Only in an SN parent's world - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2007, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter
 
Kodama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: in my snuggly house
Posts: 823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Let's make a new list. Remember the UA and let's have some fun!

Are you on a first name basis with the super hot parking guy at the children's hospital and he calls you "my pretty".

You think of medication doses in Ml's and blink when something is ordered in teaspoons.

You know which pharmacy does compounding and which one gives the flavors for free.

You know which doctors are the good ones

Family comes to YOU for medical advice

You start to ponder if Dora the Explorer has a shunt, g-tube, hearing loss, or other special needs
Kodama is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-10-2007, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter
 
Kodama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: in my snuggly house
Posts: 823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You haven't showered in days

You forgot what sleep is

You cheer when your child does not puke after eating

You broke your steam cleaner

Your child has an obcession with paper towels and stuffing them behind the fireplace screen. When you see that she did it, you keep on with your day and just don't ask.

"I don't want to know" comes to mind often.
Kodama is offline  
Old 12-10-2007, 10:55 PM
 
Finch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NC!
Posts: 9,186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
-You can pick out a child with your child's diagnosis at 50 feet away, especially if it's on a playground.
-You bristle whenever you hear people talk about your child's diagnosis as a "tragedy."
-You laugh snarkily to yourself in your head when your friends/family complain about their typically developing children doing something you would beg, cheat, and steal for your sn child to do.
-You know where to get size 7 diapers the cheapest.
-Your diaper bag doubles as a swiss army knife, you make the boy scouts look unprepared and lazy with your stellar preparedness/ready for anything bag.
-Your vocabulary is increasingly more populated with acronyms and abbreviations: ST, OT, AU, EI, GFCF.....pqrst....
Finch is offline  
Old 12-10-2007, 10:59 PM
 
BettysMommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Universe "A"
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodama View Post
Your child has an obcession with paper towels and stuffing them behind the fireplace screen. When you see that she did it, you keep on with your day and just don't ask.

"I don't want to know" comes to mind often.
DD1 had a similar obsession with paper (hers involved shredding it, everywhere), and I remember often discovering some shredded paper hidden somewhere I was previously unaware of and just thinking, "I don't want to know."

I'll have to think on this so I can add a few of my own.
BettysMommy is offline  
Old 12-11-2007, 12:16 AM
 
peekyboo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: crocheting a new tinfoil hat
Posts: 1,971
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You can spot AFO's a mile away on someone else's kid...and then notice their parent checking out the ones your child's wearing.

You're on a first name basis with the girl at the eye doctor's who orders the new frames (seriously, would it kill designers to make cute kidproof ones???)

You have a stack of cards in your wallet an inch thick, all of doctors, therapists and specialists for your child.

You say things like "Don't lick the cat" and "Stop eating the hamster's food" and not realize it's not normal until it's pointed out to you.

Your family is considered job security to all the specials in the school district...who you're on a first name basis with.

When shopping for kids clothes, you don't just look at how cute it is, but if it's 100% cotton, have tags, can be pulled on easily, is hard to take off, can fit over AFO's and feeding tubes, matches your child's "accessories" (aka AFO's, glasses, tubes, backpacks, mobility devices)

You see a bigger kid in a stroller and don't think "Man, what lazy parents" but "Gee, wonder which condition that child has...." and then smile nicely at the parent and say "Cool stroller!"
peekyboo is offline  
Old 12-11-2007, 12:25 AM
 
MindfulBirth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: IBCLC
Posts: 1,317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You have an alarm set on your cell phone to remind you to give the afternoon medicine and another alarm on your watch just in case you didn't hear the first alarm.

You wonder if you can get the neuro to let the VEEG go on for just one more day since being in the hospital is more restful than being at home.

You know all prescription numbers, the pharmacy phone number, the specialists office, answering service and cell numbers, the school nurse's number, and can rattle off your child's health insurance ID number..but can't remember your own phone number when someone asks.

You realize you have sent more emails to the neurologist over the past year than you have your own mother.

You know the "good vein", and what color vials they will need for the blood draw.

The EMS guys ask YOU what to do.

You carry copies of your child's medical history in your purse just in case you have to go to the ER and run into an ER doc you haven't met yet.
MindfulBirth is offline  
Old 12-11-2007, 12:39 AM
 
Summertime Mommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,625
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You get excited when your dd gets new pink AFOs instead of boring, clear ones.

You buy 24 month size jeans for your 4 yr old and call them capris, because she is too skinny for anything else.
Summertime Mommy is offline  
Old 12-11-2007, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter
 
Kodama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: in my snuggly house
Posts: 823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summertime Mommy View Post

You buy 24 month size jeans for your 4 yr old and call them capris, because she is too skinny for anything else.
OMG! ME TOO!

