Speech problems and fish oil? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 12-10-2007, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello, my son has an expressive speech delay; receptive is fine. I heard somewhere that some kids with apraxia or other speech problems respond to fish oil supplements. Has anyone used this with positive results, and if so, where did you find your research or know what dosage to give?
#2 of 23 Old 12-10-2007, 07:10 PM

I'm interested to hear more about this. My dd was recently diagnosed with apraxia, she also has an expressive speech delay but her receptive is right on target.
#3 of 23 Old 12-10-2007, 07:18 PM

we used various dosages and did not get any real results.

but that is not to say it won't work for your child.

also, read the label and watch out for additives.
#4 of 23 Old 12-10-2007, 09:19 PM

A great place for info on this is a yahoo apraxia group. They discuss this a lot there.

We started my daughter on Nordic Naturals Complete 3-6-9 EFAs in the summer in 2006 when she was 3. We started with 2 pills (we stick them with a knife and put the contents on a spoon for her to take). After about a month of taking them she had a major major leap in her speech (she went from 3 words to thousands in two weeks). I cannot say it was definitely related to the EFAs, but I do believe it had some effect.

On that board you'll find two brands most recommended I believe: NN and Coromega.

Also as for dosages it really varies. We started with 2 pills and have stayed there, but some families on there go up to 2 pills 3x a day I know and add a DHA supplement separately.

Go check out that yahoo group. It is really the best discussion of this subject that I've found.
#5 of 23 Old 12-10-2007, 09:29 PM

also be sure to read up on how fish oil is processed and to make sure there are no additives and that it is free of mercury. some brands are a bit schetchy on the stuff that they allow in there. one brand i got had soy in it. ds is VERY allergic to soy. Thankfully I caught it before he got it.
#6 of 23 Old 12-10-2007, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodama View Post
also be sure to read up on how fish oil is processed and to make sure there are no additives and that it is free of mercury. some brands are a bit schetchy on the stuff that they allow in there. one brand i got had soy in it. ds is VERY allergic to soy. Thankfully I caught it before he got it.

Yes, this is a very important point. AFAIK the NN is a very clean brand so we have gone with that one.

Kodama, I'm glad you caught the soy before your son got it.
#7 of 23 Old 12-11-2007, 12:23 AM

My son (5) is non-verbal, and we've recently started giving him two of the NN Junior omega capsules a day (he doesn't like the chewiness of them, though, so we cut and squeeze them). We're not really focusing on language benefits, though--more on the mood stabilizing benefits. We want to give this a shot before deciding on using the prescription for risperdal. We kept tipping back and forth about how we felt on the risperdal, so we thought we might as well try something more healthy/natural first.

I think we'll give it two months and see how we feel. We just started it about two weeks ago.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#8 of 23 Old 12-11-2007, 01:18 AM

My son has dyspraxia and the EFAs were recommended to him by a neurodevelpmentalist. I have not started them yet - I believe that you start at a higher dose for the first three months and then can lower???? I can't remember. One parent I spoke to said she noticed a difference in her child's behavior overnight. It does something to the neurons in the brain maybe?
#9 of 23 Old 12-11-2007, 02:16 AM

We give Owen 1000 mg of Vital Choice, 500 mg with breakfast, 500 mg with dinner per Dr. Sears for his apraxia. It has helped so much I can hardly believe it. He went from around 20 words with sounds and signs mixed in, to saying so many words I can't even count anymore in just one or two months time. He is talking so much that he has basically replaced all of his sounds and signs, and he picks up at least two new words a day. He tries to say almost every word we say now. His apraxia is still coming out in pronunciation, which we are working on with speech therapy, but his progress is amazing. I have found that it reduced some sensory issues with him, but his anxiety levels seem to be the same, so I am wondering if we should increase his dosage. I am going to check out that yahoo group and see what they have to say there.
#10 of 23 Old 12-11-2007, 09:53 AM

