for Autism!
HarperRose's Avatar HarperRose 01:46 AM 11-22-2007
DH found this article today: http://www.switched.com/2007/11/21/s...fi-and-autism/

Basically, blaming Wi-Fi hot spots for Autism.

What next?

feebeeglee's Avatar feebeeglee 03:58 AM 11-22-2007
*dons festive tinfoil hat*

Sheesh!
momoftworedheads's Avatar momoftworedheads 04:03 AM 11-22-2007
How Ridiculous? And if you've never been near a router?

What will they think of next?

Take care!
williamsmommy2002's Avatar williamsmommy2002 04:52 AM 11-22-2007
At what point is this going to stop? Why do they keep looking at more crazy stuff when the obvious things are right in front of them and have been pointed out. The real interrsting thing to me is that I see autism as a brain difference. Just like a person with cognitive impairment has a brain difference. So if there can be many causes for cognitive impairment(some known and some not), why can't there be for autism? If there is this much money in autism research, why are we all fighting to get our kids therapy and support? Why can't they throw some of that money our way?
ShaggyDaddy's Avatar ShaggyDaddy 04:52 AM 11-22-2007
if you ignore the genetic link that makes analytical people more likely to have wifi/live in wifi areas and more likely to have autistic kids, it almost makes sense.

It's like saying eating potatoes will turn you irish.
Kodama's Avatar Kodama 05:33 AM 11-22-2007
Tin foil hats for all!

And flaming bags of poo for all too!

Oh wait, next tin foil hats and poo are the real causes!

OH NO! Then we will get everyone to stop pooing!

Then we will find out constipation causes autism!

Crap.

or perhaps autistic characteristics and tendencies are a combination of physical, enviornmental, genetic, metabolic, gastroentrological and other characteristics and there is not one set cause that causes it and can be a manifestation of other things.........but that would take logic and thought. no let's just blame everything from teletubbies to cheerios instead.
wonderwahine's Avatar wonderwahine 05:41 AM 11-22-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodama View Post
or perhaps autistic characteristics and tendencies are a combination of physical, enviornmental, genetic, metabolic, gastroentrological and other characteristics and there is not one set cause that causes it and can be a manifestation of other things.........but that would take logic and thought. no let's just blame everything from teletubbies to cheerios instead.
hey!!!!!! the teletubbies deserve to be criminalized!! *shudders* but ITA there is no one single cause, for anything alot of our kids deal with..unless we are speaking of genetic disorders/anomilies eg downs syndrome, even then, every child is different, just like nt kids.
Kodama's Avatar Kodama 05:56 AM 11-22-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwahine View Post
hey!!!!!! the teletubbies deserve to be criminalized!! *shudders* but ITA there is no one single cause, for anything alot of our kids deal with..unless we are speaking of genetic disorders/anomilies eg downs syndrome, even then, every child is different, just like nt kids.
I am so thankful DD and DS hate the teletubbies and barney.

Unfortunately, Wonder Pets and Dora are quite popular here with DD and DS loves Mickey Mouse and Big Big World.
VanessaS's Avatar VanessaS 10:15 AM 11-22-2007
Quote:
I just had to laugh at that.
MyTwoAs's Avatar MyTwoAs 10:59 AM 11-22-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyDaddy View Post

*also dons her foil hat as she types from a wi-fi connected laptop*
peekyboo's Avatar peekyboo 01:57 PM 11-22-2007
Quote:
if you ignore the genetic link that makes analytical people more likely to have wifi/live in wifi areas and more likely to have autistic kids, it almost makes sense.

OMG - we have wifi in our area - and we eat potatoes too!

We must be Irish Autistics!

Wait...no...we're already Irish, and my dh and the boys are science/computer geeks...

look - straws! Let's all grasp at them blindly!
Jennifer3141's Avatar Jennifer3141 02:45 PM 11-22-2007
Well, thank goodness. They've found the cause and it isn't vaccines!!

I joined a local autism support network and laughed my fanny off at the one mom who does Floortime for hours and hours everyday describing one of her friends who won't shut up about vaccines and the GFCF diet.

She said, I'm on the floor eye to eye with my kid all day long, I barely wipe myself well after I pee because I have three kids - and we're all playing with her all day long on her level and my "friend" wants me to grind my own flour from our yard clippings. Sometimes I like clean underwear!

I know the diet works for some people but I'm getting really sick of people lauding their "cures" for autism. So hooay for wi-fi!
sbgrace's Avatar sbgrace 03:27 PM 11-22-2007
I can't top all the hilarious things being said here. Thanks so much for the laughs--I open these threads expecting to be mad and it's fun to laugh instead! I love this board!
meowee's Avatar meowee 03:33 PM 11-22-2007
Quote:
That was my first thought. DH and I were the first to get wifi on our block. We were the only network then and now there are dozens.
nausicaamom's Avatar nausicaamom 03:55 PM 11-22-2007
I cought a blurb about it on the radio yesterday - sure made my day. Thank G-d my friends and family know how I feel on the subject so I won't get bombarded with this lovely tidbit ad nauseum.
harpertrance's Avatar harpertrance 05:58 PM 11-22-2007
woah... thats.. woah
BellinghamCrunchie's Avatar BellinghamCrunchie 10:34 PM 11-22-2007
Quote:
Did you know potatoes are not native to Ireland? That's why they had potato blight leading to famine. Not that this has anything to do with anything.
MillingNome's Avatar MillingNome 04:28 PM 11-23-2007
Yep- got my tin foil cap.
ShaggyDaddy's Avatar ShaggyDaddy 05:36 PM 11-23-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellinghamCrunchie View Post
Did you know potatoes are not native to Ireland? That's why they had potato blight leading to famine. Not that this has anything to do with anything.
yeah it's crazy to think it took less than 100 years of having potatoes at all in Ireland to make them so dependant on them that 15% of the population died when the potatoes failed, that is really quick.