DD was in 6 to 9 month pants as capris this past summer!
Kodama is offline  
Old 12-11-2007, 12:52 AM
 
annarbor931's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Metro Atlanta
Posts: 654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You get so excited when your 3 year old sleeps 5 hours in a row at night, because he has only slept through the night twice in his life.

You are excited when his asthma meds move from Tier 3 to Tier 2 and you save $10 a month on one of his 5 medications.

You are elated that your child now knows his own name and can actually tell you his name rather than just "boy".

You are happy when he gets off the bus from school by himself, and you don't have to drag him into the house kicking and screaming.

You let out a sigh of relief when you can complete one outing without a tantrum.

You are even more elated when he misses only a day a week of school, and he is only sick a few times a month.

There are so many more. This is so nice to read.
annarbor931 is offline  
Old 12-11-2007, 12:56 AM
 
loriforeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodama View Post
OMG! ME TOO!

DD was in 6 to 9 month pants as capris this past summer!
us three!

your four-year-old's medical file is over two inches thick.

you're so fluent with your medical nomenclature that the dentist asks when you graduated from med school.

you spy out every source of liquid refreshment in sight to make certain your kiddo doesn't get any non-thickened ideas.

instead of telling time with weeks and months, you mark its passage by doctor's appointments.
loriforeman is offline  
Old 12-11-2007, 01:04 AM
 
chann96's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: West Vrginia
Posts: 1,177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well Charlotte's daily stuff isn't as intensive as others, but a few I can think of:

You talk casually of cathing with your daughter in public forgetting that other people have no idea what you are talking about.

You get excited when the OT says the daughter was able to listen to the video with the cows on it without reacting at all letting alone having a complete meltdown.

You wonder what the schedule will be like for changing diapers on a baby with normal bladder function.

You look for latex balloons everywhere you go and ponder how much you really want/need to go into the store that is decorated with them.

You go to the Christmas parade with earmuffs, a hat, a hooded coat, and a blanket to hold over the ears along with your hands and wonder if that will be enough to avoid a meltdown over the fire truck sirens in the parade. (It was. Barely.)

And definitely the acronym thing as mentioned above: SLP, L5-S1, OT, ST, SPD/SID, EFAs alphabet soup
chann96 is offline  
Old 12-11-2007, 01:25 AM
 
Kristine233's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Way Northern MN
Posts: 3,973
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You think to yourself, hey, maybe I should just sit in the car... who needs to actually go home? Whats that? I'm referring to the constant trips to school, Drs etc... and how many MORE trips it takes with a SN child because even shopping trips need to be done 2x... once to get the main stuff, the 2nd to get everything you forgot to get while telling your SN child not to lay on the floor, don't lick the shelves, we're not throwing stuff over the aisles....

In the closet behind the winter jackets looks like a divine place to sack out for a couple hours... if only the kids couldn't find you...

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
Kristine233 is offline  
Old 12-11-2007, 01:31 AM
 
MotherWhimsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
residents come into your hospital room to ask what certain words mean so they don't have to admit to their attending they don't know what in the heck a plain old mom is talking about.

you know what every floor in your hospital is for and regularly help lost people find the appropriate office.

when you're inpatient you are greeted by your nurses saying "wait, weren't you in the other pod? you went home? when did you do that?"

you sit on the playground and subconciously watch all the kids for bad neurological signs, muscle weakness, or any other "abnormal" behavior.

you pick up babies funny to avoid pulling their tube... even if they don't have one.

you're ready to jump up and preform the heimlich on any kid that coughs, gags, or makes any unexplainable mouth noise.

you pull over on the side of the interstate so often that you're shocked there's no orange sticker on your car even though you're in it.
MotherWhimsey is offline  
Old 12-11-2007, 01:33 AM
 
irangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ml's? I've got the mg and meq down pat for our meds. Haha.

You start receiving the staff discount at the hospital cafeteria because you eat there so frequently.

You celebrate when you make it 1mos without a hospital admission.

Upon walking into the ER the nurses begin spreading the word that you're back.
irangel is offline  
Old 12-11-2007, 01:47 AM
 
my3peanuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northwest MN
Posts: 2,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You call the insurance co. and the woman says, "Ok, talk to you later, oh I mean thank you for calling, sorry it's like you're a family friend!" because you call so much!

