Connor had a seizure??? Maybe?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-20-2007, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need help from you smart mamas...

Connor's sick, has had a cold for almost 2 weeks (that was getting better) and has been vomiting now since Tuesday night. I'm watching him closely for dehydration, he's still wetting an occassional diaper, so we're okay there.

This morning at about 6am I heard him start to vomit again, my husband quickly rolled him over so he wouldn't choke on it. When he was done vomiting, we laid him back on the bed to start cleaning up. Connor arched his neck back behind him at this funky angle and stayed there. I thought it looked odd so I called his name...nothing. I reached over and tapped his foot...nothing. Right when it started to worry me and I turned on a light, he turned his head back to me and stared blankly, then he suddenly seemed fine. It probably lasted about 30 seconds. Long enough for me to notice it wasn't normal behavior, try to arouse him, and turn on a light.

He's usually listless and lethargic for a few minutes after vomiting, but this wasn't the same.

Could it have been a seizure?? I'm not very well read on seizures...

Now he seems perfectly fine. We changed him, I nursed him, he went back to sleep. I don't know what to think. THe dr wanted me to call today to give him an update on the vomiting...should I mention this? I don't want to cause any needless tests or concern if it's nothing...

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
#2 of 8 Old 12-20-2007, 09:23 AM

i would absolutely say something!!!
#3 of 8 Old 12-20-2007, 11:37 AM

I would tell the doc. It may be dismissed as a febrile seizure, but all other things considered, you will want to have that on his medical history.
#4 of 8 Old 12-20-2007, 01:31 PM

Something similar happened to ds in front of his therapist, and she suspected a seizure. It turns out it wasn't, but my view is, it's better to be safe . . . I would definitely mention it, even if it turns out not to be.
#5 of 8 Old 12-20-2007, 07:49 PM

Dd did the exact thing your describing a couple of years ago -- right after vomiting, as well. She had spiked a sudden fever, and it was determined to be a febrile seizure. It was scary, and she was not able to respond for probably a minute or longer.

I would absolutely mention it to the doc.
#6 of 8 Old 12-20-2007, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Well, he had no fever when it happend (or before or after) So I don't think it was a febrile seizure. I'm not even 100% sure that it was abnormal behavior...by the time I thought something was wrong and turned on a light, it had passed.

I did call the dr...left a message with the nurse. 3 hours later I got a call back that the dr wanted him seen RIGHT AWAY, and said that we should have gone to the ER as soon as it happened.

I called my husband (who stays home with the boys when I'm at work) and he said that Connor was sleeping, and that he was acting perfectly normal, and he didn't think we needed to take him in. I had my husband call the nurse back (so I wasn't playing middle man) and they decided to let Connor rest but that we would take him to Children's right away if anything else seemed "off".

I got home, he's acting fine. He did vomit one more time, but he's pooping and peeing, so I think he's getting over the stomach bug.

I don't know what to think...I am going to call the National Vaccine Information Center to report this as happening just after receiving the Synagis (RSV) shot. I've looked it up, vomiting and/or seizures are not listed as side effects (it's an immunoglobulin, not a true vaccine) Otherwise...I guess just watch him closely for a while.

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
#7 of 8 Old 12-21-2007, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Well, now Ian is puking, so I no longer think Connor was having a vaccine reaction. I was getting worried, though, because it's Friday and he's STILL puking (he started Tuesday night, RSV shot was Monday morning)

I know it sounds weird, but I'm actually relieved that Ian is sick now!

As to whether Connor actually had a seizure or not, I don't know. We'll probably never know unless he has another one.

#8 of 8 Old 12-21-2007, 10:48 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page