It's funny to list facts about Irish White Potatoes: Native plant to South America. Also it's strange that the irish climate is actually really bad for growing potatoes, but they are such a useful food that they had to make it work.

The valuable lesson is that you should not rely on one food for 80% of human and livestock's calories. No matter how perfect the food is... SOYBEANS I'm looking at you... Imagine a soybean famine in the modern US. That is all.
kittynurse's Avatar kittynurse 06:12 PM 11-23-2007
Quote:
SOYBEANS I'm looking at you... Imagine a soybean famine in the modern US. That is all.
And this is why I have a total crush on ShaggyDaddy :

Plus, I learned today, prompted by SD's DDDDC that despite my lifelong conviction that the Stray Cats were an obscure Canadian band, they are in fact Long Island natives.

That is all.

Martha
BellinghamCrunchie's Avatar BellinghamCrunchie 06:42 PM 11-23-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittynurse View Post
And this is why I have a total crush on ShaggyDaddy :
Martha
Me, too.

That is all.
ShaggyDaddy's Avatar ShaggyDaddy 07:10 PM 11-23-2007

It is attractive that I play out hundreds of bizarre doomsday scenarios in my brain daily?? Maybe my current novel project (failed nano, but i'm not giving up) will have more appeal than I thought. It's not science fiction if it's plausable right?
BellinghamCrunchie's Avatar BellinghamCrunchie 09:31 PM 11-23-2007
Quote:

It is attractive that I play out hundreds of bizarre doomsday scenarios in my brain daily?? Maybe my current novel project (failed nano, but i'm not giving up) will have more appeal than I thought. It's not science fiction if it's plausable right?
/swoon

So do I. My favorie one is about a virus that only affects republicans. What if you woke up one morning and all the republicans were gone?
HarperRose's Avatar HarperRose 09:42 PM 11-23-2007
Maybe the republicans are the cause of autism...

:

aja-belly's Avatar aja-belly 10:13 PM 11-23-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justthatgirl View Post
Maybe the republicans are the cause of autism...

:

not likely - ds has had very little contact with republicans....although we did just move from texas...it might be in the water there.
kchoffmann's Avatar kchoffmann 10:20 PM 11-23-2007
I love this board.
HarperRose's Avatar HarperRose 10:46 PM 11-23-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja-belly View Post
not likely - ds has had very little contact with republicans....although we did just move from texas...it might be in the water there.
We live in San Antonio -- you may be on to something...
Jennifer Z's Avatar Jennifer Z 06:48 AM 11-24-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justthatgirl View Post
We live in San Antonio -- you may be on to something...
We live in Kansas with relatives in San Antonio. Hmmmm...so, you think it is a legitimate theory? It has as much credibility as all of the other "causes".

The one thing that is interesting about THIS site is that a lot of the "causes" are all modern/mainstream things that a lot of people here don't do. Vaxes...well, what about all the non-vaxers here, food source, both pre and post natal...lots of vegans, vegetarians, and all-organic families, Antibiotics & medications...lots of people who shun modern medicine (at least during the pregnancy/birth/early childhood time). With almost every hysterical thing, you can find a family, or several, or many families that can step up and say "we didn't do that and yet our child is autistic".

In a way, it is sort of ironic that when it comes to autism, the mainstream is full of conspiracy theories, while the NFL/AP families, who tend to be more supportive of conspiracy theories for many other things, will step up and say "we didn't do that, can't be a cause". A rare thing when MDC has more skeptics to a conspiracy theory than proponents.
peekyboo's Avatar peekyboo 01:44 PM 11-24-2007
So does this mean I have to switch parties so that Sean's Asperger's eval comes back normal? Or should I feel guilty that my past record of voting Republican has done him harm? Or is it that he was born in Arkansas, which is close to Texas, that has caused his issues? Maybe it's because he was born south of the Mason-Dixon line!

Wait - I got it. I know what causes autism. Birth! If we all just stop giving birth, we can stop autism!
BellinghamCrunchie's Avatar BellinghamCrunchie 01:54 PM 11-24-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by peekyboo View Post
So does this mean I have to switch parties so that Sean's Asperger's eval comes back normal? Or should I feel guilty that my past record of voting Republican has done him harm? Or is it that he was born in Arkansas, which is close to Texas, that has caused his issues? Maybe it's because he was born south of the Mason-Dixon line!

Wait - I got it. I know what causes autism. Birth! If we all just stop giving birth, we can stop autism!
Did you really vote Republican?

Well, it should be okay, if you've since repented. The virus spares the reformed.
1 2  3  ... Last

Up