Any Insight/Advice (potty training problem) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-02-2008, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Andrew, whose been potty training 3 weeks and is nearly four years old, has never had an accident naked. I don't have to remind him or anything. So yay (I was and am so amazed..I thought it would be harder).

But. He consistently pees and poos in underwear. Which is how we ended up naked in the first place for training. Around the house yesterday I tried just pants. No pee but he pooped in them...resulting in poo on the floor. (we've had lots of underwear poops away from home--he poos at various times throughout the day so no planning it; and pees in underwear at home when we've tried it).

So we're back to naked today and no accidents at all. What do you think?
I have to be able to take him out...but it's so hard with him pooing in his pants especially.

Importantly maybe, he seems completely unaware or unconcerned that he's wet and/or poopy.

Yet he's talking a lot about being a "big boy" . Oh, he's been waking up dry in the morning the last few days. It's so strange that the clothes throw him off. I don't think it is that he has trouble getting them down...he doesn't even attempt to go potty with clothes on nor does he have any trouble taking all his clothes off to be naked when he wants to. He did pee consistently with just pants/no underwear around the house..then we had poop. Oh, yesterday we were shopping and, at my suggestion, he went pee potty. Less than 5-10 minutes later he made poop in the underwear. Didn't say a word.

What do I do?

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2008, 10:22 PM

Hmmm, that's odd. I'm going to throw out the obvious -- could he actually be confusing underpants for diapers? If you haven't maybe lay out clearly for him that underpants are not for peeing and pooping. If you have, and he seems to understand in theory, maybe the feel just throws him off. If your using briefs, could you try to switch to loose boxers? Maybe if they "feel" different enough from diapers, he won't get confused?
Old 01-02-2008, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Ya, that was my thought. So I did just loose pants (no undies) at home yesterday. He did pee on the potty but still poo in the pants. I don't get it.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Old 01-02-2008, 11:31 PM
Ok

I feel for you on the PTg.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:33 AM

Rachelle, try cross posting this in toddlers and childhood parenting forums. This really is a potty training issue that spans the gap between special needs and not. Sadly, I don't have any suggestions for you, except encouragement that you're reallly getting closer.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:34 AM

Logan (as you know NT) pooped in his underwear for quite a while. I can't remember if at the same time he was pooping on the potty when he was naked. So, I am just wondering if that is a pretty typical thing to do. I know that doesn't help....maybe I shouldn't have even posted I think what I am trying to say is just keep correcting him when he does it and praising when he goes in the potty and I think he will get it. Logan also would seem not to mind that he just pooped in his underwear which I didn't understand. I will say, that is when I bribed with 2 skittles every time he pooped on the potty and it worked. I am not saying that is right for everyone but I was willing to do it to stop cleaning poop out of underwear.

I hope he gets it soon for you and him. He is doing so great!!
Old 01-03-2008, 12:45 AM

My NT 6 yo pt'd between 2.5 and 3 years. He figured out the pee really easily. He pooped in his underpants until well after his 3rd birthday. He said it felt better, and I realized he prefered to squat to take care of business. Do you have one of those baby bjorn potties that he could sit on and his feet would touch the floor? Or a stool for under his feet while he's on the commode?

For a while, I'd put him on the toilet 10 minutes after a meal, and he'd poop more than half the time.

I can't even think about poop in the potty for Mark. He poops between 3 and 5 times/day, and it's horribly unpleasant stuff. I'm putting of pt'ing for this single reason, and I really shouldn't b/c I think he could at least pee in it. Maybe I need pullups?

User Tag List