Mark gets a packet (it's like a ketchup packet thingie) of Coromega every morning. It has no artificial anything to it, and it's yummy tasting. He eats it off a spoon, or you can blend it into a smoothie drink, yogurt, etc. I did see a noticable language increase about 2 weeks after he started taking it regularly, primarily lots of new vocabular and better organization of his expressive language. He has 'disordered' language, a receptive delay and he uses his language oddly - he doesn't ask questions, etc. He has no physical speech problems. I think it has also helpd a tiny bit with sensory issues, but that's hard to pin down b/c we do so much OT and sensory play all day long that it might not be attributable to the fish oil.
#11 of 23 Old 12-12-2007, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies--I will definitely be checking into this further. Thanks!
#12 of 23 Old 12-23-2007, 06:29 PM

We started using fish oil and within a week started seeing improvements. Not sure if it was coincidence or not- but he's now starting to write his name, showing interest in the potty, has more eye contact, and is using more words. Still not on par w/'typical' behavior, but he's come very far.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#13 of 23 Old 12-23-2007, 11:57 PM

This thread led me to start giving D EFAs, and boy has there been improvements WRT his speech. Thank you so much.
#14 of 23 Old 05-13-2008, 06:21 PM

Caution with all that supplements. I just read that it may harm the immune system. Do you think it is possible ?
#15 of 23 Old 05-13-2008, 06:52 PM

What a strange first post. I wouldn't take info from a fitness message board, and use it as a link.
#16 of 23 Old 05-15-2008, 10:36 AM

We've had positive results with fish oils...My daughter made gains in language not long after introduction...Now we're not so strict with the oils but she continues along with progress which makes me wonder if positive long term and sustained neurological gains are made as well from the oils...

We use Nature's Way EFA Blend for Children which has Fish Oil (Sardine and Anchovy) which gives 120 mg DHA and 174 EPA. I think this is important as Sardines and Anchovies are not "big" predatory fish if one is concerned about mercury, etc...It also has 25 mg Gamma Linolenic Acid via Evening Primrose...I heard GLAs are just as important - but I can't remember why at the moment...Maybe I need to take some too

She rarely exceeded 2 capsules a day in her yogurt...Recommended is actually 4 capsules a day in for first 12 weeks with a tapering down...But we've seen results with just the two...

Good luck - Angela
#17 of 23 Old 05-15-2008, 12:12 PM

Several pp's mentioned 'tapering down' with the CLO. Why? I've been giving my son four NN Children's CLO daily since December 22nd. (Not for speech but it seems to be improving/eliminating his pain in his legs and feet. I stopped for a month and the pain worsened.) Should I be tapering down? Is there a concern with too much CLO? The dosage on the bottle suggests four capsules/day.
Thanks
#18 of 23 Old 05-15-2008, 12:40 PM

We use Coromega fish oil supplements. It's not a capsule, but rather a pudding-like consistency you squeeze out of a tiny package for each dosage. It has made huge difference for my autistic son's speech development, and overall for my 7 year old as well. You can get this particular brand at GNC stores.
#19 of 23 Old 05-15-2008, 12:58 PM

#20 of 23 Old 05-15-2008, 01:42 PM

You know, I just have to comment that I am amazed that people/scientists/random can figure out that something like fish oils can help with speech development is ASD kids.

Science is truly awesome, in the original sense of the word!
#21 of 23 Old 05-15-2008, 02:29 PM

My mom has commented that her generation got cod liver oil by the tablespoon every morning - she remembers standing in a line in her kitchen and having Grammy dole it out on to all 4 of them every day before school - especially in the winter months. The idea was to boost immunity.
#22 of 23 Old 05-15-2008, 04:05 PM

Funny!

I am in my 30's and my mother forced me to take Cod Liver Oil pills every morning until I was 5 or 6. I HAAAAAAAAATED it...

Silly me, I didn't even make the connection with COD and FISH...in my mind, this blocked memory, was always COD-LIVER-OIL-PILLS in one word from my 4 year old mind. Never stopped to think about it, since I hated those things so much!
#23 of 23 Old 05-15-2008, 07:49 PM

They didn't do crap-all for dd2 (apraxia).

DD1 = 8 yrs *** DD2 = 6 yrs

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page