Nicole, mom of 3. Mitochondrial Disease.: Epilepsy
my3peanuts is offline  
Old 12-11-2007, 01:52 AM
 
my3peanuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northwest MN
Posts: 2,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherWhimsey View Post

you sit on the playground and subconciously watch all the kids for bad neurological signs, muscle weakness, or any other "abnormal" behavior.

I totally do this!!

In fact, we got a puppy a few weeks ago and it made this weird twitch and I thought, "OMG it had a seizure!" LOL Then, the next day it was panting kind of loudly and I kept thinking it seemed more tired than normal.

I told dh I was going crazy because not only am I overly anxious about other kids sometimes now I think my dog has special needs!

Nicole, mom of 3. Mitochondrial Disease.: Epilepsy
my3peanuts is offline  
Old 12-11-2007, 01:55 AM
 
joesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Wherever Joe is!
Posts: 3,157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have one- although I don't have a SN child, I am VERY close to my friend's ten year old daughter who has autism & developmental delays.

"You shake your nephew's sippy cup to mix the Thick It, then remember that he doesn't USE thick it. Or a sippy cup."

My son has grown up around my friend's daughter & although she is ten & still in pullups, nonverbal, about the level of a three year old, Joe doesn't see her as different. He has said to me before, I am glad Hannah is not handicapped, that would be sad. (Because she uses a wheelchair for outings, because she is too big for a stroller, but she doesn't NEED the wheelchair, as in she is not paralyzed...) I thought that was sweet.

Anyway, I am enjoying this thread!
joesmom is offline  
Old 12-11-2007, 02:01 AM
 
bri276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 5,848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
You know the "good vein", and what color vials they will need for the blood draw.
and on that note, you "boss" nurses and even doctors around, ie "Nope, we've got to hold her this way or she'll freak out" "It's better if you put the O2 sensor on the toe, her fingers don't fit well" etc

Quote:
you sit on the playground and subconciously watch all the kids for bad neurological signs, muscle weakness, or any other "abnormal" behavior.
and secretly leer at the 12 month olds who are swinging from the monkey bars and doing backflips down the slides!


You laugh on the inside when you listen to your pediatrician's advice re: issues that are really medical specialties (and cry a little, too)

You're not worried about turning the carseat forward facing anytime soon because your kid is nowhere near the limits for height or weight!

Kids years younger than yours (and sometimes their rather irritating parents) refer to your toddler/child as a "baby"

After being asked how old your child is, you wait for the inevitable look of "Ohhh...." as that person realizes your child isn't quite on track developmentally...

You secretly enjoy their discomfort sometimes

You can spend 14 hrs discussing basically anything when you meet another special needs mother, even if their child's issues have practically nothing to do with yours, because we all have SOME common ground.


DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
bri276 is offline  
Old 12-11-2007, 02:39 AM
 
feebeeglee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,689
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You smile at typical parents' idea of "childproofing."

You decide fictional characters have conditions similar to your child. "Remy from Ratatouille is so on the spectrum. He's not into the social aspect of his rat colony at all, he has extreme sensory sensitivities, he perseverates on gourmet food and cooking and he has vivid mental 'conversations' with Auguste Gusteau, the chef he is obsessed with."

Your other kids don't think that your life is that strange at all, if you're lucky
feebeeglee is offline  
Old 12-11-2007, 02:51 AM
 
Kitsune6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,729
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You get your yearly small xmas gifts ready. One for your DD's kindergarten teacher and one each for your DS's OT, PT, 2 ST's, PreK teacher and her 3 aides.

Your DS takes off his poopy diaper and ends up smearing it all over but you are elated because you find a poopy wipe which means he was trying to clean himself (woo hoo!!)
Kitsune6 is offline  
Old 12-11-2007, 03:28 AM
 
ksera05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: TN
Posts: 1,808
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peekyboo View Post
You say things like "Don't lick the cat" ...
I thought I was the only one!!

-sarah-
mom to three, 4 and under.
ksera05 is offline  
Old 12-11-2007, 04:23 AM
 
Roche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Oz
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summertime Mommy
You buy 24 month size jeans for your 4 yr old and call them capris, because she is too skinny for anything else.
My Dh put my 4mth old’s jeans on the 3 yo....Because he thought they were the 3yolds shorts. And they fitted. Admittedly the baby is a bit of a chunka...but still!
Roche is offline  
Old 12-11-2007, 04:41 AM
 
williamsmommy2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: the microwaves did it
Posts: 1,933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roche View Post

- When you haven’t vacuumed for months because you just can’t take the panic-stricken screaming when you do.
My three year old won't even let us buy a new vacuum cleaner.

