Night diapers for a 4 year old? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 12-29-2007, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have any ideas for a night diaper for a 4 year old that doesn't leak? Both of my boys are actually in diapers at night. I guess their bladders are so big that they are saturating their diapers and waking at 4 am soaked. Needless to say, it isn't making any of us too happy!

We used to use cloth then switched to disposable a year ago. I would like to stick with sposies. We are using Huggies size 6.

Any ideas?

Mods: I posted this here because my kiddo has special needs. And I figure more parents with special needs kiddos will have 4 year olds in diapers. Hope that made sense!
#2 of 28 Old 12-29-2007, 03:39 PM

We use luvs size 6 and I have never had a problem, I use them for my 42lb 3 year old. My Mother uses Goodnights for her 7 year old and they work for her.

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

#3 of 28 Old 12-29-2007, 03:41 PM

Have you tried Goodnites? My 8 y.o. uses them and while we've had an occassional leak, they are few and far between. I'm can't remember what poundage they start at though (we're currently sitting right at 50 lbs) I know one of my friends used the Huggies nighttime diapers for her heavy night wetters and found them effective.
#4 of 28 Old 12-29-2007, 03:50 PM

Goodnites (and only that name brand) work great for us!

In love with Dh since 1998. We created Ds (7.1.03), Dd (10.16.06) and Dd (3.16.09).
#5 of 28 Old 12-29-2007, 03:53 PM

What I did with my son at that age was to use a Pullup with a cloth prefold trifolded inside it. That managed to stem the tide.
#6 of 28 Old 12-29-2007, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!
It looks like goodnights start at 38 pounds and my boys are around 34 and 35. I wonder if they will work anyway. I will give it a try. I have never tried any of the overnight Huggies either so I will try that too!
#7 of 28 Old 12-29-2007, 04:06 PM

We use goodnites, too.
They hold up even when ds has drunk an entire bathtub full of water.

We started using them when my ds's were much smaller than their weight suggestions. In fact, ds2 only weighs 36lbs right now, and he's been using them for a year. They look a little big, but they're still pretty comfortable, and, more importantly, they hold up!

Homeschooling mom of 2 rambunctious, loving, spectacular boys, wife to an incredible man who has been my best friend on this journey <3

#8 of 28 Old 12-29-2007, 04:08 PM

I have to agree that Huggies Overnight are IT as far as disposable diapers go. My 35 lb 2 1/2 year old can't soak through one no matter how hard he tries (12 hours). I've also heard that putting a disposable menstrual pad (which is similar to disposable diaper doublers) in the diaper can really increase absorbancy. And finally, you could try using a fleece cover over their diaper at night so that if it did leak or soak through, the cover would contain the wetness. I think Stacinator would make a basic cover large enough for their size.

Good luck - night time diapering is always a challenge!
#9 of 28 Old 12-29-2007, 04:36 PM

i use huggies overnights on ds, they hold an AMAZING amount of pee!
#10 of 28 Old 12-29-2007, 07:02 PM

The Goodnights seem to run smaller than you'd think. Don't get the boxer short ones, those leaked on us. But the regular ones work just fine on my 37 and 41 lb girls.
#11 of 28 Old 12-29-2007, 07:37 PM

My ds wore the Goodnites, but if those are too large, I'd try the Huggies overnights. I use them for my baby -- he's only 7 mos., but we never had a leak and when I ran out and used a regular Huggies, the difference was immediately clear.
#12 of 28 Old 12-29-2007, 07:43 PM

We use the GoodNites for dd. They do leak for us, though, but I think it's because she gets an overnight feed of 700cc of water! She calls them her "cuddle pants" because she HATES the thought of being in diapers, and she doesn't need anything during the day.
#13 of 28 Old 12-29-2007, 07:48 PM

We use pampers size 7 for nighttime, even though ds wears a size 6 during the day. We had leaks every night until we switched. The huggies overnights are awesome, I agree, but they don't go to a size 7, and the goodnights are still too big for my wasp-waisted little boy.

We got the best deal on them at amazon.com.

Link.
#14 of 28 Old 12-29-2007, 07:58 PM

#15 of 28 Old 12-29-2007, 11:55 PM

I have used goodnites or other pull up products but put two on at a time, one over top of the other. A bit bulky but it works! The other thing that can work is to put a pair of cotton trainer pants over top of one pullup to hold them snug in place so that it doesn't leak.
#16 of 28 Old 12-29-2007, 11:57 PM

We use Goodnites here too. Caleb is 36 pounds and drinks a ton before bed...still never a leak.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#17 of 28 Old 12-30-2007, 01:22 AM

Goodnites are great. I do change DS just before he goes to sleep, if he has been in his PJ's and has had anything more than a few ounces to drink before bed. He started in them at about 35 lbs and he is 50 lbs now.
#18 of 28 Old 12-30-2007, 02:17 AM

[QUOTE=Finch;10126034]We use pampers size 7 for nighttimeQUOTE]

There are size 7 Pampers available?!?!?!?! For the love of diapers (and clean sheets) how on earth did I not know this. I so have to go hit the Pampers website and find a retailer up here. I have been shoving his old cloth doublers/inserts into his disposables out of desperation for months now.
#19 of 28 Old 12-30-2007, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strathconamama View Post

There are size 7 Pampers available?!?!?!?! For the love of diapers (and clean sheets) how on earth did I not know this. I so have to go hit the Pampers website and find a retailer up here. I have been shoving his old cloth doublers/inserts into his disposables out of desperation for months now.
Yes ma'am. You can buy them at Target here in the states, but I dunno about Canada. Do y'all have Target in CA? Yes, I'm ignorant.

