newborn that sleeps a whole lot and doesn't cry much at all... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-01-2008, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i *know* i should be grateful but all i can do is worry that something's wrong. at 12 days old, he's gaining weight fine, nursing fine -- but he really does sleep a whole lot -- sometimes for 5 hr increments). and when he's awake, he only cries when he's hungry (which isn't often b/c i'm either waking him to feed or feeding him the minute he wakes up). he'll sometimes stay awake for 1.5 hrs and not make a peep.

so. tell me to enjoy it and not worry. i mean, there's nothing i can do anyway, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2008, 10:18 PM

Both my boys were EXACTLY The same way, Ds#2 was still taking 3 longs naps per day at 12mos. He just has always been an extremely laid back little guy, even now at 16mos he sleeps 12-14hrs per night and takes 2 naps. I think some kids just need more sleep than others, I say enjoy it

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

Old 01-01-2008, 10:25 PM

Often babies are very sleepy the first couple weeks, and then start to "wake up" more.

My twins also, were very laid back and sleep pretty good. At 3 months old they started sleeping 6-9 hours a night (don't worry, it only lasted a few months! )

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
Old 01-02-2008, 01:26 AM

My ds Sean slept for five hours straight as a newborn. I would wake up and be dying to feed him (he was breastfed, I was in pain, lol) and would watch him sleep not sure whether to wake him up or not. Both my boys were pretty laid back, only cried when they needed something - diaper change, burped, fed. Every baby is different - you got a calm one. Of course, Mr. Laid Back Infant Sean was the kid who walked at 8 months and hasn't stopped going since, lol! So enjoy the peace while you can
Old 01-02-2008, 02:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My daughter was like this for the first 4 weeks or so.. was you baby a preemi? I had to wake Kailey up to feed her, and it was a battle keeping her awake to eat omg! it was IMO pretty cruel how we had to keep her awake because if not, she wouldn't have eaten at ALL. we'd undress her completely, get a washcloth and rub it on her face to wake her etc..

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

Old 01-02-2008, 02:55 AM

normal.

(well, maybe not normal in the sense of "common", but within normal range. don't worry, he could still be a terror of a toddler, I have living proof)

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
Old 01-02-2008, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

thanks all. genevieve was such a terror and, while i don't remember jack's infancy all that well, i do know it involved a good deal more crying than i'm getting with nicholas... so i guess i'm not used to such a chill baby.

thanks again.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:47 PM

Hi Melissa,

When I read your post I was thinking, wow, who is writing about MY baby? LOL!
Devon was a serious sleeper when she was an infant.

She never made a peep for the first 4 mos. or so. At 21 mos. she is still pretty quiet.
D does have hypotonia and dev. delays. Don't know if the quietness and the lack of crying was due to anything.
But she cries now! OH! how she cries when she is bothered by her reflux or teeth!

I say, if your DS is gaining weight, nursing fine, then you are just LUCKY!

Mary:

BTW. I grew up in Brooklyn! GO Brooklyn!

[FONT="Tahoma"][B]Mary:::, mommy to Devon girl: 3.30.2006 and Smile Miles 2.24.2009, a funky little monkey!

User Tag List