When "No William, we don't lick" is a regular saying. Even more than that when the cashier tells you "He's licking that" and you don't stop him because the screaming is much more scary than any germ wanted to be.

Misty, mama to my nurslings William(11/4/02) and Parker(7/13/04).
williamsmommy2002 is offline  
Old 12-11-2007, 05:57 AM
 
harpertrance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
you have rows and rows of toys set up in different parts of your house (and you know better than to try and touch them)

you can name all the dinosaurs along with your child

when you go to the ER and get sent home, and then go back the next day, the nurses tell you "We knew you would be back" (because we were sent home, when we should have been admitted)

you dread winter because of the sicknesses

You say things like, "don't bite/lick the cat"

You can function on 3 hours sleep a night

dehydration is a reason for admission to the hospital

you have been kicked, hit, scratched and yelled at, and its "normal"

Your three year old wears 18 month pants

You wonder what on earth moms of normal kids have to do all day

You MUST keep your childs preferred foods in stock - or else

You don't follow the bed at 10 up at 8 schedule. You dont even know what a schedule is

You know your medical term.

You read the pamphlets for the drugs that get perscribed to your child, over a few times for fun

You know when it's time to just get up and walk away (and wish others did too)

Showers? What's that? Not to mention there is a razor that has never been touched in your bathroom, because you don't have time to shave

Pedi/hospital/pharmacy are all on speed dial, and you are on a first name basis with all of them

There are books scattered all over the house

You don't go out to eat
harpertrance is offline  
Old 12-11-2007, 11:32 AM
 
Jenifer76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: In a mitten
Posts: 2,368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by feebeeglee View Post
You decide fictional characters have conditions similar to your child. "Remy from Ratatouille is so on the spectrum. He's not into the social aspect of his rat colony at all, he has extreme sensory sensitivities, he perseverates on gourmet food and cooking and he has vivid mental 'conversations' with Auguste Gusteau, the chef he is obsessed with."
laughup

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
Jenifer76 is offline  
Old 12-11-2007, 12:42 PM
 
DaughterOfKali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New England
Posts: 12,203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by momwifenurse View Post

you dread winter because of the sicknesses
Yep. Going through it right now. I was up all night watching ds carefully because he had quite the fever and croup. Did the whole bathroom steam thing, etc. Reinjured my wrist from picking ds up and carrying him.
When ds gets sick, he REALLY gets sick. There's no such thing as a simple cold with him. Or a slight tummy ache. Nope, everything is to the extreme.


When you brace yourself for the comments from the preschool due to the many days absence.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

DaughterOfKali is offline  
Old 12-11-2007, 01:01 PM
crl
 
crl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by my3peanuts View Post
I told dh I was going crazy because not only am I overly anxious about other kids sometimes now I think my dog has special needs!
We just returned a dog to a rescue group and I told DH that I had a special needs kid, i hadn't signed up for a special needs dog too. (Short version: I told the group I needed a housebroken dog, they suggested this dog, the dog was not housebroken and after 6 weeks of trying I gave up.) I finally taught her to walk somewhat properly on the leash, then it snowed. Guess what? She doesn't generalize well so we had to start all over again on the leash training.
crl is offline  
Old 12-11-2007, 01:06 PM
 
bklynmom04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
you have no trouble cleaning poop. off the floors. off the walls. off the bed.

you know what proprioceptive and vestibular means.

you don't go into a restaurant with your child without checking to see if it has the one item he'll eat. and you might even want to take a look at it to make sure it'll be acceptable to him.
bklynmom04 is offline  
Old 12-11-2007, 01:37 PM
 
annarbor931's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Metro Atlanta
Posts: 654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Your child brings you asthma meds when you cough and tells you the doctor will help you, when you feel sick.

Your son calls your stethescope (that you have for nursing school) your "doctor".

Your child actually likes going to the doctor and is a regular during the cold season.

You let your child watch the same video over and over, because no other video will do.
annarbor931 is offline  
Old 12-11-2007, 01:40 PM
 
Jenifer76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: In a mitten
Posts: 2,368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
you sit on the playground and subconsciously watch all the kids for bad neurological signs, muscle weakness, or any other "abnormal" behavior.
:

You need your insurance company's number on speed dial so that you can call them for the millionth time to fight whatever they have decided to deny coverage on this week.

You inform everyone that despite what they think pepperoni pizza does NOT have cheese on it and if they tell your DS otherwise, bodily harm will be done to them. And yes, we do remove the pepperoni.

All restaurants must have chicken nuggets on the menu.

And ketchup is a food group all its own.

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
Jenifer76 is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off