We also have 2 sheet protectors with long 'wings' of fabric sewn on either side (by me) so the 'wings' can be tucked under the mattress and hold the sheet protector in place. That way, if there's a leak, you're not changing the whole damn bed at 3 am, just the sheet protector.

#20 of 28 Old 12-30-2007, 11:12 AM

I also agree about the goodnights. My dd is 8 and has no bladder control, so for her they are not enough. If I dont change her every hour or two she wets completely through, but of all the disposable stuff available they work the best. We use cloth with better success and have used cloth for about two years, but I know you want disposables

I would also try adding a menstrual pad for heavy flow (with wings so nothing sticks to them) for added absorbancy. They use those alot at my dd's school for community trips when they may not get to change the kids right away because they are out.

Proud mom of three!  Special needs teen princess wheelchair.gif , 7 year old happy girl modifiedartist.gif , and my flower toddlerhearts.gif

#21 of 28 Old 12-30-2007, 01:40 PM

[QUOTE=strathconamama;10129473]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch View Post
We use pampers size 7 for nighttimeQUOTE]

walgreens.com and amazon.com carry them if you cant find anyone locally.

http://www.amazon.com/Pampers-Cruise.../dp/B000P9S82I
#22 of 28 Old 12-30-2007, 09:27 PM

We have just started using goodnights for William. He just hit 40lbs in the last month or so. Before then we used Huggies overnights. He prefers using goodnights now because he would rather use pullups. I was going to try size 7 pampers for the rest of the time but he only goes through about 3 diapers a day now so I would rather only deal with one kind.

Misty, mama to my nurslings William(11/4/02) and Parker(7/13/04).
#23 of 28 Old 12-31-2007, 12:00 AM

We never had problems with leaking with Pampers pull ups. I'd been told they were the only ones which didn't leak with night time use. We never had a leak. Ds used them until about age 5.

Pat

I have a blog.
#24 of 28 Old 01-01-2008, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch View Post
Yes ma'am. You can buy them at Target here in the states, but I dunno about Canada. Do y'all have Target in CA? Yes, I'm ignorant.
Nope no Target...but I made my first trip to Walmart in eons today and found some We'll see in the morning how it goes ((crossing fingers))
#25 of 28 Old 01-01-2008, 11:21 AM

Per a quick search on the internet, I found that the most common source of inability to control the bladder to be related to allergies. Evidently, 50% of children who eliminated cow dairy became more toileting abled. The other most allergenic foods were chocolate, eggs, citrus fruits, and wheat. I saw that bed wetting (enuresis) is highly hereditary. If both parents had issues, than 77% of their children have issues with inability to control the bladder. If only one parent, than 44% of children had issues.

Ds at 6.5 still has occasional accidents when he consumes a lot of dairy or wheat. Avoiding liquids after 6pm appears to help.

HTH, Pat

I have a blog.
#26 of 28 Old 01-01-2008, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Oh yeah Pat, I believe that! I had a friend with a 5 year old son who was having accidents at night. Like lots of accidents and would wake up with a completely soaked diaper if he wore one. They took dairy and wheat out of his diet and he was completely dry.

Thanks everyone. I tried the Huggies overnights and no leaks for the past 3 nights, yay!
#27 of 28 Old 01-02-2008, 01:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
we use huggies overnights, and depending on how much she didn't pee during the day, depends if we put an insert in it also.. they work awesome and do hold an incredable amount of pee!!

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

#28 of 28 Old 01-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Banned

Have you tried Pull-Ups? These will hold more in them than the Huggies diapers, and they are just as easy to change. My girls wear pull-ups to bed everynight and the sheets are still dry in the morning, so they hold quite a bit. We don't use the actual Huggies Pull-Ups, we use some that are called Kendall Run Arounds that we get from our insurance. The only difference is they have a different picture on the front of them (the ones we've got have Clifford, Bear in the Big Blue House, and Dragon Tales on the front and back).

If this doesn't work, and they are still too small for Goodnites pants, I'd use thouse Youth Diapers that are sold in medical supply shops. Prevail, Tranquility, Tena, and Attends all make youth sized diapers.

Jessie
(single mommy to Emma, 4 years: and Angela, 2 1/2 years
::::: slinggirl:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page